GDT Week 1: Giants @ Cowboys - The Return of the Zeke?

Texas_OutLaw7

Giants-Cowboys-Helmets-Collective-Fans.j

Sunday, September 10, 8:30 PM on NBC

Key Match-ups:

• Giants Poor OL vs Cowboys Lack of a Pass-Rush
  • Giants WR's/TE's vs Cowboys Rookie Secondary
  • Giants Mercenary DL vs The Great Wall of Dallas

It is a Rivalry Game, which makes it at best a coin-flip - regardless of talent. Super excited for the game & yet frustrated we have to wait until Sunday Night for it. 

I doubt any of our rookie DBs see significant snaps this game. They're all too injured, didn't get enough seasoning in camp/preseason. Maybe Awuzie in dime, but they could just drop Jones to the LOS and play Heath/Frazier on the back end.

Dallas' DEs vs. Giants' OTs is a yuuuuuge matchup, for better or worse. The stoppable force vs. the movable object.

The Giants showed last year that they match up pretty well against this cowboys team.  They have the front four to match up against the Cowboys running game. snacks Harrison being a big part of that.  Landon Collins coming down into the box is a big factor against the run as well.  

On the other side of the ball, the Cowboys seem to lack the pass rushers to exploit the Giants biggest weakness - the o-line.  An inexperienced secondary versus OBJ, Marshall, engram, Sheppard is a major mismatch in the Giants favor.

It will be interesting for sure I'm expecting our offense Elliot or no Elliot to be more productive this time around a lot more.  But also I am worried about our secondary making mistakes that lead to big plays that can even things out.   

12 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

At least we don't have to deal with Hankins anymore. I think I could beat Flowers more often than not, so as long as he's the starter, I'm confident we'll pressure Eli enough for him to Eli.

Hankins was good for us, but the defense is still stacked.  It has 6 players with all-pro or pro bowl honors.  Eli apple is very talented and could take the next step.  They may also have found their thumper at MLB in bj Goodson which was the one missing piece on defense last year.  It's hard to improve on a defense that gave up the fewest points per game last year, but they just might be even better this year if those two young guys live up to the hype.  

The cowboys won't win this game through the air.  Janoris Jenkins seems to have Bryant's number and the rest of the matchups favor the Giants.  They will need to grind it out in the running game and hope for a win that way.  But if the Giants offensive weapons go off and put up some points early, it will be tough to come back.  

I will predict Giants 27, Cowboys 13. 

14 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

I'd look for Collins to play a factor...the Giants interior OL isn't that great either, is it?

Pugh and Richburg are pretty good, and Jerry is solid in pass pro. Look at Fletcher Cox, Geno Atkins, and Aaron Donald's stats when we've played against them the last few years. They've been relative non-factors. Our bookends were liabilities last year, but Bobby Hart's development on the right side has been super encouraging. He stonewalled Muhammed Wilkerson in preseason game 3 and is one of like 5 or 6 offensive linemen to not allow a pressure or sack the entire preseason. Flowers is absolutely a liability in pass pro, especially against speed rushers or high motor guys. Taco Charlton, even though i wasnt a huge fan of his pre draft, could have a good game if lined up against Flowers. 

I think the x factor in the Giants O vs Cowboys D matchup is going to be FB Shane Smith. Sean Lee looked like the best LB in the world against us in both games last year and i think that is partly because Rashad Jennings didnt know how to force a missed tackle and partly because with no lead blocker on run plays, he was free to do what he does best and fill the hole and make the tackle with no impediments. A lead blocker getting just enough on Lee could spring our RBs a lot. With all of the talent and experience on the Giants O and the youth and inexperience, especially in the secondary, on the Cowboys D, I cant see how we arent favored there. Of course, it is a divisional game so anything can happen.

15 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

At least we don't have to deal with Hankins anymore. I think I could beat Flowers more often than not, so as long as he's the starter, I'm confident we'll pressure Eli enough for him to Eli.

Hankins had his worst year ever last year. It wasn't because of injuries or talent drop off or anything; it was because Snacks did Hankins's job better than Hankins did. With the arrival of Snacks, Hankins got forced into a 3T role, more of an UT. That isn't where Hankins excels at all. He struggled a bit. For that reason, it wouldn't surprise me at all for him to have an excellent season in Indy and for people to say "the Giants shouldnt have let him go!" However, Bromley and newly drafted Dalvin Tomlinson are both built for the role of a 3T. Bromley last year, in limited snaps, looked great against the run and pass while spelling Hankins and Tomlinson played the 3T at Alabama where he excelled. Overall along the DL, the prospects are favor the Giants improving there rather than regressing even with the loss of Hankins because of the addition of Tomlinson and emergence of Bromley. Also, Vernon played just about all last year with a broken hand, which is totally healthy now. 

1 hour ago, Northland said:

This game and the season will be determined by the DL's ability, or lack thereof, to generate consistent pressure.  If we can  consistently harass opposing passers we are a serious playoff threat.  If we can't we will have a challenging year.

I think that was the battle cry last year going in and it didn't happen.  Sure I think for the first few games of the season sense some of the important part of her secondary didn't get work yet we might struggle mistakes will probably happen but I think this D has proven it doesn't need a ton of sacks to keep the scoring down, prevent the other team from running ball while we run a ball control offense limiting the other teams TOP and making them feel stressed to do something big everything they have the ball leading to mistakes. 

SO.. coming into this game with Dak having all available weapons then the O should make enough plays to move the ball.   I just think it is kinda silly to use last years results as indicators of what is gonna happen next week. NOTHING is the same..   game 1 last was Dak's FIRST game...  the next game was in terrible throwing weather, also a 1st for Dak,   and one thing is also IMO obvious from the preseason this year DAK is a much improved pocket passer then last year and unlike last year the "whole" field will be open rather then just the "roll out" side.. 

Archived