What is your opinion on Lamar Jackson and the Ravens offense?

Kiwibrown

26 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

That's a respectable and pretty bold prediction to say the Ravens will move on from Jackson as the starter during or after the 2019 season. Let's see if it happens.

I can safely say there is no way that is happening. They won't give up on him after one bad year if that's what he has. This isn't Arizona.

1 hour ago, bomont said:

I can safely say there is no way that is happening. They won't give up on him after one bad year if that's what he has. This isn't Arizona.

It wouldn’t be 1 bad year. It would be 1.5 bad years of throwing the football and being careless with it.

...theoretically according to me. We will see what transpires. 

• Like 1

I believe in Jackson's ability to progress as a passer. As long as they can get him to run less, I see him being a good QB. That offense they're constructing has the potential to be deadly. This draft they added a lot of speed and athleticism between Brown, Boykin, and Hill. Speaking as a rival fan, that offense could be scary in a year or two. I certainly wouldn't complain if the whole thing flames out though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

It wouldn’t be 1 bad year. It would be 1.5 bad years of throwing the football and being careless with it.

...theoretically according to me. We will see what transpires. 

OK 1.5. My point stands. You will see Jackson at QB in 2020.

I don't really want to play them, tbh

That's more of a commentary on our lack of speed on D, rather than their scariness or whatever. They'd have given us a LOT more problems than LAC did, for example, in the Div round.

I would be annoyed as a Ravens fan though, if I'm honest. I'm full-on team pocket-passer statue.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

I am 100% intrigued by it.  No other team has this type of offense and I find it extremely interesting to see how they run it and how it works.

Not sure the long term viability of it but it could be fun to watch when it's clicking.  

• Like 1

I think we'll see an evolution of this offense - we'll see less of the run first philosophy, with an addition of simple passing concept taking the reigns. You'll see heavy use of the TEs inside the hashmarks, and simply "fire and forget" stuff to Hollywood outside the hashes.

It's all about spoon-feeding Lamar Jackson - just slowly build on the foundation of what you did last season, letting Jackson develop at his own pace, and retain what he does well in large doses to keep his confidence up.

It's similar to what Steve McNair went through when he made the jump from Alcorn State to the Titans - the athleticism and tools are there to be very good, but it's got to be a slow development, not trying to get him there as soon as possible.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 9:20 AM, N4L said:

Its just as likely that he has a 'worse' passing season next year as it is that he 'improves' as a passer. DCs will have a full year of film on him. I think you are discrediting that aspect of it. Everyone is going to do exactly what the chargers did and then some. The formula to beat him was put on film and everyone will be able to break it down in great detail. Its much much different than having one or two weeks to prepare. 

Especially considering Greg Roman has a horrible track record with regards to the passing game. 

You cant say 'youngest to ever start a playoff game' like that should excuse a bad performance. You are only as good as your last performance tbh

the formular the chargers used was completely shutting down the running game and destroying the ravens oline - that is the recipe against every QB.

And that last part makes no sense. If a qb has 7 good games and then 1 bad, you are basing 8 games off of one game?

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah...well....that’s just like...your opinion, man. 

Well, like, I'm all like, duh. As is everyone else's here. Isn't that kind of the point of a forum like this?

1 hour ago, Danand said:

the formula the chargers used was completely shutting down the running game and destroying the ravens oline - that is the recipe against every QB.

The formula for the chargers was playing the run with DBs who have sideline to sideline speed. It was having 10 guys within 7 or 8 yards of the LOS. They had 6 or 7 DBs in the game when the ravens only had one or two WRs on the field. Normally teams would stay in their base defense against 21 personnel.

I think the bolded is what everyone keeps saying... Jackson's limitations as a passer make it easier to key on the run game. Most other QBs would 'throw teams out' of having so many guys in the box and would make it a lot easier to run after that. 

I even said that he needs to throw deep a lot early in games to keep defenses honest. He needs to make passing the ball his priority in the offseason, because he has a long way to go. 

1 hour ago, Danand said:
On 5/11/2019 at 12:20 AM, N4L said:

You cant say 'youngest to ever start a playoff game' like that should excuse a bad performance. You are only as good as your last performance tbh

And that last part makes no sense. If a qb has 7 good games and then 1 bad, you are basing 8 games off of one game?

Its cliché but its a 'what have you done for me lately' kind of league. You are only as good as the last thing you put on film. 

I am not saying that Jackson sucks, just like I don't think Jared Goff sucks because he had a bad game in the superbowl, but poor performances in the moments that matter most CAN define the player that everyone perceives you to be. 

If you don't understand what I mean, or it doesn't make any sense, then just move past it and look at the other parts of my posts. I think I am giving Jackson an unbias, objective opinion. I am not writing him off, just saying that he has issues and that it may be harder on him in year 2 than it was in year 1.