Dolphins sign CB Xavien Howard to record deal

RaidersAreOne

I don't think Peterson's deal was/is a bad one. Sure, the Cardinals sucked last year and weren't doing a whole lot before that, but it's not because of the contract they gave Peterson. He's still one of the better CBs in the league.

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

Could make that argument. Could also say that it's the Pats who've won every which way regardless, but maybe.

You can make the argument with Gilmore.  You could also make the argument with Rhodes and Trufant.

2 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

You can make the argument with Gilmore.  You could also make the argument with Rhodes and Trufant.

Sure you can, but I don't think it's accurate, the Patriots are the Patriots and probably make it with or without Gilmore. Xavier Rhodes? By the Vikings who have 1 playoff win in his 6 seasons? 2 seasons with more than 8 wins? a .550 win percentage? I don't really see the argument in that case.

The Falcons have had a couple of good seasons in 2016 and 2017. Haven't had the sustained success but they did make the Super Bowl so there is a bit more of a case here.

I'll also give a nod to Richard Sherman and the Seahawks as a for case.

Usually though it seems that it's less likely to work out than be a good move.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Sure you can, but I don't think it's accurate, the Patriots are the Patriots and probably make it with or without Gilmore. Xavier Rhodes? By the Vikings who have 1 playoff win in his 6 seasons? 2 seasons with more than 8 wins? a .550 win percentage? I don't really see the argument in that case.

The Falcons have had a couple of good seasons in 2016 and 2017. Haven't had the sustained success but they did make the Super Bowl so there is a bit more of a case here.

I'll also give a nod to Richard Sherman and the Seahawks as a for case.

Usually though it seems that it's less likely to work out than be a good move.

Going back, Talib is a good example as well.  Seems its about half and half, not much of basis to say only bad or middling teams do it.

41 minutes ago, Danger said:

I honestly don't know the last time paying a Corner big time money actually was worth it. It seems like only bad to middling teams do this.

Jets with Revis
Redskins with Norman
Cardinals with Peterson

You could say the Texans with Bouye but... they got bounced in the first round. I wonder if perhaps they could have used that money elsewhere. Houston was bottom 5 in passing yardage, and average in every other defensive passing stat. All this despite having both Watt and Clowney. 

It just doesn't seem like it's a formula for winning. 

This is more on the overall lack of talent on the Cardinals with Peterson. He has been worth the contract they gave him. Coverage is the 2nd most important trait in football after QB play so I do think it's logical to pay your corners. However the argument can be made that you should spread the money around the secondary and not on 1 player because the performance year by year can change by a decent bit for one player. 

Here a good video that discusses this topic: 

Bouye signed a big contract with the Jags and was one of the major reasons they made it to the AFCCG and nearly to the SB.

Gilmore got signed by the Patriots because Belichick realized years ago that we only win SBs with an elite secondary and with very good corners. 

So while I don't love giving 1 player 15+ million per year I don't hate it if it's for an elite CB.

57 minutes ago, Danger said:

You could say the Texans with Bouye but... they got bounced in the first round. I wonder if perhaps they could have used that money elsewhere. Houston was bottom 5 in passing yardage, and average in every other defensive passing stat. All this despite having both Watt and Clowney. 

Texans didn't re-sign Bouye? Jags did. 

Just now, Danger said:

DERP.

It probably shows an example of why you SHOULD re-sign a CB. The Texans secondary went from OK to downright atrocious overnight, thanks to that Bouye decision.

Man, Kevin Johnson was bad.

Just now, SBLIII said:

This is more on the overall lack of talent on the Cardinals with Peterson. He has been worth the contract they gave him. Coverage is the 2nd most important trait in football after QB play so I do think it's logical to pay your corners. However the argument can be made that you should spread the money around the secondary and not on 1 player because the performance year by year can change by a decent bit for one player. 

This is more my argument. I'm not suggesting most of these players based on the market didn't live up to their contracts, just that it more often than not paying top dollar to a corner doesn't yield great results for a team and that the money is better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

When they pay him, "Who? Overpaid. This is why they always suck."

If they didn't resign him, "Typical Dolphins lose all the best players. This is why they always suck."

I would say the Dolphins would have been better off following suit with what they did involving Lamar Miller and Jarvis Landry and not paid them considering that both were looking for huge amounts of money and weren’t even top 10 players at their positions

The way this title was phrased, left me wondering if they'd signed him to a "record-breaking" deal...or a "record making" deal as a musical artist or something.  Neither would've really surprised me more than the other, though i feel like there would be some salary cap circumvention CBA entanglements with the musical record deal option.

5 hours ago, Danger said:

I honestly don't know the last time paying a Corner big time money actually was worth it. It seems like only bad to middling teams do this.

Jets with Revis
Redskins with Norman
Cardinals with Peterson

Well Revis in his prime was basically a top 5 defense each and every year and I'm pretty sure he lead the #1 defense back to back years.  I'm pretty sure the Jets were good with signing him.

They overpaid the second time around when he was getting to the end of his prime though.

5 hours ago, Danger said:

Jets with Revis
Redskins with Norman
Cardinals with Peterson

Charles Woodson to the Packers. He appears to have had a contract that valued around 6th-8th highest in the league when he won Defensive MVP in 2009. Pretty wild how looking back even just 10 years how much more these guys are making. Charles Woodson at $6m a year... wow.

Just now, Cheesehawk said:

Charles Woodson to the Packers. He appears to have had a contract that valued around 6th-8th highest in the league when he won Defensive MVP in 2009. Pretty wild how looking back even just 10 years how much more these guys are making. Charles Woodson at $6m a year... wow.

6th-8th not record deal.