Dolphins sign CB Xavien Howard to record deal

RaidersAreOne

I'm not entirely sure that a rebuilding club is the one that should be paying a CB that kind of money, but I won't complain about the player.  X deserves it, and I suppose it is nice to be able to lock up the elite talent that was actually drafted and developed with the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm not entirely sure that a rebuilding club is the one that should be paying a CB that kind of money, but I won't complain about the player.  X deserves it, and I suppose it is nice to be able to lock up the elite talent that was actually drafted and developed with the team.

So torn about this dealio, I like X and cool to see him get rewarded for his hard work, but does a rebuilding team need 'NFL's highest paid at *any* position? Maybe the contract language will really just be a 2- or 3-year marriage. 

You have to have (young) veteran presence on the field for the new guys to get guidance from and Howard,  Tunsil,  Mcmillan, Baker and guys like these are the new home grown franchise playes that will be the foundation for hopefully great things to come.. You cannot let the best corner in the league walk just because you are rebuilding, then you are using draft picks hoping to replace what you already had and let go . Howard will be in his prime for the next 5 years along with Fitzpatrick that is a solid foundation in the secondary, Reshad  Jones will be the dead weight cap wise that will have to be dealt with in the future  as he nears the end of his prime playing time.

Here is a good article that breaks down Howard’s contract.  As it turns out he is not exactly the highest paid CB as earlier reported.  At an average of $12.96 Mil per year he makes less per year than CB’s; AJ Bouye, Stephon Gilmore, Trumaine Johnson, and Josh Norman.  Additionally, the current franchise tag for a CB is $16 Mil for year 1.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/10/xavien-howards-deal-not-quite-what-it-seems-to-be/

Edited by Swampbilly

On 5/10/2019 at 11:59 AM, FinSting said:

So torn about this dealio, I like X and cool to see him get rewarded for his hard work, but does a rebuilding team need 'NFL's highest paid at *any* position? Maybe the contract language will really just be a 2- or 3-year marriage. 

You can afford to pay big money to YOUNG talent when your entire QB room is making a whopping $7m.  

Also sends a message to your younger players that if you perform, you will get paid.  Look at the big picture.  Tunsil will get paid.  As he should.  Dolphins wont have big QB money on the books for at least 4 years.