MossyMoss

Take out or shorten preseason games  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Take out or shorten preseason games

• Take out completely
    • Shorten it
    • Keep it as it is

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

In the preseason?  Dear lord no.  The league should never consider adding a divisional game to the preseason.    I'm fine with the one home, one road, and one neutral site.  

I wish they would play more geographic, but non divisional, games more.  The Bengals and Colts play every preseason week 4  It's a short drive.  The rams and Chargers should start  doing that too.  Philly/Pitt, Detroit/Cleveland, the Giants/Jets, Houston/Dallas, etc.  

I can see your point about the divisional game. There's already 2 in the regular season. No need of an extra division game. Maybe we can do the conference/non conference game and have a fan's choice game for the 3rd preseason game. 

On 5/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, freak_of_nature said:

Less preseason games = less preseason season-ending injuries, even though some will happen during practice. I'd do 2 games with a BYE between each one.

2 preseason games, a bye in between, a second bye during the season and expand the rosters to 60.

That’s if the league actually have half a 💩 about player safety.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, freak_of_nature said:

Less preseason games = less preseason season-ending injuries, even though some will happen during practice. I'd do 2 games with a BYE between each one.

You do realize most Key Starters play less then 1 Total gm out of the 4 during that month, right? One of the reasons most team struggle the first few weeks of the season.

1st: Drive maybe 2

2nd: 1QT

3rd: 1/2

4th: DNP

Injuries will happen,  it's part of the game. Most are fluke in nature. Only thing having less gms does is hurt the backend of every roster. Finding the ST/backups  making the roster. 

Practices are already a joke and limited with the current CBA. Limited tackling, limited pads, limited contact. Teams need Preseason gms to properly judge what they have. Not just watching them in shells against each other.

There's been 100's of players who not only made NFL rosters but went on to have long NFL careers, because of their Preseason  games/play.

Edited by Nabbs4u

49 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You do realize most Key Starters play less then 1 Total gm out of the 4 during that month, right? One of the reasons most team struggle the first few weeks of the season.

1st: Drive maybe 2

2nd: 1QT

3rd: 1/2

4th: DNP

Injuries will happen,  it's part of the game. Most are fluke in nature. Only thing having less gms does is hurt the backend of every roster. Finding the ST/backups  making the roster. 

Practices are already a joke and limited with the current CBA. Limited tackling, limited pads, limited contact. Teams need Preseason gms to properly judge what they have. Not just watching them in shells against each other.

There's been 100's of players who not only made NFL rosters but went on to have long NFL careers, because of their Preseason  games/play.

Expanding rosters does this too.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

2 preseason games, a bye in between, a second bye during the season and expand the rosters to 60.

That’s if the league actually have half a 💩 about player safety.

I dont get why there isnt a larger roster. 

It would reward teams that develop players 

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

How many roster spots are truly up for grabs due during final cutdowns? 2? 3, max? Players have 8+ weeks of practices, scrimmages, and multiple preseason games to prove their mettle. There's always the practice squad, too. I don't think the benefit of more preseason games outweighs the negatives. 

Edited by freak_of_nature
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

How many roster spots are truly up for grabs due during final cutdowns? 2? 3, max? Players have 8+ weeks of practices, scrimmages, and multiple preseason games to prove their mettle. There's always the practice squad, too. I don't think the benefit of more preseason games outweighs the negatives. 

That's upwards of 60-90 potential players swapped out one way or another. That isnt significant to you?

Once again the flipside. If you limit the games to 2, Does that mean the Starters are playing more snaps in those games to get ready? How much playing time do players 50 thru 90 get then?

It's already a crap show with the 1 massive Cut day, with two less games you moving up Cut dates? Really seeing what needs to be seen? Massive difference  from "Practicing " and "Live Game Action" against another team.

I'm still having Flashbacks of the damn Salsa Dances for years because of Victor Cruz's 4 preseason games. All but guaranteeing his Roster Spot with the Giants.

Preseason Games Matter

Edited by Nabbs4u

Shortening or deleting pre-season is one of the dumbest ideas ever. Ask any coach and you'll get near-unanimous agreement. They need that to evaluate players and not just the "fringe" ones...does the solid vet start or the high draft pick with more upside? etc