rank the roster: 2019 edition (#5) (complete)

FinneasGage

who's the 5th best player on the packers?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. who's the 5th best player on the packers?

• Jaire Alexander
    • Corey Linsley
    • Blake Martinez
    • Bryan Bulaga
    • Mike Daniels
    • Aaron Jones
    • Za'Darius Smith
    • Preston Smith
    • Adrian Amos
    • Kevin King
    • Tony Brown
    • Kyler Fackrell
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Rashan Gary
    • Darnell Savage
    • Dean Lowry
    • Tramon Williams
    • Josh Jackson
    • Geronimo Allison
    • Elgton Jenkins

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I trust that you appreciate them. But in the context of our roster it's pretty clear to me that they're above Alexander/Amos/Smiths.

We're ranking the talent on the roster, correct? 

The question is: 

Who's the Xth best player on the Packers? 

Not --> Who's the Xth most important player to the Packers success. 

At least that's how I view it. Neither of the Smiths should be ahead of Bulaga or Linsley. 

Edited by Cadmus

Just now, Cadmus said:

We're ranking the talent on the roster, correct? 

The question is: 

Who's the Xth best player on the Packers? 

Not --> Who's the Xth most important player to the Packers success. 

At least that's how I view it. Neither of the Smiths should be ahead of Bulaga or Linsley. 

I completely agree. I just believe that Linsley has had comparable success to Amos for a longer period of time; in the case of Bulaga more success than Amos for longer.

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

There's more talent at some positions than others. We're ranking the roster in hand, not the NFL as a whole. 

There's only so many talented big men in the NFL, we all know this. Does that make Linsley (A Top 8 Center) a better football player than Amos (a Top 10-15 S)? No.  

In terms of overall football talent, I think Amos is the obvious selection at #6. 

Amos wasn't the best safety on his own team last year. Assuming he's a top quarter safety in the league is a bridge too far. We need to see what that looks like when operating as the man.

Linsley isn't the point of contention. Bulaga is. Man was a rock last year. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Amos wasn't the best safety on his own team last year. Assuming he's a top quarter safety in the league is a bridge too far. We need to see what that looks like when operating as the man.

How do you feel about Bulaga vs. Alexander?

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not like they didn't have the best safety tandem in the NFL. 

I have zero issue with Bulaga, he's fantastic and underappreciated, but I think Amos is the better overall football player. 

EDIT: Wait:.... I didn't read the other part of that first sentence... you realize Amos was an excellent safety well before Jackson ever wore a Bears jersey, correct? I know we don't like to admit our opponents have good players sometimes, but Amos has proven he's been good since his rookie season.

Edited by Cadmus

15 minutes ago, deathstar said:

How do you feel about Bulaga vs. Alexander?

Bulaga was better last year. How do you feel about Alexander moving forward? If you think Alexander's gonna take the next step, I've got no beef if somebody wants to pick Alexander. 

I feel like Amos is more in the Linsley/Graham tier than he is the Bulaga/Alexander/Smith's tier.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bulaga was better last year. How do you feel about Alexander moving forward? If you think Alexander's gonna take the next step, I've got no beef if somebody wants to pick Alexander. 

I feel like Amos is more in the Linsley/Graham tier than he is the Bulaga/Alexander/Smith's tier.

It's shocking to me that you view either of the Smith's (let alone both) above Amos in terms of football talent (and I love Preston's game). 

Putting him in the same tier as Graham is a complete head-scratcher for me---unless you expect Jimmy to revert to his 2013 form. 

17 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

It's not like they didn't have the best safety tandem in the NFL. 

I have zero issue with Bulaga, he's fantastic and underappreciated, but I think Amos is the better overall football player. 

EDIT: Wait:.... I didn't read the other part of that first sentence... you realize Amos was an excellent safety well before Jackson ever wore a Bears jersey, correct? I know we don't like to admit our opponents have good players sometimes, but Amos has proven he's been good since his rookie season.

Amos has never been excellent in his career. He's been solid to good, but there's a vast world of gray you are skipping over to get to excellent. 

This is a young player who has had ups and downs in his shirt career coming into a different team scheme and locker room and being asked to take on a new role. There is nothing sure about this signing.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Amos has never been excellent in his career. He's been solid to good, but there's a vast world of gray you are skipping over to get to excellent. 

This is a young player who has had ups and downs in his shirt career coming into a different team scheme and locker room and being asked to take on a new role. There is nothing sure about this signing.

We'll just have to disagree on this one. 

I think he's clearly more talented than you're willing to admit, but the conversation is going nowhere-- so I'm good. 

7 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

It's shocking to me that you view either of the Smith's (let alone both) above Amos in terms of football talent (and I love Preston's game). 

Putting him in the same tier as Graham is a complete head-scratcher for me---unless you expect Jimmy to revert to his 2013 form. 

My expectation for Amos is average safety this year. Maybe a little better.

What are you thinking this is going to look like this year?

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

My expectation for Amos is average safety this year. Maybe a little better.

What are you thinking this is going to look like this year?

Huh? 

What do I think Amos will look like? The defense? Not exactly sure what you're asking. 

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Both, yes, what are you envisioning Amos role going to be and how well do you see him executing that role?

Solid, yet unspectacular which is fine for what we need at that position. We need Savage to be spectacular this year or at worst next year and very solid this year. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Solid, yet unspectacular which is fine for what we need at that position. We need Savage to be spectacular this year or at worst next year and very solid this year. 

Very unlikely that a rookie safety is going to be very solid in year 1, especially not without making significant concessions in other areas.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Very unlikely that a rookie safety is going to be very solid in year 1, especially not without making significant concessions in other areas.

Derwin James? Smaller, but same type of athletic talent.