The Official Trevor Lawrence 2021 Draft Prospect Thread

brushmyhair

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

No way he goes over Lawrence, barring a complete "fall off the cliff" next two years. TBH, we have yet to see Fields do much consistently on the field, let alone throwing the football. Don't get me wrong, as an OSU fan I REALLY hope that you're right.

I heard same thing after Winston RS freshman season, then same thing after Darnold RS freshman season. Now granted, Winston still went #1 and most media members had Darnold as best QB during the draft and still went #3. So I expect at bare minimum for Lawrence to compete for #1 Overall, I, unlike most around here expect him to have a competitor for the #1 Overall pick and I see that person in Justin Fields. 

These 2 QBs were not only ranked 2 best QBs in high school but the TWO BEST OVERALL PLAYERS IN HIGH SCHOOL. Were talking about two special QB prospects. I expect Justin Fields to have Watson & Murray like impact for Ohio State and by Lawrence and Fields junior year, there's going to be serious debate between these two for #1 Overall pick. 

• Like 1

Just now, Activated10 said:

I heard same thing after Winston RS freshman season, then same thing after Darnold RS freshman season. Now granted, Winston still went #1 and most media members had Darnold as best QB during the draft and still went #3. So I expect at bare minimum for Lawrence to compete for #1 Overall, I, unlike most around here expect him to have a competitor for the #1 Overall pick and I see that person in Justin Fields. 

These 2 QBs were not only ranked 2 best QBs in high school but the TWO BEST OVERALL PLAYERS IN HIGH SCHOOL. Were talking about two special QB prospects. I expect Justin Fields to have Watson & Murray like impact for Ohio State and by Lawrence and Fields junior year, there's going to be serious debate between these two for #1 Overall pick. 

you are seriously using HS rankings as reference? Fields could easily be another Brock Berlin and nobody would be shocked.

9 hours ago, SBLIII said:

lol

That laugh will turn into a shock reaction by the end of this college season. I know what Lawrence did was amazing and Lawrence is amazing, but he isn't only amazing QB in 2021 draft. People will realize soon enough that we're going to witness 2 elite QB prospects for the next 2 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

you are seriously using HS rankings as reference? Fields could easily be another Brock Berlin and nobody would be shocked.

I watch videos, scouting reporters and quotes from coaches and players around him. Dude just has a different mentality, he has quiet assassin approach to the game. Doesn't let mistakes bother him and when you see him on field he has serious game face like he isn't playing around and here's to win. He kind of reminds me of Kobe with his approach. 

I can be wrong and you can all laugh at me if I'm wrong but just like you guys see some special in Lawrence, I'm getting same vibes even though he hasn't played full season yet. 

14 hours ago, Activated10 said:

I heard same thing after Winston RS freshman season,

I forget...did Winston end up going #1 overall (HE DID!). So what is your point?

then same thing after Darnold RS freshman season. Now granted, Winston still went #1 and most media members had Darnold as best QB during the draft and still went #3. So I expect at bare minimum for Lawrence to compete for #1 Overall, I, unlike most around here expect him to have a competitor for the #1 Overall pick and I see that person in Justin Fields. 

RGIII ended up "pushing" Luck, and Luck still went #1 overall. Lawrence is just as good/if not better prospect as it stands right now.

I really hope that you're right. I am a huge OSU fan, but Trevor Lawrence MAY very well be the best QB prospect that I've seen. We'll see what the next 2 years have in store for both guys though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I really hope that you're right. I am a huge OSU fan, but Trevor Lawrence MAY very well be the best QB prospect that I've seen. We'll see what the next 2 years have in store for both guys though

There is no MAY to it. He simply is. 

There are about 20 NFL teams he could walk up to right now and be the best QB on the roster. I wasn't kidding when I said you wouldn't be completely crazy to list Lawrence as one of the top 10 QBs currently playing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I forget...did Winston end up going #1 overall (HE DID!). So what is your point?

RGIII ended up "pushing" Luck, and Luck still went #1 overall. Lawrence is just as good/if not better prospect as it stands right now.

I really hope that you're right. I am a huge OSU fan, but Trevor Lawrence MAY very well be the best QB prospect that I've seen. We'll see what the next 2 years have in store for both guys though.

My point is Trevor Lawrence isn't going to be clear cut best QB prospect  in the draft. Last time that happen was 2011 in Cam Newton. My point with Winston and Darnold were that these QBs were supposed to be clear cut best QBs in the draft with no serious competitor. Well Mariota went #2 with a lot of fans and scouts liking Mariota over Winston. Mayfield got drafted over Darnold. That's my point with Lawrence, don't expect him to cakewalk into #1 Overall pick without a challenger. 

Edited by Activated10

3 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

My point is Trevor Lawrence isn't going to be clear cut best QB prospect t in the draft. Last time that happen was 2011 in Cam Newton. Lawrence will be the favorite to go #1 but he'll be challenged just like Winston, Darnold, Luck and & Manning. 

I sure would have liked to see Fields vs Alabama last year. Maybe we get to see it this year, lol.

• Like 1

Just now, SBLIII said:

I sure would have liked to see Fields vs Alabama last year. Maybe we get to see it this year, lol.

I expect Alabama to go undefeated and win national championship with a pissed off Nick Saban leading them. I got Clemson #2 and losing a game in regular season due to slip up, similar to what almost happened against Clemson. Ohio State 3rd and Texas gets the final spot. 

You'll get to see Fields vs Lawrence, the new great QB rivalry. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Activated10 said:

My point is Trevor Lawrence isn't going to be clear cut best QB prospect  in the draft.

I highly disagree

Last time that happen was 2011 in Cam Newton.

2012: Only the talking heads/pundits would have put RGIII above Andrew Luck in 2012 for the most part. Luck was considered by almost everyone to be the best QB prospect since Peyton in 1998.

2013: The QBs all sucked

2014: Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel: Hurt/sucked (Carr went in the 2nd)

2015: VERY few would have taken MM over Jameis. TBH, everyone said that if Jameis could have gone pro in 2014, he would have been the surefire #1 guy

2016: Most still wanted Goff over Wentz

2017: That was a BIG TIME question mark year/not a "surefire" guy, which is why no one went #1 overall.

2018: Darnold/Mayfield was a hotly contested debate and the Browns bucked conventional thinking going with Baker

My point with Winston and Darnold were that these QBs were supposed to be clear cut best QBs in the draft with no serious competitor.

A LOT of people argued that Darnold vs. Rosen going into their final year of college was a heated QB field, not to mention Josh Allen as a dark horse. Darnold was FAR from the "consensus guy".

Well Mariota went #2 with a lot of fans and scouts liking Mariota over Winston.

Fans yes, scouts, not by a long shot for the most part.

Mayfield got drafted over Darnold.

See above

That's my point with Lawrence, don't expect him to cakewalk into #1 Overall pick without a challenger. 

I'm sure that the talking heads/media pundits will create a lot of smoke to get clicks, subscriptions, and likes. There's a reason why Mel Kiper's big board changes EVERY SINGLE WEEK from January until draft day...gotta keep those subscriptions up.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

2015: VERY few would have taken MM over Jameis.

I would have, they both ended up being busts though.

Also as for 2016, Eagles forum was pretty unanimously hoping that the Rams would take Goff, so that we could get Wentz leading up to the draft. 

2018: Hell for quite a while, a lot of people had Rosen pegged #1.

Edited by Danger

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

I would have, they both ended up being busts though.

Yeah, it's eerily reminiscent of the 2007 "Jamarcus vs. Quinn" draft. No one looked good after that debate.

Also as for 2016, Eagles forum was pretty unanimously hoping that the Rams would take Goff, so that we could get Wentz leading up to the draft. 

Forum perhaps, but teams at large wanted Goff over Wentz, save a few. That's the whole reason the Browns traded back, because they were upset that Goff went #1 after the Rams traded ahead of them.

2018: Hell for quite a while, a lot of people had Rosen pegged #1.

Rosen/Darnold with Allen as the dark horse guy from Mel Kiper's big board the year before. Revisionist history has certainly changed that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Rosen/Darnold with Allen as the dark horse guy from Mel Kiper's big board the year before. Revisionist history has certainly changed that.

Absolutely, I think around March 2018 a lot of people had Baker as a late 1st round guy TBH.

• Like 2

Just now, Danger said:

Absolutely, I think around March 2018 a lot of people had Baker as a late 1st round guy TBH.

I think in January of 2018, many saw Baker as "making an argument for the 1st round".

In March/early April, after his pro day/combine and interviews, teams were blown away and "Believe it or not, being talked about in the Top 10!"

The Jets traded up into the Top 5 and teams were like "Baker is talked about going in the Top 5!"

...and 24-36 hours before the draft, Hue Jackson leaked the Mayfield at #1 pick to Silver after Dorsey told him/informed him and pulled rank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...