The Official Trevor Lawrence 2021 Draft Prospect Thread

brushmyhair

Just now, Danger said:

Dabo isn't leaving Clemson barring an insane contract offer.

Chucky just got 10/$100mm. That insane offer is out there, just depends on who baits their line with it.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

BOB probably isn't in line to be fired.

It's really going to weigh on how this season goes. That 21-7 playoff loss to a division rival isn't sitting well with several people - fans and media alike. 

Bob McNair was known for his long leash, but nobody has a read on Cal McNair - outside of the friendship Cal has with Rick Smith, a person who Bill O'Brien was openly feuding with a few seasons ago.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'll write a 10 page essay on the color purple if Jeff Fisher ever gets another NFL HC gig, dude has shown that he is an abysmal modern day coach, he's more suited towards the 80's.

I hope this is the case, but I always tend to think of the worst possible outcome when talking about sports. That way, I'm always somewhat satisfied when something else happens, simply because it's not as bad as I had originally thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I'll write a 10 page essay on the color purple if Jeff Fisher ever gets another NFL HC gig, dude has shown that he is an abysmal modern day coach, he's more suited towards the 80's.

Abysmal? 7-9 is below average, but it isn't abysmal. If you want the 14th pick in the NFL draft, you almost have to hire Jeff Fisher.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:39 AM, HoboRocket said:

You know who looks good for 2021? Pat Freiermuth. Dude looks like a complete TE with great size, nice looking athleticism on tape, hauled in a bunch of TDs this past year at Penn St.

I thought this was just a Trevor Lawrence thread lol.

Him and Micah Parsons I expect to both be first rounders in 2021.

On 2019-05-31 at 11:23 AM, ET80 said:

Chucky just got 10/$100mm. That insane offer is out there, just depends on who baits their line with it.

It's really going to weigh on how this season goes. That 21-7 playoff loss to a division rival isn't sitting well with several people - fans and media alike. 

Bob McNair was known for his long leash, but nobody has a read on Cal McNair - outside of the friendship Cal has with Rick Smith, a person who Bill O'Brien was openly feuding with a few seasons ago.

I hope this is the case, but I always tend to think of the worst possible outcome when talking about sports. That way, I'm always somewhat satisfied when something else happens, simply because it's not as bad as I had originally thought.

Does Dabo Swinney even call plays. He seems more like good management head coach like John Harbaugh than elite offensive mind like Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Activated10 said:

Does Dabo Swinney even call plays. He seems more like good management head coach like John Harbaugh than elite offensive mind like Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. 

No. He has two OCs for that.

• Like 3

Ozzy and HoboRocket had some great posts in this thread...best and most real-world evaluations I've seen. 

Granted I'm saying that largely because they mirror some of the things I've posted about Lawrence elsewhere.

I have no idea how Lawrence subjectively separated from Tua so quickly and easily. Laughable devotion to recency. Meanwhile Trevor Lawrence has not had one college game with a YPA that reached Tua's 2018 season average of 11.2 YPA.

The 8.3 overall YPA was good but not extraordinary. Given the special talent surrounding him including at receiver I actually would have expected a higher number, closer to 9. There were many games at 7 YPA or lower including a couple below 5.0. Not fully significant during quick routs. Maybe he'll soar well beyond 9 and 10 YPA this season. We'll see. Until he does it I can't put him on the level with Mayfield, Murray or Tua, all of whom exceeded 11 YPA over an entire college season. 

I realize that won't be popular around here, where subjectivity is king. No concerns. That YPA category is so vital and the 11+ so freakish that I'll continue to rely it, no matter what the subjective versions are spitting out. 

HoboRocket did the best job I've seen of pointing out how injury prone Lawrence potentially could be. I've mentioned that on Finheaven and elsewhere. Gad, does Lawrence provide such a huge strike zone. Legs and arms extending feet in several directions. That translates terribly to NFL pocket-collapsing realities. He also is hardly Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray in terms of quickly sensing danger and collapsing into a little ball. Once in a while it is just the opposite, like the reckless scramble down the left sideline against Syracuse. Lawrence was fortunate that was a head injury and not a devastating leg or knee injury if he had been turned opposite.

Maybe he learned from that first-start example. But later in the year Lawrence wandered without concern into linebackerville, including against Alabama. I cringed. Even if nothing came close to happening in those instances Lawrence doesn't seem to be fully aware of the risk. 

Edited by Awsi Dooger
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Ozzy and HoboRocket had some great posts in this thread...best and most real-world evaluations I've seen. 

Granted I'm saying that largely because they mirror some of the things I've posted about Lawrence elsewhere.

I have no idea how Lawrence subjectively separated from Tua so quickly and easily. Laughable devotion to recency. Meanwhile Trevor Lawrence has not had one college game with a YPA that reached Tua's 2018 season average of 11.2 YPA.

The 8.3 overall YPA was good but not extraordinary. Given the special talent surrounding him including at receiver I actually would have expected a higher number, closer to 9. There were many games at 7 YPA or lower including a couple below 5.0. Not fully significant during quick routs. Maybe he'll soar well beyond 9 and 10 YPA this season. We'll see. Until he does it I can't put him on the level with Mayfield, Murray or Tua, all of whom exceeded 11 YPA over an entire college season. 

I realize that won't be popular around here, where subjectivity is king. No concerns. That YPA category is so vital and the 11+ so freakish that I'll continue to rely it, no matter what the subjective versions are spitting out. 

HoboRocket did the best job I've seen of pointing out how injury prone Lawrence potentially could be. I've mentioned that on Finheaven and elsewhere. Gad, does Lawrence provide such a huge strike zone. Legs and arms extending feet in several directions. That translates terribly to NFL pocket-collapsing realities. He also is hardly Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray in terms of quickly sensing danger and collapsing into a little ball. Once in a while it is just the opposite, like the reckless scramble down the left sideline against Syracuse. Lawrence was fortunate that was a head injury and not a devastating leg or knee injury if he had been turned opposite.

Maybe he learned from that first-start example. But later in the year Lawrence wandered without concern into linebackerville, including against Alabama. I cringed. Even if nothing came close to happening in those instances Lawrence doesn't seem to be fully aware of the risk. 

Peyton Manning best Y/A 8.7

Andrew Luck best Y/A 9.0

Yeah, I think I will continue to rely on my eye test which says Lawrence is a much superior prospect.

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Who is more accurate? Who makes better reads? Who processes information quicker? Who has better size? Who has better athleticism? Who has the stronger arm? Who shows better poise?

I'm not saying Lawrence is the answer to all of them but these are far more relevant questions than who had the better YPA when evaluating them as prospects.

12 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Who is more accurate? Who makes better reads? Who processes information quicker? Who has better size? Who has better athleticism? Who has the stronger arm? Who shows better poise?

I'm not saying Lawrence is the answer to all of them but these are far more relevant questions than who had the better YPA when evaluating them as prospects.

Was Vernon Adams the best QB in the 2016 draft class? He led college football in YPA in 2015.

• Like 1

@Awsi Dooger Lawrence was a true freshman last year, Tua had a year of college under his belt. That plays a big part. Lawrence didnt receive all of the first team reps over the summer either, he was splitting time with a JR. 

10 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

He also is hardly Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray in terms of quickly sensing danger and collapsing into a little ball

yeah, hes like a foot taller and a lot heavier than those guys LOL

He is still only 19 years old and is growing. He has room to fill out his frame even more than he already has. IDK why you can say you dont think he will be durable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Activated10 said:

I still believe Justin Fields will be selected #1 Overall in 2021 NFL draft. His skillset with Ryan Day offense is going to be amazing to watch. This is going to be the most heated debate for #1 Overall pick since RG3 vs Luck. 

lol

6 hours ago, Activated10 said:

I still believe Justin Fields will be selected #1 Overall in 2021 NFL draft. His skillset with Ryan Day offense is going to be amazing to watch. This is going to be the most heated debate for #1 Overall pick since RG3 vs Luck. 

No way he goes over Lawrence, barring a complete "fall off the cliff" next two years. TBH, we have yet to see Fields do much consistently on the field, let alone throwing the football. Don't get me wrong, as an OSU fan I REALLY hope that you're right.