The Official Trevor Lawrence 2021 Draft Prospect Thread

brushmyhair

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:11 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I like him a lot but hope he's not another Christian Hackenburg.

I'm not Lawrence worshiper but he is far from Hackenburg, just off of what he does outside of the pocket and mechanics. He does need to recognize coverages faster, but he is ultra talented, more than Hack could ever be

On 9/9/2019 at 1:24 AM, Awsi Dooger said:

Gad, I thought there would be more talk about Lawrence's new style and how many hits he took on Saturday. That was ridiculous. I'll roll right. Take a whack at me. I'll roll left. Take another crack at me. What could possibly go wrong?

It seems like Lawrence learned exactly the wrong lesson from 2018. Instead of honoring that big hit he took at Syracuse last season and making sure he would lessen those risks, Lawrence brainstormed to gain 10+ pounds and to use his legs more. Well, that's wonderful for a guy who thinks he is invincible. But as we've already discussed in this thread, his frame allows such a massive target area to begin with.

As I watched the NFL season openers today it was impossible not to project Trevor Lawrence into those conditions, with one edge threat after another to all that exposure. 

BTW, Tua continues to hold steady at 3 yards higher per attempt than Lawrence, dating to the beginning of 2018. It's basically one guy at 11 YPA, the other guy at 8 YPA, yet somehow conventional wisdom prefers the 8 YPA guy as vastly superior, based on one game.

Justin Fields is also better than Lawrence 

On 09/09/2019 at 5:24 AM, Awsi Dooger said:

Gad, I thought there would be more talk about Lawrence's new style and how many hits he took on Saturday. That was ridiculous. I'll roll right. Take a whack at me. I'll roll left. Take another crack at me. What could possibly go wrong?

It seems like Lawrence learned exactly the wrong lesson from 2018. Instead of honoring that big hit he took at Syracuse last season and making sure he would lessen those risks, Lawrence brainstormed to gain 10+ pounds and to use his legs more. Well, that's wonderful for a guy who thinks he is invincible. But as we've already discussed in this thread, his frame allows such a massive target area to begin with.

As I watched the NFL season openers today it was impossible not to project Trevor Lawrence into those conditions, with one edge threat after another to all that exposure. 

BTW, Tua continues to hold steady at 3 yards higher per attempt than Lawrence, dating to the beginning of 2018. It's basically one guy at 11 YPA, the other guy at 8 YPA, yet somehow conventional wisdom prefers the 8 YPA guy as vastly superior, based on one game.

It’s pretty easy to have a ridiculous YPA when you can just throw a pop pass to one of your wideouts who is twice as fast as the guy failing to guard him, and watch him jet 80 yards to the end zone.

I’m not sure Lawrence is close to as infallible as the media make him out, but with Tua it’s even more pronounced. He sucked in the two games against tough competition last year. I’m not seeing a #1 pick there, at all.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 1:53 PM, Aztec Hammer said:

It’s pretty easy to have a ridiculous YPA when you can just throw a pop pass to one of your wideouts who is twice as fast as the guy failing to guard him, and watch him jet 80 yards to the end zone.

I’m not sure Lawrence is close to as infallible as the media make him out, but with Tua it’s even more pronounced. He sucked in the two games against tough competition last year. I’m not seeing a #1 pick there, at all.

So Tua isn't a number 1 pick because of two games? That seems little harsh of a evaluation imo. He's started off well again this season and showed plenty last year too. Tua still has time to grow much the same way Mayfield grew over his years in Texas Tech and OU.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:54 PM, Danger said:

Linebacker Micah Parsons will be a 1st round pick in April 2021, Book it.

That is almost impossible in this day and age of football unless he shows to be this amazing pass rusher and really he is not that.  Love his coverage at LB though, that is elite and special, good in space but he needs to get stronger and be a little more physical at the point of attack I feel.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:53 PM, Aztec Hammer said:

Ok so Trevor Lawrence is what bad?  And so is Tua?  Ummm ok, both have looked great this season, sure Trevor has made mistakes but he more than passes the eye test and has a rocket for an arm.  Will face adversity this year and next because of the expectation level but he is so far and away the best QB prospect in college especially in his class and same could be said for Tua.  I would take either one over Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Goff, Trubisky and possibly even Wentz as highly drafted QBs.  

If Lawrence and Tua do not look like elite QB prospects then who the hell does?  

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:
On 9/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, Danger said:

That is almost impossible in this day and age of football unless he shows to be this amazing pass rusher and really he is not that.  Love his coverage at LB though, that is elite and special, good in space but he needs to get stronger and be a little more physical at the point of attack I feel.

He was a top 10 prospect as a Defensive End, and he has a nose for the football, he reads the play so well and he has great athleticism for a Linebacker, I know not many LBers get drafted early these days, but I'm very confident he will.

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

He was a top 10 prospect as a Defensive End, and he has a nose for the football, he reads the play so well and he has great athleticism for a Linebacker, I know not many LBers get drafted early these days, but I'm very confident he will.

My mistake I thought you said #1 pick overall in the draft, not just a 1st rounder.  I agree with that, he will be a 1st rounder if he keeps up this level of play no question about it, LBs are hard to get much less guys who can cover and run like him.  Still think he needs to get more physical and strong at the point of attack to become really elite and adding some pass rush ability would help also.  Luketa looks the part physically and nice to see him getting a little more play as well.  

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Ok so Trevor Lawrence is what bad?  And so is Tua?  Ummm ok, both have looked great this season, sure Trevor has made mistakes but he more than passes the eye test and has a rocket for an arm.  Will face adversity this year and next because of the expectation level but he is so far and away the best QB prospect in college especially in his class and same could be said for Tua.  I would take either one over Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Goff, Trubisky and possibly even Wentz as highly drafted QBs.  

If Lawrence and Tua do not look like elite QB prospects then who the hell does?  

I did not say Lawrence is bad. Not once. I said he is not as infallible a prospect as he is being made out. And that’s because he is being made out to be “the greatest qb prospect ever”. Lawrence is an elite prospect, that’s not in doubt and I have never said otherwise.

Tua on the other hand, yeah, I just personally don’t see him as elite a qb prospect as most seem to. It’s one thing being on a vastly superior team and throwing to wide open Jeudy, Ruggs and co. I am more interested in what he is like when the playing field is level, and against Georgia and Clemson I saw a qb that was shellshocked by the fact his receivers weren’t streaming open. He’d stare them down and telegraph a late pass that would be jumped by a half decent defensive back. He’s also not great size (this does matter still, to a fair degree, and he’s a leftie). He can’t help that but I’m not overkeen on that either.

Wentz, Goff, Darnold were all better QB prospects than Tua. Solid argument for Mayfield too. And even Allen given his prototype and athletic qualities.

6 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I did not say Lawrence is bad. Not once. I said he is not as infallible a prospect as he is being made out. And that’s because he is being made out to be “the greatest qb prospect ever”. Lawrence is an elite prospect, that’s not in doubt and I have never said otherwise.

Tua on the other hand, yeah, I just personally don’t see him as elite a qb prospect as most seem to. It’s one thing being on a vastly superior team and throwing to wide open Jeudy, Ruggs and co. I am more interested in what he is like when the playing field is level, and against Georgia and Clemson I saw a qb that was shellshocked by the fact his receivers weren’t streaming open. He’d stare them down and telegraph a late pass that would be jumped by a half decent defensive back. He’s also not great size (this does matter still, to a fair degree, and he’s a leftie). He can’t help that but I’m not overkeen on that either.

Wentz, Goff, Darnold were all better QB prospects than Tua. Solid argument for Mayfield too. And even Allen given his prototype and athletic qualities.

He is considered that because he had the best season any true freshman QB in college football has ever had.  No one has been better and did more as a true freshman, some were close but they were all RS freshman Quarterback starters.  Hell Lawrence did not ever start all season but still had crazy good production and success.  That makes no sense however, you rip on Tua because he has great WRs to throw to when if you are talking pure star power Clemson has better WRs and a better RB than Alabama does and a better OL, Bama's line has sucked early this season.  So then rip on Trevor for that if you rip on Tua for it.  The guy is a great leader, great kid, throws a very catchable football and is athletic enough to move around, not to mention is left handed.

Trevor has a better arm in terms of strength and speed, is more athletic, stronger and taller than Tua.  Tua has arguably better intangibles and better touch on his passes and is harder to handle at times being left handed.  They are both great and no freaking thank you taking Goff, Darnold or Mayfield over Tua, no.  Don't like him all you want, he will be the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft in 2020 and Trevor will obviously be the 1st in 2021 unless either one gets greatly injured or something.