2020 Draft Prospects

Bobby816

On 11/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, Bobby816 said:

I don't agree with this. If we sign 3 good OLineman in FA why not go WR in the draft?

If there is a super star receiver when pick we must take him  even in the first round, what is our record when we draft receivers in the later rounds that's right a big fat F. No more passing up a future offensive stars in the draft, like Davin Cook, and others like him in the past years. The only receivers we have the last six years were Brandon Marshall. Decker, Crowder. all picked up from other teams. And our new TE can't get on the field. Anybody who thinks we can get a # 1 WR in the later rounds better think again.

Edited by doumeyer

On 11/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, Bobby816 said:

Assume we get a 2OT and 1 OGs in FA (or even 1 OT and 2 OGs). A C in this draft isn't worth a top 10 pick. And after Thomas and Wirffs the value at OT that high in the draft really isn't warranted. When Jeudy certainly is worth that draft spot. Use that 2nd and one of the 3rds for a OT and C. There's also guys we can get in FA that can play multiple spots on the OL... Like Glasgow and Vaitai. Which we could even get both of those guys maybe.

My point was more so what good LT is hitting the market?  I just don't see a scenario where we go into the draft comfortable at LT.  It's great in theory that our OL is repaired in FA and we can draft a great weapon I just don't think it's realistic.  Good OL don't hit FA and if they do there is going to be stiff competition for them.

16 hours ago, doumeyer said:

If there is a super star receiver when pick we must take him  even in the first round, what is our record when we draft receivers in the later rounds that's right a big fat F. No more passing up a future offensive stars in the draft, like Davin Cook, and others like him in the past years. The only receivers we have the last six years were Brandon Marshall. Decker, Crowder. all picked up from other teams. And our new TE can't get on the field. Anybody who thinks we can get a # 1 WR in the later rounds better think again.

When you see the WRs on the board at the top of round 2 compared to the OTs and pass rushers I think you will change your mind about that statement.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

My point was more so what good LT is hitting the market?  I just don't see a scenario where we go into the draft comfortable at LT.  It's great in theory that our OL is repaired in FA and we can draft a great weapon I just don't think it's realistic.  Good OL don't hit FA and if they do there is going to be stiff competition for them.

There’s several versatile OL that will hit the market. Meaning they absolutely can play LT even if that’s where they don’t always. Also there’s some good RTs hitting the market that we can see as LTs too. Let me be clear rebuilding the OL is my main concern and I’d be ecstatic to draft 2 OLineman with our 1st 3 picks. My point is saying that if Thomas and Wirfs are gone and one of Jeudy or Lamb are there and we did in fact get 3 good OLinman in FA... I’d 100% draft the WR there.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

There’s several versatile OL that will hit the market. Meaning they absolutely can play LT even if that’s where they don’t always. Also there’s some good RTs hitting the market that we can see as LTs too. Let me be clear rebuilding the OL is my main concern and I’d be ecstatic to draft 2 OLineman with our 1st 3 picks. My point is saying that if Thomas and Wirfs are gone and one of Jeudy or Lamb are there and we did in fact get 3 good OLinman in FA... I’d 100% draft the WR there.

The last #1 receiver we drafted Was Santana Moss in 2001 that was any good. Look at our last 18 year drafting WR most came in the later rounds. 

2017 in the 3rd Ardarius Stewart  bust     4th rd, chris Hansen bust

2016  7 rd. Charone Peaka, bust   2rd. Davin Smith bust

2015   none

2014      4rd. Shaquelle Evans  bust   Jalen Saunders bust

2012      2rd Stephen Hill  super bust

AFTER SANTANA MOSS  only Jerome Cotchery was a first rate receiver we took in the 4th rd in 2004

Our luck with TE's is no better Chris Herndon can't even get on the field he is yet to prove he is a star

I agree with you point if there is a 5 star receiver when we pick, don't think twice draft him

On 11/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, Bobby816 said:

Assume we get a 2OT and 1 OGs in FA (or even 1 OT and 2 OGs). A C in this draft isn't worth a top 10 pick. And after Thomas and Wirffs the value at OT that high in the draft really isn't warranted. When Jeudy certainly is worth that draft spot. Use that 2nd and one of the 3rds for a OT and C. There's also guys we can get in FA that can play multiple spots on the OL... Like Glasgow and Vaitai. Which we could even get both of those guys maybe.

This is not a safe assumption - the tackle market isn't deep and we can't assume that we'll add 3 new starters in FA on the line alone (maybe 1 or 2 shoe-in starters, with the 3rd being someone who will have to compete for the job. And again, drafting a WR in the top 10 makes zero sense in this draft and for this team. Zero. Player's I'd take ahead of a WR in the top 10 include: Young, Wirfs, Thomas, Okudah, Wills, Chaisson, Simmons...

It may sound cliche, but what have former top 15 receivers done for their teams in order to help add wins for their teams? That list includes... Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Tavon Austin, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, AJ Green, and Julio Jones. Their teams are all struggling, and I'd argue the only WR who actually makes a significant difference in their team's success is Amari Cooper (originally a Raider). I don't think drafting a WR when you can draft players at positions with a clear correlation with sustainability and success (OL, EDGE) is a smart approach, especially considering how deep this class will be with WRs...

• Strongest positions in 2020 FA: QB, CB, EDGE
  • Strongest positions in 2020 NFL Draft: WR (arguably strongest ever), OL

Jets "plan" should be enter FA targeting the best players available at positions of need: that includes OL, one or two CBs, and an EDGE. The rest of the OL in free agency isn't that deep. If the Jets do have a top 10 pick, there absolutely should be a top 10 OL available in that group, and if not a top-notch defender. 

21 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

This is not a safe assumption - the tackle market isn't deep and we can't assume that we'll add 3 new starters in FA on the line alone (maybe 1 or 2 shoe-in starters, with the 3rd being someone who will have to compete for the job. And again, drafting a WR in the top 10 makes zero sense in this draft and for this team. Zero. Player's I'd take ahead of a WR in the top 10 include: Young, Wirfs, Thomas, Okudah, Wills, Chaisson, Simmons...

It may sound cliche, but what have former top 15 receivers done for their teams in order to help add wins for their teams? That list includes... Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Tavon Austin, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, AJ Green, and Julio Jones. Their teams are all struggling, and I'd argue the only WR who actually makes a significant difference in their team's success is Amari Cooper (originally a Raider). I don't think drafting a WR when you can draft players at positions with a clear correlation with sustainability and success (OL, EDGE) is a smart approach, especially considering how deep this class will be with WRs...

Jets "plan" should be enter FA targeting the best players available at positions of need: that includes OL, one or two CBs, and an EDGE. The rest of the OL in free agency isn't that deep. If the Jets do have a top 10 pick, there absolutely should be a top 10 OL available in that group, and if not a top-notch defender. 

Just now, doumeyer said:
22 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

As things stand now we will have 46.2 million in cap space in 2020, that is a far cry from the 100 million we had in 2019. This years FA picks where a disaster or one reason or another.

10 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

As things stand now we will have 46.2 million in cap space in 2020, that is a far cry from the 100 million we had in 2019. This years FA picks where a disaster or one reason or another.

And more important then cap space is the amount of guaranteed dollars they shelled out in 2019. They'll still likely signing one - possibly two - players to big contracts, but I think we should expect a lot of mid-tier FAs instead. 

43 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

And more important then cap space is the amount of guaranteed dollars they shelled out in 2019. They'll still likely signing one - possibly two - players to big contracts, but I think we should expect a lot of mid-tier FAs instead. 

Yea, you are probably right, I see it the same way.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

How is WR not a need? Crowder is our only WR under contract next year that actually plays. How many times have we tried to get a franchise QB and not given them any weapons now that has failed? Several. OL is hands down the biggest need. But for me WR is right after that. Yes I want an edge. But Jenkins as an edge is a lot better than our WR depth. 

9 hours ago, doumeyer said:

We should have $66 million before any cuts. I think we'll head in with around $85 million when its all said and done.

9 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Id prefer the mid tier guys. I would rather build a deeper team.