What is your opinion on Lamar Jackson and the Ravens offense?

Kiwibrown

We know as little about how the Ravens offense will look as just about any team in the league. 

Seems like people aren't really grasping that they threw together an offense built up from a change of pace package into a full time thing to keep the team afloat while Flacco healed. Given they went on that tear and only lost 1 OT game at KC, it made sense to see how far it could take them. The offensive coordinator was fired/replaced and yet everyone thinks they want to do the exact same thing?

We aren't going to see the 2018 offense again for 16 games. Lamar Jackson running will be a huge asset and I'm glad they aren't afraid to use that. But we're talking about a guy who was born the same year as the 3 new rookie 1st round QBs. There is a wide range of outcomes for his development and career, despite how much you want to make simplistic comparisons.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 4

They are really taking the whole 'run the ball and play defense' thing to a whole new level in the year 2019. My concern is that nearly every offensive fad has been figured out by NFL defenses at some point. This just really seems like trying to make the 2012 tebow offense a actual long term project. It all hinges on if Jackson can develop into any sort of resemblance of a NFL passing QB threat. If he does, fine its workable--just have to hope againt injury which seems unlikely given his frame. If he doesnt, this will all go down in flames after 2019.

Edited by AkronsWitness

It's not going to be some sort of magical exception to the rule. They'll likely start out looking decent the first few games, but as the season goes on the offense will begin to struggle more and more. I don't think Jackson will necessarily get hurt, but he's going to have to learn to throw the football (And no, we don't need a single gif pass as 'proof') with regularity, and at the moment he has not shown that ability in the NFL.

• Like 3

It's all going to depend on what Lamar Jackson shows THROWING THE FOOTBALL. Running him 15+ times a game isn't sustainable, period. If he's able to be even an above average passer, look out. They have TE and RB mismatches with a burner on the outside (Hollywood, assuming he even becomes DeSean Jackson good), so having 8-9 guys stacked in the box won't work.

That said, if he isn't good throwing the football, power read and inverted veer options with him won't work well in the long run.

• Like 2

I think Lamar will be better than most people think, but I don’t see a franchise QB who will be playing at a high level for 10 years, no.

High TOP, lots of running, lack of big passing plays. Maybe similar to Dallas before the Cooper trade?