What is your opinion on Lamar Jackson and the Ravens offense?

Kiwibrown

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Also crazy that Jackson’s throwing accuracy is coming up. Last year the dude only attempted 14 passes of 21yards or more. (48% completed)

Darnold attempted 48x (21% completed)

Rosen attempted 41x (26% completed) 

Allen attempted 50x (26% completed) 

Baker attempted 51x (47% completed)

Ravens only allowed him go deep or truly throw it when the pass was there. Making the easy passes doesn’t make you a great QB or a great passer

Hmm.. that wouldn't have anything to do with Jackson only attempting 170 total passes vs 400+, would it?

Y'all need to chill out on over-analyzing the stats. The only smart answer is to wait for more data on all these QBs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Hmm.. that wouldn't have anything to do with Jackson only attempting 170 total passes vs 400+, would it?

Y'all need to chill out on over-analyzing the stats. The only smart answer is to wait for more data on all these QBs.

Now why did he only attempt 170 passes? Well Flacco only logged 56 more snaps than Jackson, but attempted 209 passes. Ravens become a rushing teams because Jackson isn’t a threat of a passer. So they lean on the rushing attack. Yeah the ravens were smart the way they handled him last year but they had to baby him because he wasn’t a threat of a passer at all  

Chargers showed it in the playoff game. When the Chargers took their foot off the pedal in the 4th the Ravens started coming back. Chargers made Jackson like complete garbage those first 3 quarters. 

13 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Chargers showed it in the playoff game. When the Chargers took their foot off the pedal in the 4th the Ravens started coming back. Chargers made Jackson like complete garbage those first 3 quarters. 

It's really amusing hearing all of these first 3 quarters against the Chargers references. Like, it's not narrow enough to form a conclusion of a 21 year old rookie based on a single performance in his first playoff game against one of the most talented defense in the league... we also need to throw out one of the 4 quarters because the Chargers weren't trying hard enough.

• Like 1

The Chargers were ranked 8/9/11/19 in points/yards/turnovers/sacks

That same D was absolutely humiliated the following week in New England.

• The only reason that New England scored 41 on them is that they felt no need to score 55+ on them
  • Not exactly the '85 Bears.

Even some of Jackson's good plays in the 4th quarter were jokes. That flutter-ball deep over the middle gets picked 7 times out of 10. The db made a terrible read on it.

4 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Jackson was a better passer statistically than if you use the eye test, mostly because his legs gave him some easy throws which is the advantage of being a good runner.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It's really amusing hearing all of these first 3 quarters against the Chargers references. Like, it's not narrow enough to form a conclusion of a 21 year old rookie based on a single performance in his first playoff game against one of the most talented defense in the league... we also need to throw out one of the 4 quarters because the Chargers weren't trying hard enough.

Well he wasn't just a little shaky the first three quarters it was probably the worst playoff performance most of us ever saw through three quarters. I think he had as many turnovers as completions going into the 4th. He was much better in the 4th and made it interesting before turning it over to end it.

46 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well he wasn't just a little shaky the first three quarters it was probably the worst playoff performance most of us ever saw through three quarters. I think he had as many turnovers as completions going into the 4th. He was much better in the 4th and made it interesting before turning it over to end it.

It was a terrible game by him and the entire offense. But still just one game. My issue is with labeling something a trend because of what happened in 3 quarters of 1 game. You all don't remember Flacco having a playoff game where he went 4/10 for 34 yards 0 TDs 1INT. That certainly wasn't a trend. He went on to have the single greatest playoff run by a QB in my lifetime and other very strong playoff outings.

Going into the specifics of what the Chargers did on defense that is supposedly a magic formula, I don't even think there was anything noteworthy there. Every single team stacked the box against Lmar going back to Cincy in his first start. The Chargers also did the extra DB thing in the week 16 game the Ravens won. You know how the Patriots wrecked that formation? By running the ball right at them. If you can get to second level running the ball and you are facing DBs instead of linebackers, that defense will fall apart. The key difference between the week 16 game and the wild card game was that the Ravens offensive line won convincingly in week 16 and lost convincingly in the wild card round. The Pats would have rolled over the Chargers without throwing a pass with how their line played.

And again, people are choosing to rule out the possibility that the Ravens change up their offense, OR Lamar Jackson improves as a player, OR that the young playmakers we finally invested in pan out and upgrade over the WR group we built completely from off-season scraps last year. Receivers are paid/drafted to improve the passing game; it's not 100% on the QB.

Edited by wackywabbit

16 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

And again, people are choosing to rule out the possibility that the Ravens change up their offense, OR Lamar Jackson improves as a player, OR that the young playmakers we finally invested in pan out and upgrade over the WR group we built completely from off-season scraps last year. Receivers are paid/drafted to improve the passing game; it's not 100% on the QB.

Sure, a lot of people are going to be more realistic than what Ravens fans will be because it is about their team. Maybe all of those things do happen and the Ravens are a powerhouse. Maybe Rosen wins MVP and the Dolphins are great. We're all just guessing what this season will hold for the Ravens offense or any other unit in the NFL. All we can go by at this time is what Jackson looked like as a passer and what has happened in the past to passers who looked similar to Jackson throwing the ball. As a Ravens fan you need success so obviously you are going to be optimistic about the possibilities and right now all possibilities are possible. Steelers fans will be optimistic that their offense doesn't miss a beat. Bengal fans will be optimistic about Mixon and Green and hopeful Dalton has a good year or is replaced. Browns fan will be optimistic that Mayfield doesn't slump or gets even better than what he showed as a rookie. It's what we do. Sure the Bengals may not be as optimistic much like the Browns fans for most of the last two decades but when there is hope you grab on to it. Jackson is exciting and there is hope there so why not go with it, I would. It doesn't make the majority wrong for questioning it. I argued Manziel could be good going into his sophomore year but I didn't get salty about those who didn't believe because there was a good chance they were right, and they were.

16 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

A rookie QB sucked in this first ever playoff game against a 12 win team?  He's clearly a sunk cost.  

In a game that his offensive line took off too. There isn’t a QB alive that would have looked good behind that line on that day. 

• Like 2

I totally understand not being sold on Lamar( I am a Ravens fan and I am not totally sold on him at all) but some takes here are so biased that some fellows just want to hate Lamar to fit their initial agenda, no matter if Lamar actually improves next season or not. It's like that typical childish behavior (I told u so). C'mon guys, you can do better than this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

In a game that his offensive line took off too. There isn’t a QB alive that would have looked good behind that line on that day. 

Chargers OL dropped the ball in Round 1, Ravens Won. Ravens OL dropped the ball in Round 2, Chargers Won.

I'm a little surprised the Chargers OL is what it is. Everyone was excited over their Feeney-Lamp double dip a couple years ago. 

On 5/19/2019 at 12:08 AM, DreamKid said:

Chargers OL dropped the ball in Round 1, Ravens Won. Ravens OL dropped the ball in Round 2, Chargers Won.

I'm a little surprised the Chargers OL is what it is. Everyone was excited over their Feeney-Lamp double dip a couple years ago. 

I still love Lamp (seriously, what happened to that guy? My favorite guard prospect of all time)