Watchmen Trailer HBO

MossyMoss

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I wanna watch this but what’s with the low RT Audience score? When I watch something I tend to agree with the audience and disagree with critics. Not sure I wanna waste an hour (time is the most valuable thing in the world). A lot of people said it was race baiting garbage with a social agenda? Like, what the heck does that mean? 

The bad guys are white supremacists based on a real life tragedy in Tulsa. People who call that race baiting are actual racists lol

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I wanna watch this but what’s with the low RT Audience score? When I watch something I tend to agree with the audience and disagree with critics. Not sure I wanna waste an hour (time is the most valuable thing in the world). A lot of people said it was race baiting garbage with a social agenda? Like, what the heck does that mean? 

Usually if you're using this term, you're on the wrong side of the argument.

It's good. Definitely not what I expected with the racial element, which for me was kind of an interesting feature but I understand some people are sensitive to the topic. My amateur understanding of Watchmen has always been a historical "what if?" though, so it fits. Anyone who's "outraged" can just not watch, it's not that difficult.

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I liked the second episode more, but still a little confusing as to what's going on.  I'm not familiar with the comic or movie.

This is an original story based in present day. The comic/movie took place in the 80s. While there are some things informed by the source content I think it can stand on its own. Here is a quick synopsis though

In October 1985, New York City detectives are investigating the murder of Edward Blake. With the police having no leads, costumed vigilante Rorschach decides to probe further. Discovering Blake to have been the true identity of The Comedian, a costumed hero employed by the U.S. government, Rorschach believes he has discovered a plot to terminate costumed adventurers and sets about warning four of his retired comrades: Daniel Dreiberg (formerly the second Nite Owl), the superpowered and emotionally detached Jon Osterman (codenamed Doctor Manhattan) and his lover Laurie Juspeczyk (the second Silk Spectre), and Adrian Veidt (once the hero Ozymandias, and now a successful businessman).

After Blake's funeral, Manhattan is accused on national television of being the cause of cancer in friends and former colleagues. When the government takes the accusations seriously, Manhattan exiles himself to Mars. As the U.S. depends on Manhattan as a strategic military asset, his departure throws humanity into political turmoil, with the Soviets invading Afghanistan to capitalize on the perceived American weakness. Rorschach's concerns appear vindicated when Veidt narrowly survives an assassination attempt and Rorschach himself is framed and imprisoned for murdering a former supervillain named Moloch.

Neglected in her relationship with the once-human Manhattan, whose now-godlike powers and transformation have removed him completely from the everyday concerns of living beings, and no longer kept on retainer by the government, Juspeczyk stays with Dreiberg. They begin a romance, don their costumes, and resume vigilante work as they grow closer together. With Dreiberg starting to believe some aspects of Rorschach's conspiracy theory, the pair takes it upon themselves to break him out of prison. After looking back on his own personal history, Manhattan places the fate of his involvement with human affairs in Juspeczyk's hands. He teleports her to Mars to make the case for emotional investment. During the course of the argument, Juspeczyk is forced to come to terms with the fact that Blake, who once attempted to rape her mother, was, in fact, her biological father following a second, consensual relationship. This discovery, reflecting the complexity of human emotions and relationships, re-sparks Manhattan's interest in humanity.

On Earth, Nite Owl and Rorschach continue to uncover the conspiracy and find evidence that Veidt may be behind the plan. Rorschach writes his suspicions about Veidt in his journal, in which he has been recording his entire investigation, and mails it to New Frontiersman, a local right-wing newspaper. The pair then confront Veidt at his Antarctic retreat. Veidt explains his underlying plan is to save humanity from impending nuclear war by faking an alien invasion in New York, which will annihilate half the city's population. He hopes this will unite the superpowers against a perceived common enemy. He also reveals that he had murdered The Comedian, arranged for Manhattan's past associates to contract cancer, staged the attempt on his own life in order to place himself above suspicion, and killed Moloch in order to frame Rorschach. This was all done in an attempt to prevent his plan from being exposed. Nite Owl and Rorschach find Veidt's logic callous and abhorrent, but Veidt has already enacted his plan.

When Manhattan and Juspeczyk arrive back on Earth, they are confronted by mass destruction and death in New York, with a gigantic squid-like creature, created by Veidt's laboratories, dead in the middle of the city. Manhattan notices his prescient abilities are limited by tachyons emanating from the Antarctic and the pair teleport there. They discover Veidt's involvement and confront him. Veidt shows everyone news broadcasts confirming that the emergence of a new threat has indeed prompted peaceful co-operation between the superpowers; this leads almost all present to agree that concealing the truth is in the best interests of world peace. Rorschach refuses to compromise and leaves, intent on revealing the truth. As he is making his way back, he is confronted by Manhattan. Rorschach declares that Manhattan will have to kill him to stop him from exposing Veidt, which Manhattan duly does. Manhattan then wanders through the base and finds Veidt, who asks him if he did the right thing in the end. Manhattan responds that "nothing ever ends" before leaving the Earth to another universe. Dreiberg and Juspeczyk go into hiding under new identities and continue their romance.

Back in New York, the editor at New Frontiersman asks his assistant to find some filler material from the "crank file", a collection of rejected submissions to the paper, many of which have not been reviewed yet. The series ends with the young man reaching toward the pile of discarded submissions, near the top of which is Rorschach's journal.

6 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I liked the second episode more, but still a little confusing as to what's going on.  I'm not familiar with the comic or movie.

If you’re watching on HBO Now, go to the first episode and under the episode there’s a quick clip of ppl explaining the comic (next to the trailer, sneak peek and Regina King on set videos).  It’s enough to explain a couple names and references you’ve prolly noticed.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/watchmen-hbo-101-guide-to-the-comics-behind-the-series/

Good article for people like me who were completely lost after 2 episodes. I'm a big fan of the movie but never read the comics so certain things were baffling me like the squid storm, and why the 7th Kavalry guys were donning the Rorschach masks. This article helped me fill in some of the gaps.

Possible Spoiler:

Jeremy Irons character is Veidt right? I know they haven't officially established that yet, but it all seems to point to it. The clocks, the clones etc..

• Like 1