The Greatest Viking? All Hail Alan Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is5gaq-yUK4

I have attached the career highlights of the player that I believe is the greatest Viking in the history of Minnesota Vikings football!  As you watch the highlights I draw your attention to a few remarkable things:

1. Page played a lot bigger than his actual size.  I am doubtful that Page ever played above 250.  Yet, if you look at the size of his shoulder pads, and probably an oversized jersey, he appears huge.

2. He was the quickest defensive lineman I've ever seen play.  Look how often he is in the backfield terrorizing the quarterback or running back before the offense can get an additional blocker on him.  I have heard interviews with opposing defensive coordinators who said that their game plan against the Vikings was centered on double teaming Alan Page, but he was so quick that the double team efforts were more or less trying to block someone who wasn't there!  His quickness also translated into foot speed when he would chase down ball carriers from behind.

3. Page was stronger than he's given credit for.  Look at the times he uses the bull rush against a guard or center.  He's so quick to get the best leverage, but he also has the power to stand up the offensive lineman and drive him back into the backfield.

4. Make sure that you watch to the very end and take a look at his career statistics and accomplishments!  Not only to I think #88 is the greatest Viking, I think he has to be in the conversation for the greatest defensive player in the history of the NFL!  I think the only other players to be in the conversation are Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, and **** Butkus.

Edited by Guest

And what's real funny, as you sort of mentioned, he's not a big dude.  I met him in person a few years ago, he's very average in size.  Obviously, since he's older, he doesn't weigh anywhere near 250, but he's not real tall (although I'm about the same height, which some people consider pretty tall).

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And what's real funny, as you sort of mentioned, he's not a big dude.  I met him in person a few years ago, he's very average in size.  Obviously, since he's older, he doesn't weigh anywhere near 250, but he's not real tall (although I'm about the same height, which some people consider pretty tall).

I would love to meet him in person!  His life accomplishments, his intellect, his passion for education...there's so much to admire in Alan Page.

13 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I would love to meet him in person!  His life accomplishments, his intellect, his passion for education...there's so much to admire in Alan Page.

I can tell you, yes, that he's a really smart dude.  Of course, I guess that should be expected when he was sitting on the state Supreme Court at the time.  Now, I can't say he was necessarily the friendliest in person, but I can understand why, since he wasn't there to cater to me in particular.  xD  He was fine, but he was all business (since it was a corporate event for the place where my wife worked at the time down here in KS).  

Page was great. Page was not the greatest Viking. He may not have been the best player on his D-Line. Randy Moss is the greatest Viking. 

Moss was an era-defining talent. 

That said, Alan Page is my favorite Viking of all time because of what he accomplished on and off the field. He may be the finest human being the organization has ever seen. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Randy Moss is the greatest Viking. 

Ummm, no.  He may have been the most-marketable (and most talented) Viking, but he's not the greatest player.  You can't be the greatest without putting forth the greatest effort.  You watch 5 minutes of that Page video and you'll see more effort out of him than we saw in Moss' entire career.  Now, you may say that Moss made it look effortless...fine, I'll grant you that.  But, if he had put forth any significant effort over the long haul, he actually would have been a far more effective blocker than he was...and he probably would have been a lot better receiver after the age of 32, like Jerry Rice, who had 5 seasons of 1000 yds after the age of 32.  No, Randy Moss isn't the greatest Viking...he may not even be the greatest Vikings WR of all-time.  

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Randy Moss is the greatest Viking. 

umm, no.

Tarkenton retired holding every major QB passing record, and those records held for 15 years until beaten by Marino, then Favre, then P Manning. that's the company of players he was in. and Tark did it partially in an era of 14 game seasons, and several years on an awful, awful NYG team.

Moss, while freakishly skilled, did not transcend peer records of his time.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Thanks Mr @Virginia Viking.   That was a real treat to watch! It is so much fun getting to see things from back when football was still football.

One thing that stuck out to me while watching that highlight real that I didn't remember was how many of Page's hits would even be considered clean today with the QBs wearing tutus. Almost all of Page's hits were in the strike zone.  he wasn't aiming at the knees or head.  He was a very clean player.

It isn't that I ever thought of Page as dirty, but I just forgot how clean his hits were.  It probably wasn't until the 80s that the NFL really started glamorizing the viscous hits but because of that it causes me to think of the big hits from prior eras of football.  Allan Page was just flat out better than the rest of the players.  He didn't need to do anything but play and tackle the guys cleanly.

While he was amazing in aspects of the game I can't forget how he was a liability against the run at times.  You don't see that in this highlight real, but I remember the Rams taking advantage of Page a few times in the playoffs.  They used his speed upfield against him and ran right at his spot on the line during playoff games to beat the Vikings.

Still, he was indeed a great player. A real joy to watch!  Again, thanks for posting the highlight clip and sharing your thoughts!!!

18 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Page was great. Page was not the greatest Viking. He may not have been the best player on his D-Line. Randy Moss is the greatest Viking. 

That said, Alan Page is my favorite Viking of all time because of what he accomplished on and off the field. He may be the finest human being the organization has ever seen. 

I liked Moss...he was an other world talent...but he doesn't come near to what Page meant to the Vikings in the 70's.  Moss's attitude while he was a Viking kept him from being the greatest receiver of all time.  He loafed when he wasn't inspired by a call.  Page was  a 4 down player who blocked his share of place kicks and punts.  He would do anything for the team. 

I don't subscribe to "greatest Viking" rankings. Greatness is subjective based on the opinion of the person doing the ranking. Is a player great because they score touchdowns, stop their opponent from scoring, is a pillar in the community, a leader of men, forces turnovers, has charisma, or is exciting and makes splashy plays? Greatness is in the eye of the beholder, and what makes it impossible for me to separate are the different positions and roles for each player, not to mention the changes in the game over the years.

As Viking fans we have been fortunate to have witnessed many players that people consider great. I rank the players as my favorites by position. 

QB - Fran easily, but Favre's 2009 was awfully special.

RB - Adrian, Foreman, and Robert Smith.

WR -  Moss, Carter (2x), White, Washington, Rashad.

OL - Yary, Mick, McDaniel 

DL - An embarrassment of riches! Page, Eller, Marshall, Doleman, Millard, Williams (2x), Jared, Randle, I could go on...

LB - Blair, Studwell

DB - Krause, Browner, Smith, Lee, Bryant

I too was fortunate enough to have met several Viking players over the years. Chuck Foreman and Robert Smith were both polite and relatively quiet. John Randle was entertaining and funny. But I loaded groceries into Alan Page and his lovely wife's car several times in the mid-70's. They were both courteous, kind, and well spoken and made me feel like I was just as special as they. Alan Page will forever be my favorite Viking, and he and his wife two of the greatest humans I've been lucky enough to meet.

• Like 4