2020 Draft Prospects

Bobby816

10 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I think you are severely overrating Jordan Jenkins. Explosive athleticism? When? Where? He’s upped his sack numbers and he plays the edge well but not great. At 13 million he can kick rocks. He’s not really a difference maker either. He doesn’t constantly generate pressure when we desperately need it. His sacks have also tended to come in bunches. I like him and would like to keep him but definitely around what we gave Henry Anderson and nowhere near the players you compared him to. Even though I don’t like PFF as much as you all do...he’s never graded out to well on there either.

I'm not seeking to overrate him by any means, I'm telling you what the history of the market will dictate. I specifically mentioned "late bloomer" for a reason. We're seeing more teams take a chance and sign players based on what they project to be, and 25 year old Jenkins is going to be a player who falls into that category. He has enough qualities that teams around the league will treat him how we treated Calvin Pace: high floor, but still a lot of potential that if untapped, will be a boon for a franchise. For christ sakes, we were willing to pay Anthony Barr 5 years, $75 million ($15 million APY) to play a position he had never spent a full season playing... all on a projection. Have to realize that $13 million today is not what it was 5 years ago. 

As far as his explosiveness, the guy had a 1.58 10 yard split, 38" vertical, and 123" broad jump. That was the best 10 yard time in his combine class, second best vert (behind Leonard Floyd), and 5th best broad jump. Last time I checked, the 10 yard/vert/broad are the best indicators for explosive athletic ability, with the shuttle and 3-cone best indicators of hip flexion and twitch

Edited by jetskid007

If we sign 2 OL and draft 2 OL then I’m comfortable with where things are going for the Line. 

I want Beachum and Lewis back on the left side with 2 Vets stepping in at C and RG and a rookie RT, who will transition to LT next year. Then next year we let the developmental Center take over and draft another mammoth at RT. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm not seeking to overrate him by any means, I'm telling you what the history of the market will dictate. I specifically mentioned "late bloomer" for a reason. We're seeing more teams take a chance and sign players based on what they project to be, and 25 year old Jenkins is going to be a player who falls into that category. He has enough qualities that teams around the league will treat him how we treated Calvin Pace: high floor, but still a lot of potential that if untapped, will be a boon for a franchise. For christ sakes, we were willing to pay Anthony Barr 5 years, $75 million ($15 million APY) to play a position he had never spent a full season playing... all on a projection. Have to realize that $13 million today is not what it was 5 years ago. 

As far as his explosiveness, the guy had a 1.58 10 yard split, 38" vertical, and 123" broad jump. That was the best 10 yard time in his combine class, second best vert (behind Leonard Floyd), and 5th best broad jump. Last time I checked, the 10 yard/vert/broad are the best indicators for explosive athletic ability, with the shuttle and 3-cone best indicators of hip flexion and twitch

I agree with this. Also having a legit pass rusher on the other side (assuming we get one on FA). Could only help him and the whole front 7 for that matter in the pass rush. IN turn making the secondary better just bc they dont have to cover as long.

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with this. Also having a legit pass rusher on the other side (assuming we get one on FA). Could only help him and the whole front 7 for that matter in the pass rush. IN turn making the secondary better just bc they dont have to cover as long.

When you consider how young Jenkins is, his explosive athleticism, improved play and production each year, versatility, and his leadership qualities, I can easily see someone paying him the $13m per year Preston Smith got, if not more, seeing that he's a potential late-blooming breakout pass rusher.

We have a lot of cap room, but we don't have enough to be signing more than 2-3 players to 4 year contracts heavy on guarantees, and we know at least one of them will be an offensive lineman. Hence, if we re-sign Jenkins, I think there should be very little expectation that we would sign another top-tier pass rusher; none of us should be sleeping on Phillips and Basham (especially Phillips, who despite low sack numbers gave me some serious Michael Bennett/Trey Flowers/Matthew Judon vibes throughout the season) and will look to re-stock the position in the draft every year in order to create a pipeline at the position. I know fans want a difference maker sooner-rather-than-later, but the only way I see that happening is if (1) we let Jenkins walk; or (2) we find one in the draft.

I don't see us signing both a "legit pass rusher" for 4-5 years, $17.5m+ APY and Jenkins to a 4 year deal with $13m+ APY. It'll cost too much money. I anticipate the Jets will either let him walk and attempt to sign Ngakoue/Fowler/Dupree/Clowney or just resign Jenkins and seek to build around what we have in the draft. We have money, but not enough to sign both and rebuild the OL. 

Other example why Jenkins is going to get paid a higher APY than many are anticipating: Whitney Mercilus. Signed a 4 year, 52.5m extension at 29 years old. In 32 games, he's had 11.5 sacks, 14 TFL, and 29 QB hits. 

Edited by jetskid007

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I want Isaiah Simmons so bad, dude is gonna be a nightmare at the next level

No spot for him really. We have Mosley and Williamson. And even our depth after them is good. That would just be an awful pick. And if he moved to an in the box safety for a team... we have that already in Adams.

The guy that impressed me last night was Tee Higgins. I feel a couple of the calls against him were questionable. His block I thought was borderline legal. And I love a WR that isn't afraid to block. Also his TD catch that got called back I didn't see as a push off. This isn't biased at all either bc I wanted LSU to win. But he impressed me with those 2 plays that got called back, his td run and a few of his tough catches.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

No spot for him really. We have Mosley and Williamson. And even our depth after them is good. That would just be an awful pick. And if he moved to an in the box safety for a team... we have that already in Adams.

The guy that impressed me last night was Tee Higgins. I feel a couple of the calls against him were questionable. His block I thought was borderline legal. And I love a WR that isn't afraid to block. Also his TD catch that got called back I didn't see as a push off. This isn't biased at all either bc I wanted LSU to win. But he impressed me with those 2 plays that got called back, his td run and a few of his tough catches.

I view him like a Jamie Collins/Anthony Barr type, he’s played some DE at Clemson at times and I feel as though he’s a special enough athlete to make it work and excel at.

7 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I view him like a Jamie Collins/Anthony Barr type, he’s played some DE at Clemson at times and I feel as though he’s a special enough athlete to make it work and excel at.

I'll have to watch more of his pass rush skills. Im pretty sold on only an OT or WR in Round 1. But I still like studying these prospects.

19 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

I find it very positive that Douglas and, according to the article, about a dozen Jets scouts are on hand at the Shrine game practices. I expect the same at next weeks senior bowl. The first and second rounds of the draft will be filled with underclassmen but the third and up will be Mostly these seniors

With Leatherwood and now possibly Wirfs heading back to school, it’s looking less likely that a top ten rated tackle will fall to us. 

I know a lot of us are sick of best player available, but if Simmons falls to us he should be the pick. He’s very similar to Jamal but he’s a fast playmaker. Something this team needs more of on both sides of the ball. 

People were excited when we thought Barr was signing last off season and I think this guy is a better version of Barr. So many ways to use him and Jamal. Greg Williams will come up with some good stuff.  

Of course, he’s only my choice if all the big tackles and both Jeudy and Lamb are off the board.  SImmons  has top 5 ability and could easily be taken way before we pick. We’re in a bit of limbo pick wise, right on the edge of the elite players ranked so far. Can’t wait to see how things play out. 

35 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

With Leatherwood and now possibly Wirfs heading back to school, it’s looking less likely that a top ten rated tackle will fall to us. 

I know a lot of us are sick of best player available, but if Simmons falls to us he should be the pick. He’s very similar to Jamal but he’s a fast playmaker. Something this team needs more of on both sides of the ball. 

People were excited when we thought Barr was signing last off season and I think this guy is a better version of Barr. So many ways to use him and Jamal. Greg Williams will come up with some good stuff.  

Of course, he’s only my choice if all the big tackles and both Jeudy and Lamb are off the board.  SImmons  has top 5 ability and could easily be taken way before we pick. We’re in a bit of limbo pick wise, right on the edge of the elite players ranked so far. Can’t wait to see how things play out. 

Not much convincing for me. He’s Jamal Adams in a bigger body. Having the two of them on defense together would be epic. 

Tristan Wirfs officially declaring. Good news for us. 

The last time 3 OL went in the top 10 was in 2013, when Eric Fisher (1), Luke Joeckel (2), and Lane Johnson (4), all went in the top 5. Before that was 2008, and before that was 2002. 

I know what the mock drafts are saying, but if the Jets stick at 11, there should be a good chance that one of the top 3 tackles are available at 11. All the teams that need OL help (listed below) are not going to go with an OL. Some teams will seek to address bigger needs (i.e. QB), others will fix their units in FA. 

• #4 NYG - Gettleman has never drafted an OL in round 1. That's not to say they won't this year, but he has a keen eye for the position and usually seeks to build through day 2-3. 
  • #5 MIA - a reliable source has told me that Tua will be the pick, and likely via trade up to #3. 
  • #6 LAC - most fluid situation on the list. They could really use a tackle, but that won't have fans buying PSL's and they need a QBOTF. Free agency will uncover their plans. 
  • #7 CAR - needs all over the board. Outside chance they take a T, but they have made heavy investments in the position of late and don't see them giving up on Greg Little so quickly. 
  • #8 ARI - they can use a lot of players too. You would think OL to protect Kyler, but I think they resign Humphries and address RT in FA or later in the draft. 
  • #10 CLE - it's anyone's guess what they do in the draft with DePodesta having major say. Under he and Sashi Brown, the drafts were epic failures, with Joe Schobert becoming the only "building block" player in a 14 player 2016 draft class, and 2017 turned out to be fairly frustrating too (Garrett was an obvious pick at #1, Peppers is no longer with the team, Njoku has been Ebron-levels of inconsistent, and Ogunjobi has been solid). My guess is they go OL here, but could easily see a team trading up for an elite WR before the wave of WR needy teams begins (NYJ #11, LVR #12, IND #13). 
  • Like 3