Telvin Smith sitting out 2019

Looking at the scuttlebutt it seems we may never see Telvin in a Jags jersey again, or any jersey.

Whole situation is quite of weird. Guessing the team new something was up as they went quite LB heavy in Free Agency and the Draft.

Shame Telvin was a fan favourite and always seemed happy to chat to fans and sign stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Staying healthy is rarely a choice

yes but if its not a bad injury he has a big incentive to tough it out. 

based on what Myles said im guessing ryan is gonna be the wlb cuz he says hes gonna be the mike. 

i kinda feel like we should flip a conditional 7th to the jets for darron lee who should project as a decent will. 

18 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/15/myles-jack-says-hell-remain-at-mike-lb-despite-the-absence-of-telvin-smith/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/15/myles-jack-doesnt-want-to-change-role-as-part-of-plan-to-replace-telvin-smith/

just a few articles saying the teams plan wether right or wrong is to have myles at mike and have Ryan and all the other Lbers compete for the will position. 

Jack’s reason must predominantly be because he doesn’t want to jump from position to position. It seems to me the prisoners are running the asylum because personally  I don’t feel he played inside backer to tough last yr. His skills are better suited covering TEs and doing things that Wash had Poz doing like covering slot receivers at times 🤦‍♂️ . Jack should be using his skill set to cover, tackle in space, and support the run. But let ol Jack tell you where he is going to play Jack would play the position better than Telvin with his skill set. Hopefully Williams can show promise and win the job because I don’t want to see an non athletic backer trying to cover TEs, backs, and slot receivers in space it’s going to be a long season for whoever the will backer is.

Edited by DuvalsKing

1 minute ago, DuvalsKing said:

Jack’s reason must predominantly because he doesn’t want to jump from position to position. It seems to me the prisoners are running the asylum because personal I don’t feel he played inside backer to tough last yr. His skills are better suited covering TE and doing things that Wash had Poz doing like covering slot receivers at times 🤦‍♂️ . Jack should be using his skill set to cover, tackle in space, and support the run. But let ol Jack tell you where he is going to play Jack would play the position better than Telvin with his skill set. Hopefully Williams can show promise and win the job because I don’t want to see an non athletic backer trying to cover TEs, backs, and slot receivers in space it’s going to be a long season for whoever the will backer is.

oh i totally agree that jacks play outside was better then his inside.  the trade idea for lee cant even do that cuz he got traded to the chiefs for a 6th. 

On 15/05/2019 at 11:05 AM, LinderFournette said:

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/15/myles-jack-says-hell-remain-at-mike-lb-despite-the-absence-of-telvin-smith/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/15/myles-jack-doesnt-want-to-change-role-as-part-of-plan-to-replace-telvin-smith/

just a few articles saying the teams plan wether right or wrong is to have myles at mike and have Ryan and all the other Lbers compete for the will position. 

18 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Jack’s reason must predominantly be because he doesn’t want to jump from position to position. It seems to me the prisoners are running the asylum because personally  I don’t feel he played inside backer to tough last yr. His skills are better suited covering TEs and doing things that Wash had Poz doing like covering slot receivers at times 🤦‍♂️ . Jack should be using his skill set to cover, tackle in space, and support the run. But let ol Jack tell you where he is going to play Jack would play the position better than Telvin with his skill set. Hopefully Williams can show promise and win the job because I don’t want to see an non athletic backer trying to cover TEs, backs, and slot receivers in space it’s going to be a long season for whoever the will backer is.

I do get a hint of this from the way they're talking about things, and the way they've talked in the past...and Jack at MLB full-time really didn't seem to work that well.

But at the same time, i think you're hitting on a point that could be key in this whole thing while talking about Jack covering TEs, etc.  The Will/Sam thing can be pretty fluid in this type of defense.  It's a defense where the front 4 doesn't really flip.  Yan is pretty much always the RE for instance.  It's mostly the interior that swaps around gaps and stuff...but it's still more situational than actual formation strength or anything.  So the LBers flipping behind that is the adjustment, more than anything else.  Where like @Adrenaline_Flux suggested...we could see a ton of different looks with this LBer corps, where the "Sam/Will" designation means a lot less than the specific roles/assignments on any given down.

And from that...Jack essentially played "MLB" in 2017 when our LBer corps was part of the best defense in the league.  Not all the time, but i'd wager he took more snaps there than at SAM overall...given the amount of times we were in sub packages minus Poz.

So it wouldn't be a stretch to label Jack the "Mike" for roster/depth chart pruposes...even if he doesn't play there all the time...based on the fact he'll be there in sub packages and ultimately play more snaps there than anywhere else, or anyone else at that particular spot.  ie.  Even if Ryan ends up playing a lot of early-down MLB for us...it still probably makes more sense to list Jack as the MLB because that's who will be manning that spot more often than not.  Jack is going to be the sole permanent fixture of our LBer corps probably.

Foles not at OTA for personal reasons. 

I think what we are seeing is a Swiss-cheese model of work absences because of “personal reasons”. Increasing incidence of mental health issues, increased awareness of psych diseases, increasing pay, a weakened modern male psych, and precedence of employers being willing to support work absences. If I had to predict...this is going to be a growing occurrence in the NFL and something we should probably get use to. 

On 5/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Foles not at OTA for personal reasons. 

I think what we are seeing is a Swiss-cheese model of work absences because of “personal reasons”. Increasing incidence of mental health issues, increased awareness of psych diseases, increasing pay, a weakened modern male psych, and precedence of employers being willing to support work absences. If I had to predict...this is going to be a growing occurrence in the NFL and something we should probably get use to. 

this hasn't aged well