Boston, What Went Wrong?

MKnight82

Why did they under-perform?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Why did they under-perform?

• Kyrie Irving wasn't good enough (and moped).
    • Al Horford's play has declined.
    • Gordon Hayward not returning to form crippled them.
    • The Celtics youngsters are not as good as advertised.
    • The Celtics youngsters will be great but need more time (meaning you think Boston will be much better next year).
    • The rest of the east got way better.
    • Some combination of the reasons above (list them in comments).

Poll is included.  I wonder what people think is the biggest reason Boston failed this year.  They were consensus favorites in the East heading into the season.  They got no where near that and are heading into a difficult offseason.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Poll is included.  I wonder what people think is the biggest reason Boston failed this year.  They were consensus favorites in the East heading into the season.  They got no where near that and are heading into a difficult offseason.  

short version. Too many needy ball players, no defined roles. EGOs. A very Smart, but soft coach who was in a tough position to begin with. 

I said it many times in the Boston thread. Sometimes "less is more" and this proved exactly true.

Seems like chemistry was the biggest issue, and some of the guys maybe were somewhat a product of last years system and there were expectations for improvement that just didn’t happen- Tatum and Brown in particular.

Tbh the bar was set pretty high for a team with one top 20 player, although part of that is Hayward not bouncing back. So maybe expectations were too high to begin with and the east got better

Kyrie doesn't elevate players. Kyrie isn't a #1 option. This is the same Kyrie we saw in Cleveland before LeBron. What we didn't see in Cleveland before LeBron was a competent supporting cast and competent coach. Kyrie is exactly who we thought he is. See ya later, try not to fall of the earth. 

This is typical.  Blame the best player on the team.  Sure, Kyrie played like absolute crap and deserves blame for sure, but that's all most people are talking about.  When is Brad Stevens going to be questioned?  After last year, people had put him on some type of magical pedestal when he has done damn near nothing in this league.  He acknowledged that he did a bad coaching job this season and he's exactly right.

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

This is typical.  Blame the best player on the team.  Sure, Kyrie played like absolute crap and deserves blame for sure, but that's all most people are talking about.

Comes with the territory of demanding your own team and after how he was talking. Stevens wasn't out there saying he's a basketball genius who should be making more substitutions.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Comes with the territory of demanding your own team and after how he was talking. Stevens wasn't out there saying he's a basketball genius who should be making more substitutions.

Yea, I get all of that.  Kyrie should get blamed, but they're giving the coach a pass.  It's the same situation in OKC.  Westbrook takes almost all of the blame, but what about Billy Donovan.  Donovan goes unscathed when his coaching (or lack thereof) should absolutely be criticized.

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

This is typical.  Blame the best player on the team.  Sure, Kyrie played like absolute crap and deserves blame for sure, but that's all most people are talking about.  When is Brad Stevens going to be questioned?  After last year, people had put him on some type of magical pedestal when he has done damn near nothing in this league.  He acknowledged that he did a bad coaching job this season and he's exactly right.

You can't coach chemistry, nor can you coach players who don't want to be coached. 

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yea, I get all of that.  Kyrie should get blamed, but they're giving the coach a pass.  It's the same situation in OKC.  Westbrook takes almost all of the blame, but what about Billy Donovan.  Donovan goes unscathed when his coaching (or lack thereof) should absolutely be criticized.

Because we've seen Stevens overachieve every year till this point. We have seen nothing from Donovan. it's not really similar at all. 

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I don't disagree, but this is the nature of the NBA. Not much a coach can do if their "superstar" is playing like as ****ty as Irving and Westbrook did. It's the coach's job to reign that in, but that's incredibly hard in the NBA when dealing with veterans who have been playing 1 way for years.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't disagree, but this is the nature of the NBA. Not much a coach can do if their "superstar" is playing like as ****ty as Irving and Westbrook did. It's the coach's job to reign that in, but that's incredibly hard in the NBA when dealing with veterans who have been playing 1 way for years.

It can be reigned in, it just can't be reigned in by Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan because the players in question don't respect them.  When Kyrie or Westbrook are playing like jackarses and taking stupid shots.... that's on the coach.  He's not running plays, and if he is, Kyrie/Westbrook are waving them off because again, they don't respect the coach.

Kyrie didn't have this poor attitude or did whatever he felt like in Cleveland.  That's because LeBron put his arse in check.  Something that Brad Stevens doesn't have the clout or guts to do.

This shows me Brad Stevens can't deal with a Superstar, can't deal with egos and can't manage a team when the expectations are championship caliber. 

He's been great with Butler and last year when expectations are low. 

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Westbrook is such a domineering player and seems like he’s not at all coachable. Makes it harder to see what kind of coach’s donovan actually is

This has been a prevailing question today. I think one major point that I dont hear enough is the Bucks are just really really good. Historically this bucks team matches up with some of the better teams in NBA history. Not enough credit is given to how great they are right now.

4 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

This has been a prevailing question today. I think one major point that I dont hear enough is the Bucks are just really really good. Historically this bucks team matches up with some of the better teams in NBA history. Not enough credit is given to how great they are right now.

Its baffling how much it's been about the C's supposed "collapse." That, my friends, wasn't a collapse. That was the better team laying down a beating on an overmatched squad that was overhyped by mainstream media. They were a 4 seed for a reason. 

Archived