2020 Draft Prospects

Bobby816

Hard to project right now… but I think Young and Tua both declare. Purely a guess... but that's what I think. Meaning that I do believe that Burrow, Tua, Young, Okudah all for sure go before we draft. So IMO that makes us if we draft in the next few picks after that get a guy I want. 1 of Thomas, Wirfs or Jeudy (in that order).

I've been trying to do a lot of homework on the WRs recently. KJ Hamler is one I really love due to his playmaking ability, but the player I most recently studied could be one of the best pairings with Sam Darnold this draft has to offer given on their playing styles. That player is Justin Jefferson.  

A popular comparison floating around has been Davante Adams (Green Bay/Fresno State) and it's one of the easier comparisons to see. Adams was one of my favorite WR prospects ever since becoming a draft fanatic (right there with Hakeem Nicks and Odell Beckham) - and I see a lot of the same traits; he's not the fastest guy on the field but has great instincts and is phenomenal at making contested catches. Same body types and running ability (Jefferson is listed at 6'3, 193 but he looks closer to 6'1/6'2 and a little thicker). He's used a lot like the NFL version of Adams where he's lined up all over the formation and many times out of the slot because he is fearless over the middle and is great at making catches in traffic. By far his best trait (and the reason why the Jets should be keying in on this kid) is his ability to adjust himself open. There were a lot of plays I saw where he worked back to his QB when plays broke down or showed tremendous instincts/improvisational skills running routes which allowed him to find the soft spots in coverage. He doesn't give up on plays and when you consider how frequently Darnold goes off script, this is an important trait for a receiver to have... it's the same why Sam's connection with Herndon was so strong last year as well. Not every player has that ability, but Jefferson does. 

Main concern is that his routes are not well defined yet. Kind of looks like Mike Williams minus the elite size/strength. It makes me question how effective he can be in the short passing game/fast developing plays. He's only played in 26 collegian games so he has plenty of room to grow, but it would be a mistake to expect him to be able to be a starter day 1... needs time to develop his route tree. 

McShay put him in round 1 today, but I'm not sure where he goes. I thought Adams was a first round receiver and he fell to mid-round 2 in a loaded 2014 WR draft class due to the same concerns (route running ability, athletic traits). I think Jefferson is a possible late-round 1 in many drafts who could fall to mid-round 2/early-round 3 in a deep class when teams overanalyze some of his limitations. He may take a few years to develop into a true #1 - but he has that ability. 

If you forced me to pick one receiver in this entire draft class to grow with Darnold it would probably be Jefferson considering price (assume 2nd round), offensive fit, and complementary skill set. (1) taking him in round 2 allows you to grab an OL/EDGE in round 1; (2) Gase constantly moves around his flanker/split end and plays them out of the slot which is where Jefferson does very well, and a lot of the routes in this offense are designed to open up for another player... If you watch Crowder get open, it's not that he's always running a precise route: it's that he's reading how the defense covers the play and is improvising his route to get open, which is what Jefferson routinely does... He also provides us with another weapon to make contested catches which is sorely needed. But again, (3) the best skill he has is being able to mimic the QB when plays break down and adjusting accordingly... he's going to be a fit for defenses if paired with a QB like Darnold/Mahomes/Murray/Wilson. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I've been trying to do a lot of homework on the WRs recently. KJ Hamler is one I really love due to his playmaking ability, but the player I most recently studied could be one of the best pairings with Sam Darnold this draft has to offer given on their playing styles. That player is Justin Jefferson.  

A popular comparison floating around has been Davante Adams (Green Bay/Fresno State) and it's one of the easier comparisons to see. Adams was one of my favorite WR prospects ever since becoming a draft fanatic (right there with Hakeem Nicks and Odell Beckham) - and I see a lot of the same traits; he's not the fastest guy on the field but has great instincts and is phenomenal at making contested catches. Same body types and running ability (Jefferson is listed at 6'3, 193 but he looks closer to 6'1/6'2 and a little thicker). He's used a lot like the NFL version of Adams where he's lined up all over the formation and many times out of the slot because he is fearless over the middle and is great at making catches in traffic. By far his best trait (and the reason why the Jets should be keying in on this kid) is his ability to adjust himself open. There were a lot of plays I saw where he worked back to his QB when plays broke down or showed tremendous instincts/improvisational skills running routes which allowed him to find the soft spots in coverage. He doesn't give up on plays and when you consider how frequently Darnold goes off script, this is an important trait for a receiver to have... it's the same why Sam's connection with Herndon was so strong last year as well. Not every player has that ability, but Jefferson does. 

Main concern is that his routes are not well defined yet. Kind of looks like Mike Williams minus the elite size/strength. It makes me question how effective he can be in the short passing game/fast developing plays. He's only played in 26 collegian games so he has plenty of room to grow, but it would be a mistake to expect him to be able to be a starter day 1... needs time to develop his route tree. 

McShay put him in round 1 today, but I'm not sure where he goes. I thought Adams was a first round receiver and he fell to mid-round 2 in a loaded 2014 WR draft class due to the same concerns (route running ability, athletic traits). I think Jefferson is a possible late-round 1 in many drafts who could fall to mid-round 2/early-round 3 in a deep class when teams overanalyze some of his limitations. He may take a few years to develop into a true #1 - but he has that ability. 

If you forced me to pick one receiver in this entire draft class to grow with Darnold it would probably be Jefferson considering price (assume 2nd round), offensive fit, and complementary skill set. (1) taking him in round 2 allows you to grab an OL/EDGE in round 1; (2) Gase constantly moves around his flanker/split end and plays them out of the slot which is where Jefferson does very well, and a lot of the routes in this offense are designed to open up for another player... If you watch Crowder get open, it's not that he's always running a precise route: it's that he's reading how the defense covers the play and is improvising his route to get open, which is what Jefferson routinely does... He also provides us with another weapon to make contested catches which is sorely needed. But again, (3) the best skill he has is being able to mimic the QB when plays break down and adjusting accordingly... he's going to be a fit for defenses if paired with a QB like Darnold/Mahomes/Murray/Wilson. 

I like JJ as well. Some good WR will fall to us in the 2nd it’s just who. We messed up in 2014 and went TE with great WRs still there and it hurt us. Can’t do that this draft in just as talented of a class.

WRs we could have had that draft in Round 2? Adams, AR15 and Landry.

Ideally for me we get Thomas or Wirfs in Round 1 and get a WR Round 2 or even Creed at Center if he falls.

My WR rankings as of now are this...

1. Jeudy (only for this if we get 2-3 good starting OLIneman in FA)

2. Lamb (see above) I'll also state that I think both these guys have top 10 talent so if we are drafting in the top 10 they're worthy of this area.

3. Ruggs (would be a reach a bit in the top 10 for me but actually fits what Gase likes in a WR)

4. Higgins (I think is getting overlooked right now and I think can be a legit #1 WR)

This is where I think one of these guys can fall to us in Round 2

5. Smith (similar skill set to that of Ruggs)

6. Jefferson (Really like JJ as a prospect and see #1 talent in him.

7. Shenault (will get over drafted IMO. He will be a combine freak I think. But I see that Perriman type player out of him.

These are guys I'd maybe rather go another position than draft them in Round 2, but I still like.

8. Reagor (I see a less talented Jeudy in him)

9. Johnson (I see a less talented Jefferson in him)

10. Aijuk (kind oif a guy that does everything good but nothing great)

Don't think we're talking about USC LT Austin Jackson enough. I read a blurb from Dane Brugler that said some in the scouting community view him in the same tier as Thomas, Wirfs. A lot of these guys are going to get drafted not necessarily by order of rank, but how they "fill" each teams offensive line voids. A team looking for a modern pass-blocking LT could find themselves falling for this guy. Has some tidying to do, but a very functional athlete.  

I personally love Tristan Wirfs - I think he has the tools to be an elite OL regardless of position - but if a team is looking for a prototypical LT it wouldn't surprise me to hear Jackson's name called earlier. In reviewing his tape, I caught myself reminiscing about D'Brick... lots of similarities in their games. 

4 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Don't think we're talking about USC LT Austin Jackson enough. I read a blurb from Dane Brugler that said some in the scouting community view him in the same tier as Thomas, Wirfs. A lot of these guys are going to get drafted not necessarily by order of rank, but how they "fill" each teams offensive line voids. A team looking for a modern pass-blocking LT could find themselves falling for this guy. Has some tidying to do, but a very functional athlete.  

I personally love Tristan Wirfs - I think he has the tools to be an elite OL regardless of position - but if a team is looking for a prototypical LT it wouldn't surprise me to hear Jackson's name called earlier. In reviewing his tape, I caught myself reminiscing about D'Brick... lots of similarities in their games. 

Would be perfectly happy with Jackson. Would rather Thomas or Wirfs... but I certainly wouldn’t be upset at the pick. 

12 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

If we ended with pick #7 and you told me could trade back and get Alaric Jackson, I'd be happy with that. Of course I love Thomas and Wirfs, but I think Aj is a franchise LT as well. 

Alaric Jackson or Austin Jackson? Both good prospects, but Austin is the guy who warrants top 15 convo imo. Alaric is more of a day 2 guy. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Alaric Jackson or Austin Jackson? Both good prospects, but Austin is the guy who warrants top 15 convo imo. Alaric is more of a day 2 guy. 

I just realized I didn't type the first sentence. lol 

I was meaning to say I like Austin, but I really like Alaric more than others. If I'm good with trading back for him because I believe he can be a franchise LT. I haven't watched much of Austin yet, but I've heard good things about him. We're in a perfect position to get our LT. This WR class is really deep, so I honestly don't care about grabbing one in the first unless we grab Trent Williams.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Whether I agree or not, I have heard that the Jets (Gase) see Edoga as next year's starting LT. We'll see. He had a rough year, but is young and talented. If this is the case, gotta go get an elite LG (Thuney) and beef up at RT with a draft pick. 

That would be a monumental mistake. He hasn’t yet to prove he’s even an NFL OT let alone a starting LT. I hope what you heard is honestly a joke lol.

The good thing is a lot of the top tackles in this years draft seem flexible. Leatherwood, Willis, Wirfs etc.  have all played on both the right and left sides. I’d have no problem keeping Beachum and starting a draft pick on the right side and grooming him to take over in year two. 

Im not sold on Edoga at all. If there’s something there that we haven’t seen yet and he can be a starting tackle than great. He is young and I’m not writing him off yet. We can’t afford to give up on him yet. 

17 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Whether I agree or not, I have heard that the Jets (Gase) see Edoga as next year's starting LT. We'll see. He had a rough year, but is young and talented. If this is the case, gotta go get an elite LG (Thuney) and beef up at RT with a draft pick. 

That would be an awful plan. Edoga did nothing this year to warrant a starting spot. His play showed he’s a depth guy.