Jump to content
Adrenaline_Flux

Telvin Smith sitting out 2019

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

this hasn't aged well

Actually it has. I’m not saying it all applied for Foles...but some of it did (which is why he missed part of OTAs. Not condemning him or saying that it’s something I would have done. Just pointing out something that would have probably NOT happened two decades ago regardless of reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, LinderFournette said:

Ryan isnt cleared to play yet.  Dj Alexander was seen running with the 1s today at wlb

What happened with Leon Jacobs?  He run out of favor in Jacksonville?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

What happened with Leon Jacobs?  He run out of favor in Jacksonville?

He's the SLB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Actually it has. I’m not saying it all applied for Foles...but some of it did (which is why he missed part of OTAs. Not condemning him or saying that it’s something I would have done. Just pointing out something that would have probably NOT happened two decades ago regardless of reason. 

then two decades ago sucked, idk what to tell you. Has nothing to do with a "weakened modern male psych", if you wouldn't have missed a couple of days of OTAs for a miscarriage that's pretty weird and if 2 decades ago that wouldn't have been accepted then we had a serious problem 2 decades ago. If your point is "we've come a long way in socially accepting men sometimes feeling emotional distress" then yes I agree, good stuff, hope we continue in that direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

What happened with Leon Jacobs?  He run out of favor in Jacksonville?

Hes our starting sam by the sounds of the comments of our dc saying josh allen being a de(there was some thoughts he would sam lb and de and get some coverage responsibilities. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

then two decades ago sucked, idk what to tell you. Has nothing to do with a "weakened modern male psych", if you wouldn't have missed a couple of days of OTAs for a miscarriage that's pretty weird and if 2 decades ago that wouldn't have been accepted then we had a serious problem 2 decades ago. If your point is "we've come a long way in socially accepting men sometimes feeling emotional distress" then yes I agree, good stuff, hope we continue in that direction. 

Again...I didn’t say that everything has to apply in every situation. Clearly, I think that Foles was justified and I’m glad that the changes have worked to his benefit so that he can be there for his wife. I only mentioned “weakened male psyche” because it certainly is a factor for some. Societal changes often occur because of psychology at the individual level. 

This is a little bit too complex for me to agree or disagree using a blanket statement. It was just an observation, but feel free to make your own interpretations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Hes our starting sam by the sounds of the comments of our dc saying josh allen being a de(there was some thoughts he would sam lb and de and get some coverage responsibilities. 

 

 Nice, thanks for the response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Hes our starting sam by the sounds of the comments of our dc saying josh allen being a de(there was some thoughts he would sam lb and de and get some coverage responsibilities. 

 

Seems like such a waste of Allen's versatility the way Wash is talking about it tbh.  But i guess we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Seems like such a waste of Allen's versatility the way Wash is talking about it tbh.  But i guess we'll see.

It really depends on how things work out. If he's more someone like Julian Peterson where he's good at getting to the pass rusher, but not elite, and is best used as someone who moves around doing different things then yeah this is disappointing. If he's like Khalil Mack though where he has that elite pass rush ability but is also a great linebacker then it still just makes more sense to play him as a primary pass rusher. That's a big reason why the Raiders moved Mack to a more traditional pass rush role his sophomore NFL season despite a strong rookie season at linebacker. 

I'm not saying Josh Allen is Khalil Mack; just that they have similar qualities and I am sure the hope is that Allen can give us another elite level pass rusher. Besides, him being a pass rusher primarily still doesn't take away our ability to work in some zone blitz stuff where Allen is the one who drops back. I'm sure that will still be included too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'm sure that will still be included too.

With Wash I highly doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think PFF posted Allen's coverage grades and they were below to average in most of it. I think it's just you see a 6'5 250 lb guy and you don't expect someone that size to be able to drop back. 

They also mentioned giving him good scores against the run.

Take that for what it's worth since it's PFF, but if Allen is a legit pass rusher, I have no problem with them rushing him 99 out 100 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

With Wash I highly doubt it.

Considering that in Wash's time as DC we've already seen some zone blitz plays where DEs or DTs drop back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I think PFF posted Allen's coverage grades and they were below to average in most of it. I think it's just you see a 6'5 250 lb guy and you don't expect someone that size to be able to drop back. 

They also mentioned giving him good scores against the run.

Take that for what it's worth since it's PFF, but if Allen is a legit pass rusher, I have no problem with them rushing him 99 out 100 times.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-josh-allens-versatility-makes-him-a-top-5-pick

his last years of coverage grades were pretty good for an edge.   he got a 78.3 and 83.2 coverage grades the last 2 seasons.  the last 2 years hes dropped into coverage appx 300 times. 

last year he forced 6 incompletions on 21 targets which is a pretty good number.  lets not forget his main job was being an edge and not being a simple 4-3 LB either ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Considering that in Wash's time as DC we've already seen some zone blitz plays where DEs or DTs drop back...

https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/film-room-todd-wash-is-the-problem-for-the-jaguars-defense/

 

They speak about Todd Wash’s in ability to properly diagnose when to use a zone blitz in this article actually. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×