Dolphins sign CB Xavien Howard to record deal

RaidersAreOne

31 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

Hmm... Any data to support your claim of him leaving and dying by press?

He allowed the 3rd lowest rate of catches at 50.9%, yet allowed the 2nd worst yards per catch at 16.2.  He’s a borderline top 10 cornerback and got the biggest contract for a cornerback in nfl history (yes, I know highest paid players at each position change every offseason, but he’s clearly not worth $15 million a year)

I know you’re gonna defend your players which is fine, but if everyone else is telling you it’s a bad deal, then it’s probably a bad deal lol.  If you need more data than that then it seems like you’re just demanding unnecessary proof for something you refuse to believe

19 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Might as well.  They don't have anyone else worth re-signing soon except maybe Tunsil and Godchaux(and not to this level) and he is a cornerstone-type player.  Plus, it'll push the CB market up for other teams.  

Trae Waynes is going to get paid, that's for sure.

29 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Great player but dang he misses a lot of games with nagging knee injuries. Kinda feeling thumbs down for a rebuilding team to do a gigantor contract. 

Unless someone else signed a slot deal, Fins now have the NFL's highest-paid slot corner (Bobby McCain), highest-paid CB (Xavien Howard) and 4th-highest paid Safety (Reshad Jones). And yet the pass defense probably scares...no one.  

Thumbs down? If Rosen is in fact the QB going forward, this is probably the best move made in the offseason. We will only have big money tied to X and Tunsil for the next 2-3 years.

We were the 12th in pass defense with no pass-rush and a crap DC last year.

35 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

He allowed the 3rd lowest rate of catches at 50.9%, yet allowed the 2nd worst yards per catch at 16.2.  He’s a borderline top 10 cornerback and got the biggest contract for a cornerback in nfl history (yes, I know highest paid players at each position change every offseason, but he’s clearly not worth $15 million a year)

I know you’re gonna defend your players which is fine, but if everyone else is telling you it’s a bad deal, then it’s probably a bad deal lol.  If you need more data than that then it seems like you’re just demanding unnecessary proof for something you refuse to believe

No one else is saying it's a bad deal besides casual fans and they're wrong all of the time. Have you heard any film-junkies or analyts, you know people who actually know what they're talking about, say it's a bad deal? 

That info also does not prove your theory that he lives and dies by press. Look at what he did to Amari, T.Y, and Hopkins(who pushed off multiple times) last year.  It actually proves why he deserves the contract lol. YPC is a skewed stat that can be related to blown coverages, missed assignments, etc.

37 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Jesus if Byron keeps up his current pace I can't imagine what his agent will ask for.

Chill... He’s not even gonna get paid imo. 

But this speaks more of what jalens contract is going to look. Jesus I can see it already the first CB to make 25 mil a year sheeeesh. 

3 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Chill... He’s not even gonna get paid imo. 

But this speaks more of what jalens contract is going to look. Jesus I can see it already the first CB to make 25 mil a year sheeeesh. 

Bruh. He's getting paid, lets not fool ourselves. He may not get paid by us. But he's getting paid.

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Bruh. He's getting paid, lets not fool ourselves. He may not get paid by us. But he's getting paid.

This is his last year deal right? If so I’ll like to see the numbers my self. I just doubt he repeats his performance imo. 

47 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

No one else is saying it's a bad deal besides casual fans and they're wrong all of the time. Have you heard any film-junkies or analyts, you know people who actually know what they're talking about, say it's a bad deal? 

That info also does not prove your theory that he lives and dies by press. Look at what he did to Amari, T.Y, and Hopkins(who pushed off multiple times) last year.  It actually proves why he deserves the contract lol. YPC is a skewed stat that can be related to blown coverages, missed assignments, etc.

Lol, there’s plenty of people who are calling it an overpay that aren’t just casual fans.  YPC may be a skewed stat in itself, but in conjunction with catch rate it tells a lot about a player.  In this instance, it shows that if Howard isn’t able to jam the receiver off the line of scrimmage, more than likely he gets burned.  You know what else is a skewed stat?  Interceptions

Out of the 3 guys you listed, the only guy that Howard was actually successful against was Cooper (2 catches for 17 yards).  Hilton had 7 catches for 125 yards and a TD, while Hopkins had 6 catches for 82 yards and 2 TDs (and this doesn’t include the ridiculous between the legs catch that was called back for ticky tacky offensive pass interference)

• Like 1