What is your opinion on Lamar Jackson and the Ravens offense?

Kiwibrown

Lamar can throw. He has a cannon and CAN hit tight windows. The physical talent is there, like a more erratic Brett Favre throwing wise. If he ever gets consistent with the throws, he’ll be dangerous. Unfortunately his legs hurt him at this stage of development, he relies on them too much and hasn’t worked hard enough towards being a consistent threat with his arm. I expect to see the Ravens offense giving him the true rookie treatment this season. He’ll be asked to hand the ball off and make one or two reads on passing plays before being asked to go to the check down. I do not expect the Ravens to bring back the fat cat offense with him. It was exposed as worthless in the post season without the basics being solid behind it. I’d expect them to keep it under raps until they establish the basic run, run,  pass fundamentals this season. 

• Like 1

just know I'm gonna be big mad if our defense struggles against it. long drives taking up 6-8 minutes at a time with the potential of a big play with the addition of brown.

can see it being really annoying as a steelers fan if it works against us..

I'm definitely higher on it than most. They get a huge benefit in that they're the only ones in the league that are going to be running anywhere near as much as they do, so it'll be annoying as hell to gameplan against. I really don't understand all the Lamar Jackson can't throw sentiment. He's no Mahomes or Goff or anything, but we saw the guy throw just fine in college. People talk like he can't hit a wide open guy 10 yards in front of him, and it's not nearly that bad. He's closer to Cam Newton coming into the league as a passer than, say, Pat White or something.

I will echo the injury concern though. Part of why the NFL has never really gone all in on including a QB in the rushing game is because of the injury risk. Your RB misses a few games, that's fairly replaceable in most cases. Your QB does, even on a run heavy team that's asking less of their QB, the drop off is going to be considerable. So you run that risk of one bad hit that even makes him miss a game or two, and that can be the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Malik said:

Still confused why people think Lamar Jackson has 0 chance to improve as a passer.

Because he has to improve an incredible amount. His improvements would literally have to overshadow any other QB development for him to ever reach the category of "good" in terms of passing.

55 minutes ago, Malik said:

Still confused why people think Lamar Jackson has 0 chance to improve as a passer.

Agreed.  Particularly when the playoff game is being used as the primary justification.  He's the youngest QB to ever start a playoff game, yet he's somehow locked in place for the remainder of his career?  Further, he was middle-of-the pack for the 1st round QBs as it pertains to completion percentage.  It's not like he's on an island of poor passing performance.

He had a passer rating of 84.5.

For comparison:

Baker - 93.7
Darnold - 77.6
Allen - 67.9
Rosen - 66.7

Passer rating isn't a perfect statistic (nothing is), but he's become this passing pariah and it doesn't make a ton of sense.

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Agreed.  Particularly when the playoff game is being used as the primary justification.  He's the youngest QB to ever start a playoff game, yet he's somehow locked in place for the remainder of his career?  Further, he was middle-of-the pack for the 1st round QBs as it pertains to completion percentage.  It's not like he's on an island of poor passing performance.

He had a passer rating of 84.5.

For comparison:

Baker - 93.7
Darnold - 77.6
Allen - 67.9
Rosen - 66.7

Passer rating isn't a perfect statistic (nothing is), but he's become this passing pariah and it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Right. People talk about Lamar Jackson like he was historically terrible as a passer. He wasn't ever Nathan Peterman out there. Or EJ Manuel. I understand it was a different era, but Steve McNair was a pretty good to sometimes great running QB for a long time without ever putting up Peyton Manning numbers. If he's even 2010 Vick he'll be solid across his career.

2 hours ago, Malik said:

Right. People talk about Lamar Jackson like he was historically terrible as a passer. He wasn't ever Nathan Peterman out there. Or EJ Manuel. I understand it was a different era, but Steve McNair was a pretty good to sometimes great running QB for a long time without ever putting up Peyton Manning numbers. If he's even 2010 Vick he'll be solid across his career.

2010 Vick was incredible.