2020 Draft Prospects

Bobby816

A several scouts were puzzled about how in the world Isaiah Wilson handled RT without demonstrating good techniques.  It sounds like UGA may not actually coach techniques on OL.   Free style OL it seems. 

Yeah, Dane is correct that OT position is weak. That is why I am struggling to find someone who can stick at LT after first 40 draft picks.   I may accept Mekhi Becton at 11 despite weight issue. Hey, he can move around well.

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You know my take that I want an OT at 11. I also value WR for us equally. That being said... your assessment is pretty much assuming we go WR at 48. Which obviously isn’t guaranteed. So let’s say we go OT at 11 (would be happy with this), but then go Edge, CB or even another OLineman at 48. Now you’re talking a decent drop off in Round 3 at WR. This is also assuming we draft a WR in Round 3. I agree that protecting Darnold should be the main focus. But we can’t keep giving him mid round guys that we hope work out as weapons. We need to give him legit weapons to see this team succeed. We haven’t done this in forever.

That's the point- there is not that big of a drop off. You're going to see receivers that the Jets had rated as top 50 players available at 68 and 79. Like, people in the media and casual fans are stacking their big boards and writing mock drafts yet don't know how to place WRs because the supply outweighs the demand, but that's not how teams do it. They assign a grade to a player, then they stack their board. Because we don't operate in a vacuum, they stack their board their resources as they see fit: some are strict BPA, whereas others rank their board while considering outside influences, i.e., a player that they have a high grade on ranked lower on their board as a means of saying "if this player falls to X spot, we have to take him... he's too good to pass up on here even if we don't need him."  Outside the 8 guys I mentioned earlier, there are at least another 7 WRs who are FIRM round 2 prospects regardless of draft. Some respected voices (Daniel Jeremiah) would say there are more. When all is said and done, most NFL teams will have around 30 WRs with top 100 grades this year (stay with me, this does not necessarily mean they will be ranked in the top 100 on their final board, only means their raw grade typically would have them as a top 100 player). Therein lies the problem: WR is only one of 10 position groups in the NFL, and of the 32 teams in the league, about 10 teams have either heavily invested heavy draft capital or money at those positions, which means they're unlikely to be spending Round 1 or Round 2 picks at the position. Inevitably, good players will fall because of it. The supply outweighs the demand, meaning there will be WR prospects who are rated as top 50 players that fall to the 3rd round, and top 100 WR prospects that fall into rounds 4-5. So the truth is, no, there is not going to be a huge drop off at WR. It's constant until the 6th round.

Two perfect examples of this are Gabriel Davis and Quartney Davis. Both guys are rock solid 3rd round WRs in most drafts, meaning most teams will give them 3rd round grades. Some have said they could go end of round 1, some put them in the 2nd, but for the most part they are slightly flawed prospects who would usually have a grade that aligns with a top 75 player on most draft boards, yet we're seeing them go in the 4th and 5th round of mock drafts. It all comes down to supply and demand. Maybe they go in round 3 or higher if a particular team loves them enough, but there's a good chance that they fall to day 3. Does the round they were selected in/the ultimate selection they were picked make them an inferior player? No! Just because a lower pick was invested in a player does not mean they are a player less likely to "work out"... need to look at this draft class more arbitrarily and throw the prevailing system out the window. There will be players in round 3-5 who are really good WR prospects that just happen to fall because the supply doesn't meet the demand, and teams that take advantage of that are going to come away happy campers. 

I have changed my mock too many time.  The latest one is

1st- LT Andrew Thomas, Georgia

2nd- EDGE Terrell Lewis, Alabama (CB Trae Waynes as FA signee) or CB AJ Terrell, Clemson (Edge JPP)

3rd- WR Antonio Gibson, Memphis

3rd- WR Gabriel Davis, Central Florida

4th- G Cesar Ruiz, Michigan.

5th- RB Darrynton Evans, Appalachian State

6th- C Luke Juriga, Western Michigan.

Was watching Brett Kollmann's video of the senior bowl and a name that came up was Bradlee Anae out of Utah. He was compared to a Brandon Graham type OLB.. Doesn't have the best measurable but is a relentless down hill pass rusher who could fit well in Greg William's system.

Could be a JD type of player if the Brandon Graham comparison holds true. 

Edited by Sapo28

1 hour ago, Sapo28 said:

Was watching Brett Kollmann's video of the senior bowl and a name that came up was Bradlee Anae out of Utah. He was compared to a Brandon Graham type OLB.. Doesn't have the best measurable but is a relentless down hill pass rusher who could fit well in Greg William's system.

Anae is a climbing prospect.  Definitely a prospect Williams is looking at.

3 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

I like Anae. I just don’t want any valuable pick spent on an edge. Ideally for me we resign Jenkins (might be on the brink of being a 10 sack guy) and get Beasley in FA. Making edge not a huge need.

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I like Anae. I just don’t want any valuable pick spent on an edge. Ideally for me we resign Jenkins (might be on the brink of being a 10 sack guy) and get Beasley in FA. Making edge not a huge need.

Nah... signing Beasley for one season or situational pass rushing role does not cross Edge off as a solid need.

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I wouldn't want to spend anything higher than a 3rd or 4th on one. So many mocks have us taking an edge in the 2nd which should be saved for a talented WR, especially if Robby is out. 

6 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

I wouldn't want to spend anything higher than a 3rd or 4th on one. So many mocks have us taking an edge in the 2nd which should be saved for a talented WR, especially if Robby is out. 

The selection in 2nd round is kind of too far for a borderline 1st round WR to be fallen. Take one if one actually falls into that selection. Otherwise, WR isn't locked for that selection.

15 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Nah... signing Beasley for one season or situational pass rushing role does not cross Edge off as a solid need.

He’s 27. He certainly could be an answer. We need offensive talent quite a bit more than an edge rusher. So imo I don’t want any valuable picks spent on defense.

25 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Jenkins, Beasley, Basham, Copeland and Philips in an EDGE by committee thing works for me. If Q can become the interior threat we hope, Fatukasi takes another step and we get good snaps from Goose and Shep then I’m okay with that up front for now. 

My thinking exactly. I should also note that I think Williams can get the most out of Beasley. That being said... I don’t think Beasley will come on just a 1yr deal. Teams will have to pay for him and give him length to his contract. I don’t think he’ll be as cheap as we think. I think adding one of Darby or Waynes and Beasley is all this defense needs (besides resigning Poole and Jenkins). 

As of 2/17/20

Combine participants to eye on.

For outside WR, OL and RB

Open House.

Slot or TE

Not sure what Gase wants to incorporate in his plan for inside routes offensively. Herndon and Crowder only? Herndon and other pass catching TE? Crowder and other WR?  Because there are too many WRs to cover, I may leave a several out. My apologies for that.

Big or Strong:

TE Hunter Bryant, Washington.
TE Brycen Hopkins, Purdue.
TE Adam Trautman, Dayton.
WR Tyler Johnson, Minnesota.
WR Devin Duvernay, Texas.

Quick or Fast:

WR KJ Hamler, Penn State.
WR KJ Hill, Ohio State.
WR James Proche, SMU.
WR Malcolm Perry, Navy. (Also Change of Pace RB).

Outside-ability:

WR Antonio Gibson, Memphis.
WR Quartney Davis, Texas A&M.
WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame.
WR Van Jefferson, Florida.

WR Lynn Bowden Jr, Kentucky. ( Also Wildcat QB/RB).

Edge

Not going to discuss who should Jets sign as FA. I want JPP and a few of you want Vic Beasley. Whatever!

1st Round as a lack of FA signing for that particular spot:

Chase Young, Ohio State.
K'Lavon Chaisson, LSU.

Night 2:

Terrell Lewis, Alabama.
Josh Uche, Michigan.
Jonathan Greenard, Florida. (Sit back and take only approach)

Late Round Developmental:

Alton Robinson, Syracuse.
Kendall Coleman, Syracuse.
Alex Highsmith, Charlotte.

Jordan Jenkins Situation

Whether or not Jets re-sign him, we still need to exercise due diligence for that spot; starting or reserve.  Kyle Phillips could bulk to play lower digit technique or lose some weight to play higher digit technique.

AJ Epenesa, Iowa (Could be full time 4-3?)
Bradlee Anae, Utah.
Curtis Weaver, Boise State. (Similar to Phillips)
Jabari Zuniga, Florida.
DJ Wonnum, South Carolina.

CB

Even though I am rooting for Blessuan Austin and Kyron Brown, Jets need a truly sound CB to play LCB or upgrading RCB with newly signed handling LCB.

Legit CB:

Jeff Okudah, Ohio State (Top Prospect).
Jeff Gladney, TCU.
Jaylon Johnson, Utah.
Michael Ojemudia, Iowa.
AJ Terrell, Clemson.

Safety with CB-ability:

Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne.
Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois.

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 1