49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

Webby likes when we break topics like this up so that newbies can find everything a little bit easier, so I'm going to put this up where we can put up our cut downs, claims and final 53 discussion. Maybe put up which of our guys catch on elsewhere.

I thought I read that the 49ers were expected to start making their cuts today, ahead of the deadline. 

Interesting projection on there. Bourne and Bolden making it with Kerley gone. Dial and Chris Jones sticking, Marks gone. I don't like the he has Coyle on there. Interesting that he doesn't have Redmond on the roster or the practice squad and has us going outside of the current roster for an OLB and TE and third quarterback.

That was my first time trying to split a post...so that was a learning experience....the original post was supposed to be the one where I said webby likes splitting topics and that's why I created this thread, and then I tried to add the kevin jones tweet as a reply, but apparently when I split it, it became the main post for this thread lol. 

Would really like to see the depth chart look like :

2 QBs - Hoyer, Beathard

5 RBs - Hyde, Breida, Williams, Mostert, Juice

9 WR/TEs - Garçon, Goodwin, Robinson, Taylor, Bolden, (Anyone not named Kerley), Kittle, Paulsen, Celek

9 OL - Staley, Tomlinson, Kilgore, Fusco, Brown, Gilliam, Theus, Beadles, Magnuson

9 DL - Thomas, Mitchell, Buckner, Armstead, Dial, Jones, Lynch, Carradine, Dumervil

6 LBs - Bowman, Foster, Harold, Watson, Armstrong, Calitro

5 CBs - Robinson, Johnson, Williams, Witherspoon, Jackson

5 S - Reid, Ward, Tartt, Jerome, Colbert

3 ST - Gould, Pinion, Nelson

Gives is a chance to keep some youth on the back end of our talent as well as use some athletic youngsters on STs.

First guys to go in my mind if we do decide to pick up some players off other teams cuts would be whoever the 6th WR is, Celek, Magnuson (moved to PS) or Jackson.

8 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Would really like to see the depth chart look like :

2 QBs - Hoyer, Beathard

5 RBs - Hyde, Breida, Williams, Mostert, Juice

9 WR/TEs - Garçon, Goodwin, Robinson, Taylor, Bolden, (Anyone not named Kerley), Kittle, Paulsen, Celek

9 OL - Staley, Tomlinson, Kilgore, Fusco, Brown, Gilliam, Theus, Beadles, Magnuson

9 DL - Thomas, Mitchell, Buckner, Armstead, Dial, Jones, Lynch, Carradine, Dumervil

6 LBs - Bowman, Foster, Harold, Watson, Armstrong, Calitro

5 CBs - Robinson, Johnson, Williams, Witherspoon, Jackson

5 S - Reid, Ward, Tartt, Jerome, Colbert

3 ST - Gould, Pinion, Nelson

Gives is a chance to keep some youth on the back end of our talent as well as use some athletic youngsters on STs.

First guys to go in my mind if we do decide to pick up some players off other teams cuts would be whoever the 6th WR is, Celek, Magnuson (moved to PS) or Jackson.

I think this is pretty good. I like that you have Calitro in there. I much prefer him over Croyle, who a lot of the beat writers have on their 53 man. I wonder if we will sacrifice Colbert to the PS though for a free agent pick up. I can't imagine that there won't be anyone coming across the wire that we won't want. 

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

Magnuson, Colbert, Calitro could all get kicked down to the PS in this scenario if we indeed look add more as well. Personally I'd rather see some guys like Celek and Jackson just be upgraded altogether and get rid of them but we shall see.

That's kind of where I'm at. If someone cuts a solid guard / center, then yeah, I could see Magnuson get pushed down because I think a backup guard / center will see the field still, so I understand the merit in keeping someone in there that has some history of being okay rather than putting trust in a UDFA. Colbert I'm not completely sold has made the roster. I just haven't seen him do enough through TC and preseason that makes me think that someone will claim him. I could be wrong, of course. If we are going to keep Croyle, then I would definitely just keep Calitro above him. Much more impressed with the latter. Obviously if we aren't keeping that extra linebacker, then I'd waive Croyle and keep Calitro on the practice squad. 

I saw one projection that actually had us cutting Aaron Lynch. I really hope that we don't do that. If we dont' want him, there's absolutely no way we couldn't get something for him in a trade. There's no reason whatsoever to just cut him. Teams will always make a low risk move for a pass rusher with some upside. There'd have to be a market there. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Interesting projection on there. Bourne and Bolden making it with Kerley gone. Dial and Chris Jones sticking, Marks gone. I don't like the he has Coyle on there. Interesting that he doesn't have Redmond on the roster or the practice squad and has us going outside of the current roster for an OLB and TE and third quarterback.

Aaron Lynch is gonna get cut?

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Aaron Lynch is gonna get cut?

He's not the only one that I've seen make that projection. I think that his playing into the second half last night was very alarming for several people. I'm more inclined to go with what y2 said - we just didn't have anyone else to play there last night with Pita playing Sam. We didn't dress Dumervil or Armstead, who are the two players at the LEO spot ahead of Lynch. That being said, I get why people are not considering Lynch a roster lock, though I think there is some very minor trade value there should we want to jettison him, so I'd be a little disappointed if we just straight up cut him. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's not the only one that I've seen make that projection. I think that his playing into the second half last night was very alarming for several people. I'm more inclined to go with what y2 said - we just didn't have anyone else to play there last night with Pita playing Sam. We didn't dress Dumervil or Armstead, who are the two players at the LEO spot ahead of Lynch. That being said, I get why people are not considering Lynch a roster lock, though I think there is some very minor trade value there should we want to jettison him, so I'd be a little disappointed if we just straight up cut him. 

I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the roster or is traded. You can never have too many quality pass rushers. Lynch has had a great preseason with the opportunities provided to him. He's only 24 still. Doom won't be sticking around for a while.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

If Mostert makes the roster over Hightower (and I think that is likely), our backup running backs will have one career nfl carry lol. 

Meh. I'll take the talent at that position almost always. I mean how is Tim Hightower's experience gonna make him the better player overall?

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the roster or is traded. You can never have too many quality pass rushers. Lynch has had a great preseason with the opportunities provided to him. He's only 24 still. Doom won't be sticking around for a while.

The only thing I have to wonder is how much they consider future years. He's a free after the year is done. If they really aren't fans of his overall, and think it's unlikely that they are going to offer him a contract moving forward, are they considering that yet? Because that would make sense to at least shop him in a trade for a late round pick. But I don't know if that's something they are actually thinking about at this point in time. 

Archived