2020 Draft Prospects

Bobby816

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I much rather build a dominant OL. 

I want Darnold having a cushy clean pocket next season. And a OL that opens up the run game. 

Absolutely. I’d rather build an OL than go WR. But the draft isn’t the only way to get OLineman. And the value might not be there when we pick. For me if Thomas, Wirfs and Young are gone when we pick and Jeudy or Lamb are there and we got a few OLineman in FA and even an edge... you have to go with a star WR there. What’s the point of protecting Darnold for him to throw to scrubs? He’s not Brady where he can make average guys look good

19 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

How is WR not a need? Crowder is our only WR under contract next year that actually plays. How many times have we tried to get a franchise QB and not given them any weapons now that has failed? Several. OL is hands down the biggest need. But for me WR is right after that. Yes I want an edge. But Jenkins as an edge is a lot better than our WR depth. 

I never said it wasn’t a need. But it’s an overblown position that’s extremely fixable by adding 1-2 mid level FAs and drafting them in day 2-3. You don’t need heavy investments into “star” WRs to build a rock solid unit. Look around the league and what’s working. 

Teams above .500 top 3 WRs:  

• Pats: Edelman (7th round pick), Sanu (acquired via trade), Dorsett (acquired via trade).
  • 49ers: Sanders (trade), Samuel (2nd), Bourne (UDFA)
  • Ravens: Brown (1st-25 overall), Snead (FA), Roberts (FA) 
  • Packers: Adams (2nd), Allison (7th), MVS (5th) 
  • Saints: Thomas (2nd), Ginn (FA), Smith (3rd)
  • Seahawks: Lockett (3rd), Metcalf (2nd), Gordon (FA) 
  • Vikings: Diggs (5th), Thielen (UDFA), Johnson (7th) 
  • Bills: Brown (FA), Beasley (FA), McKensie (FA).
  • Cowboys: Cooper (trade), Gallup (3rd), Cobb (FA)
  • Texans: Hopkins (1st-27 overall), Fuller (1st-21 overall), Stills (trade)
  • Colts: Hilton (3rd), Pascal (UDFA), Campbell (2nd) 
  • Chiefs: Hill (5th), Watkins (FA), Hardman (2nd) 
  • Rams: Kupp (3rd), Woods (FA), Cooks (trade) 
  • Raiders: Williams (FA), Renfrow (5th), Jones (trade)  

The list speaks for itself, and when you look at the teams that have used first rounders on receivers recently, what did they do first? Stabilize the OL (see Ravens). I’m not trying to ignore that it will be a need, but you can rebuild the unit by using less valuable draft capital/free agent dollars. First order of business is to build the foundation (OL, pass rush), then you can go find splashy toys. 

If you don’t take my word for it, take Daniel’s: 

Jets already have a good piece in Crowder. The smart approach would be to move on from Robby/Enunwa, bring back Thomas on the cheap, add someone via FA/trade, and invest two picks in WRs this upcoming draft. Problem solved. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1

Also keep in mind that Jeremiah has a close relationship with members of our front office and was considered for a front office role... he was a scout in Baltimore with JD, Alexander, and Savage, and worked for Savage in CLE/PHI.

This is what he say when discussing the WR vs. OL/EDGE/CB question: 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely. I’d rather build an OL than go WR. But the draft isn’t the only way to get OLineman. And the value might not be there when we pick. For me if Thomas, Wirfs and Young are gone when we pick and Jeudy or Lamb are there and we got a few OLineman in FA and even an edge... you have to go with a star WR there. What’s the point of protecting Darnold for him to throw to scrubs? He’s not Brady where he can make average guys look good

What about Corner? Jeff Okudah from Ohio State would be a great pick especially in our scheme. 

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I feel like we’re gonna stuck in no mans land in the draft. 

I was thinking that too because today we are valuing 5-6 guys, but guys end up flying up the boards every year and we may in position to take someone we weren’t thinking of originally and it turns out to be a blessing disguise. Assuming we are in the 8-12 range it’s still could find a guy fall. Wirfs May very well still be there too. Maybe we trade down for the first time ever (I know @Bobby816 I’m sick of talking about it too) and take a OT in that range and add another 2. I have faith that the guy making these decisions won’t be indecisive this time. 

16 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I feel like we’re gonna stuck in no mans land in the draft. 

I think its a pretty talented draft

even say we are at like 8, could see Jeudy falling there, maybe slight reach on Lamb, Wirfs, Jones like i mentioned earlier, trade down a lil bit, maybe Jeff Okudah Etc

Plenty of interesting opportunities and if the gm has half a brain he can do great things with our available resources this offseason

Jeudy is separated from a top echelon of WR class by 100 miles. If Laviska Shenault Jr. and/or Tee Higgins were being in talk for first WR off the board then it would make sense to save WR until 3rd round selection.   Annually, many WRs are good enough to be a slot receivers, nothing more, and Jets already have Jamison Crowder aboard.  Jeudy is clearly an universal WR and we should not look away. 

Problem with Gase is he doesn't draw up the offense basing on number one WR. He draws up offense to match all WRs' skill set and then leaves it to qb to find open WR, absenting the quick pass actions. That kind of coaching will make "ME" WR unhappy.  Taking 1st Round WR may lead to belief of "Go to Guy".  This part is confusing because Gase has yet to impressed Jets and community enough to believe in him for long term.  Jeudy may be useful for Jets with different HC and offense philosophy.  

Bottom line, you the fans claim that you believe in Joe Douglas when it comes to rebuilding the OL then you should be open minded about how JD and Gase collect the talents to bolster OL strength.  After seeing Darnold doing well behind THAT OL,  FA, mid rounder, or late rounder/UDFA are doable.  If you are looking for elite OL in NFL then you are wasting your time because it requires at least 3 or 4 1st round prospects or top veteran performers in same time.

It looks like Center class is not good enough to be 1st round validation.  It could mean Jets are able to find an acceptable Center in 3rd-5th range.   We will know more in February.

I was unable to watch the TV for Michigan's Josh Uche and Oregon State's Hamilcar Rashed Jr.  According to the stats, Rashed was productive. Uche wasn't.

Rashed Jr is enjoying the Junior breakout year by leading CFB in sacks (14) and TFL (22.5).   He is reportedly tall and rangy pass rusher with speed and tackling skill. Go pro or stay? I don't know but keep eyes peeled for him.

Uche is a growing prospect. He become a full time pass rusher for first time this year.  He was a force against Illinois and Maryland. That's it.  He could be a hidden gem for any place after 4th.  He is reportedly excellent at off snap speed as well as his speed in general.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:13 AM, jetskid007 said:

Also keep in mind that Jeremiah has a close relationship with members of our front office and was considered for a front office role... he was a scout in Baltimore with JD, Alexander, and Savage, and worked for Savage in CLE/PHI.

This is what he say when discussing the WR vs. OL/EDGE/CB question: 

3/4 of those teams you named have a superstar QB. Correct me if I’m wrong... but Darnold isn’t that.