49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Maybe - The team could just go with Beadles. 

maybe, but then who's #8? Keep Gilliam and Theus? Staley / Brown / Kilgore / Fusco / Tomlinson / Gilliam / Beadles / ????? Theus or Mags  would assume. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Was probably our 4th best safety/2nd best Special Teams player all preseason. Was very good on coverage units. 

Was he? Hadn't really noticed him on special teams like I noticed Watson, Colbert, Mostert and some others. He might be our 4th best S right now but would much rather go with the potential of Colbert and Jerome.

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

Was he? Hadn't really noticed him on special teams like I noticed Watson, Colbert, Mostert and some others. He might be our 4th best S right now but would much rather go with the potential of Colbert and Jerome.

Well, Jerome was never in doubt. And I still have serious doubts about Colbert making the squad (would think Don Jones or one of the corners is the bigger beneficiary). But as for wants - definitely would prefer Colbert. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

I still think Theus over Gilliam, and certainly not both (no reason to have two backup tackles on the 53 when neither have long-term promise). And until Garnett officially makes it to the IR, he'd be the 8th OL roster spot and inactive on gamedays. 

Oh yeah, I was assuming IR with GArnett. Okay, that makes sense. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Well, Jerome was never in doubt. And I still have serious doubts about Colbert making the squad (would think Don Jones or one of the corners is the bigger beneficiary). But as for wants - definitely would prefer Colbert. 

I'm not sold by any means on Colbert either, his hitting and athleticism are very enticing to me however. For right now, id keep him on STs and let him tear that up while we coach him up. Worth a shot with an athlete like him.

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm not sold by any means on Colbert either, his hitting and athleticism are very enticing to me however. For right now, id keep him on STs and let him tear that up while we coach him up. Worth a shot with an athlete like him.

Maybe if we were in Superbowl or bust mode, we would better off with the proven ST player, but right now, in a rebuild, I prefer to take the young guy with potential upside at another position over a guy like Sunseri who doesn't really have defensive upside. The Sunseris of this world can be found every offseason. 

Archived