Jaguars LB Telvin Smith not to play 2019 season

RaidersAreOne

This is one of the biggest losses of the offseason for the Jaguars.  For their sake let’s hope it’s not a permanent loss, but it’s gonna be hard for the Jaguars to replace his void in a year that they’re trying to rebound, and this is considering that they already have a pretty set LB core.  I don’t blame Smith for taking the time off, just think it’s unusual timing and sure sucks that the Jaguars didn’t know about this before because they surely could have planned ahead and made moves for a linebacker in free agency or even drafted another one if they chose to do so

Family and personal life is more important than going to work.  Fortunately for Smith, he signed a big deal and he should have plenty of money put aside.  Sucks for his teammates that he won't be there, but I'm sure he's talked to them and they know about this.

All indications are that he will eventually come back, so at least there's that.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Any kind of health issues or family issues to lead to this decision? Seems kinda odd, but it is what it is.

I’d guess that’s what it is.

Something wasn’t right with him last season, even though physically he was still the same player. I don’t want to speculate, but I’d guess this has been going on since the start of last season. 

The team knew this was a possibility, and they made plans expecting he wouldn’t be here this season, but it’s rough to see such an impact player miss a season. Above all else though, I just hope his situation works out for him. He’s clearly got something going on bigger than football, and I hope it works out. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

I don’t blame Smith for taking the time off, just think it’s unusual timing and sure sucks that the Jaguars didn’t know about this before

They knew this could happen. He didn’t show up to minicamp, and they kept saying things like “we’ll see what happens with him” leading up to the draft. Then they went LB heavy in the draft and UDFA, presumably as a failsafe in case he didn’t play. 

• Like 1