RaidersAreOne

Jaguars LB Telvin Smith not to play 2019 season

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Any kind of health issues or family issues to lead to this decision? Seems kinda odd, but it is what it is.

Have to assume  its something  like this IMO. 

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Above all else though, I just hope his situation works out for him. He’s clearly got something going on bigger than football, and I hope it works out

Honestly? I think there should be an optional "sabbatical" offered to players. A year where a guy can heal up, give back to his family, his community, etc. There should be provisions behind the salary cap, draft picks, etc - but I think the league would get more out of their guys if they did something like this.

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

They knew this could happen. He didn’t show up to minicamp, and they kept saying things like “we’ll see what happens with him” leading up to the draft. Then they went LB heavy in the draft and UDFA, presumably as a failsafe in case he didn’t play. 

Interesting, I didn’t know that was the case.  Well I thought you guys had a fantastic draft before now, but that 3rd round comp pick that got used on a linebacker is looking even more useful at this point in time

37 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Soft. 

how do i downvote

Pretty clear what the issue is.  He feels the pressure from soon-to-be superstar Quincy Williams.  The might of Murray State is just too much.

Seriously though, hope he gets whatever it is taken care of.  

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Pretty clear what the issue is.  He feels the pressure from soon-to-be superstar Quincy Williams.  The might of Murray State is just too much.

Seriously though, hope he gets whatever it is taken care of.  

Enjoy your future superstar. 

I hate this from a personal perspective but I wish him the best, his family/body/life always comes before his job. Hopefully he's made enough to potentially never have to worry about $$ again. 

1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

Interesting, I didn’t know that was the case.  Well I thought you guys had a fantastic draft before now, but that 3rd round comp pick that got used on a linebacker is looking even more useful at this point in time

Between Jake Ryan who they picked up in Free Agency, Josh Allen, Quincey Williams, and all the UDFAs they brought in, they’re going to have the bodies to find someone. 

It’s really just going to be a matter of if Allen is going to play LB in certain sets and if Williams is as good as the Jaguars seem to think he is or if one or two of the UDFAs can stick. Nobody in that group is going to replace Telvin, but they at least put in the effort to find a viable starter. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Honestly? I think there should be an optional "sabbatical" offered to players. A year where a guy can heal up, give back to his family, his community, etc. There should be provisions behind the salary cap, draft picks, etc - but I think the league would get more out of their guys if they did something like this.

Nah.. Practicing salary cap indifferently.   No play time, no base salary. Simple.

Wish Telvin Smith the best resolution.

Edited by JetsandI

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This can be argued both ways: If you don't allow this, they may burn out but if you do, then you lose out on a year of being in their prime, age-wise. And, who's to say they will be in football shape when they get back? 

Sorry, but this seems a bit Josh Gordon-like...as though he feels he has to get ahead of a suspension or something. Don't quote me because I am probably wrong, but that is what it feels like. 

So does he just not get paid this year? Is it a pause in his contract? Does he pick right back up next season?

Hope everything is okay with him.

12 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Enjoy your future superstar. 

I hate this from a personal perspective but I wish him the best, his family/body/life always comes before his job. Hopefully he's made enough to potentially never have to worry about $$ again. 

I didn't get Quincy.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Soft. 

don't let them discourage you my guy

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

So does he just not get paid this year? Is it a pause in his contract? Does he pick right back up next season?

Hope everything is okay with him.

5m is guaranteed so Jaguars may ask him to return that if already paid.

21 minutes ago, pwny said:

Between Jake Ryan who they picked up in Free Agency, Josh Allen, Quincey Williams, and the UDFAs they brought in; Marc Shiechl, Michael Lockley, Scott Lutrus, JoJo Dickson, Tommy Gallarda, and Eric Gordon, they’re going to have the bodies to find someone. 

It’s really just going to be a matter of if Allen is going to play LB in certain sets and if Williams is as good as the Jaguars seem to think he is or if one or two of the UDFAs can stick. Nobody in that group is going to replace Telvin, but they at least put in the effort to find a viable starter. 

Aside from Jack, I think the other LBs on the field on any given play will be determined by situation and formation.