49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

Eric Branch's roster projection are pretty standard on offense. Has us keeping Barkley, cutting Hightower in favor of Mostert, keeping Kerley over Bourne at receiver (with Burbridge also being a cut), Celek and Paulsen as the back up tight ends. The biggest surprise on offense is probably the line - has us keeping Theus over Gilliam (which is funny because another projection I saw had us not even keeping Theus on the PS). 

On defense, he has us cutting Blair, Douzable, Marks and Chris Jones, but keeping Dial. Personally, I think Dial is in trouble and could definitely see us keeping Marks over him. 

At linebacker, he has Pita getting cut, and keeping Coyle over Calitro (for the love of god, whyyyyyyyy? I don't get what people are seeing here). In the secondary, he has Redmond getting cut, along with Reaser and holding on to Jackson, while he has us keeping Colbert at safety. I find this interesting - given the givens, I'm much more lkely to keep Pita over Colbert. The latter has shown very little so far during TC and preseason, so there is far less likely a chance that he will be claimed, in my opinion. I guess there is some logic with his versatility, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'm probably keeping Pita

2 hours ago, Forge said:

has us keeping Theus over Gilliam (which is funny because another projection I saw had us not even keeping Theus on the PS). 

On defense, he has us cutting Blair, Douzable, Marks and Chris Jones, but keeping Dial. Personally, I think Dial is in trouble and could definitely see us keeping Marks over him. 

At linebacker, he has Pita getting cut, and keeping Coyle over Calitro (for the love of god, whyyyyyyyy? I don't get what people are seeing here).

Just in terms of predictions, I would agree that we are likely to see Theus over Gilliam and Coyle over Calitro. I don't really have a horse in the Theus vs. Gilliam race (Gilliam was better in the preseason as far as I'm concerned), but I would much prefer Calitro. I just think he's a safe practice squad player and the team clearly prefers Coyle. 

1:33 p.m. -- The 49ers released linebacker Shayne Skov, a source told NBC Sports Bay Area. The 49ers signed Skov, the former Stanford star on Aug. 17, after placing rookie linebacker Donavin Newsom on injured reserve. The 49ers have cut Skov five times since signing with the club as an undrafted rookie in 2014.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/cut-down-day-tracker-follow-how-49ers-get-roster-53-players

2 down, no surprises. Also - LOL that we cut Skov 5 times now. Guess we can't quit him. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Interesting note from Can Inman. He doesn't think that Celek is on the roster bubble and has the TE2 role locked up because he didn't even dress last night. He thinks that the TE3 spot is between Paulsen, Bell and Cole. 

Well, Barkley also did not dress last night, so I don't know what that means necessarily. I imagine there'll be another player or two in that category as well. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Per MM, guys that we would more than likely prefer to bring back on the PS will be cut tomorrow rather than today. Said to expect two rounds of cuts. 

Not overly surprised that McCloskey won't be looked at for the PS, but that's my first incorrect prediction. 

6 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Not overly surprised that McCloskey won't be looked at for the PS, but that's my first incorrect prediction. 

Honestly, wouldn't have minded it. I think it's largely just due to his position. Not enough value there I would guess. If Juice Check gets hurt, I would assume we think that there's no problem whatsoever with being able to give him a call and bring him back. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Amazing trade. At least we got Taylor. I think the lesson here is: don't overdo trying to get Kylo RBs... don't trade, don't sign free agents early on. Just grab any UDFA and we got a surefire probowler (okay, jumping the gun on Breida, maybe not a probowler, but at the very least a valuable player).

Archived