Telvin Smith sitting out 2019

Well, at least there's a bit of clarity to this weird situation.  Even if it's still not clear exactly what's going on...it's clear enough he won't be playing i guess.

Hope he gets whatever he's got going on, sorted out.  He was one of my favourite Jaguars from this era when he was at his best...but he really didn't look like the same player last year.

Kinda hard to imagine a situation where he actually comes back and plays for the Jaguars though.  With his salary what it is, taking a year off...can't really keep the door open for him if you can't count on him to play.  Not at that salary.

22 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think aside from Jack, the LBs on the field will change depending on situation and formation as we have a variety of guys and seem to want to have a mix of fronts. 

Yeah.  I can see our LBer corps being a bit of a confusing situational hodgepodge this year.

Jack is probably going to continue to be the guy who stays on the field all the time, and wears the dot.  But i could see them trying to do something more along the lines of what they did moving him around in 2017.  He seemed to struggle in the middle full-time without Poz to handle some of the thumper duties.

I think the "best 3" is probably Jack at WLB, Ryan at MLB if he can stay healthy, and Josh Allen at SLB when they actually have a 3rd LBer on the field.  But they're probably going to want to get Ryan off the field in a lot of coverage situations like they sort of did with Poz.  And i'd certainly imagine they'll want to get Allen kicking down to DE in a lot of situations as well.

Could see Quincy coming in as basically a Nickel LBer in a lot of sets...sorta how they rolled Gip/Church/Ronnie out there at times.  Or even just having Jack slide over from WLB to MLB and Quincy is the Will, if he's as good as the brass seem to think he is.  Darn big step from Murray State to the NFL as a rookie though, and he's really small on top of that.

Leon Jacobs is still hanging around too, and he showed some promise as a SLB, who might get some looks elsewhere with a full year in the system under his belt already.

It's gonna be confusing probably.

Yeah I have no problem with Telvin deciding to do whatever he decides to do, the problem is that he did all of this without communicating with the team throughout the entire off-season. 

Fortunately Allen and Myles have some positional flexibility.

I think it's time to decide where to play Myles...for good. All the flipping around is probably not best for his development. If we want him to be at Will, so be it. If we want him at Mike, fine. But let's get this settled, and quick.

9 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Yeah I have no problem with Telvin deciding to do whatever he decides to do, the problem is that he did all of this without communicating with the team throughout the entire off-season. 

Fortunately Allen and Myles have some positional flexibility.

I think it's time to decide where to play Myles...for good. All the flipping around is probably not best for his development. If we want him to be at Will, so be it. If we want him at Mike, fine. But let's get this settled, and quick.

i didnt like jacks play at MLB in run defense.  i think he struggles shedding blocks against guards.   

what i would do is if i was tom coughlin or Caldwell is go ahead and place telvin on that reserve list and sign Shane ray for a 1 year 4-5 million prove it deal and really allow our defense to have some matchups we can have fun with.  allen was said to be a good cover guy and rusher and i think a combo of jack and allen covering/blitzing from the LB position would really make the defense tough to play against.