Why are interior OL and RTs so underrated?

JaguarCrazy2832

On 5/10/2019 at 3:43 PM, FinSting said:

I always say never take a Guard in the 1st rd then the Colts took a Guard in the 1st rd last year and proceeded to lay waste to the enemy. I love being wrong! 

On the flip side Titans went Chance Warmack, I was excited about it... yeah...

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

Still worth the pick if he would have hit though he looked like a good prospect i wouldn't have hated the pick coming out.

That's the point. When you nail an All-Pro guard with a high first selection, it can justify the pick. When the high pick doesn't pan out, however, you get a lot more criticism for the selection.

With the OL in general, I think there's limited returns with the resources spent on it. (I think the Cowboys OL spending is ridiculous)

Whether an OL dominates the defender or just puts his hat on him and effectively creates a hole or keeps the QB clean I don't think matters, or at least not spending big money trying to dominate the defender. You just have to hold him off for a few seconds. Now a more talented OL will allow less total QB pressures/hits, so you have to do the math on what a league average OL would do vs a top tier OL and see if it's worth it.  Would you rather pay 15M+ to a OT that gave up 2 sacks, and 9 pressures all year compared to an OT that gave up 7 sacks and 22 pressures all year for 8M? 

I think the top 10 OG's for 2019 in the NFL are 10M+ per year players. I don't think that's worth it compared to trying out a average vet that may fit your scheme more, or a Day 2 draft pick for a cheap 4 years.

However, when it comes to the DL, you can never dominate too much. There's no limited returns.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:45 AM, pigsooie5 said:

A lot of people questioned the Bears pick of Kyle Long at 19 because he was moved to OG. Needless to say that was one of the better selections in that draft

I always bring up this story when debating drafting interior OL in the first round.  In the 2009 draft, teams at the top of the draft took lesser talented OT than interior talent. Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith all went before Alex Mack.  Mack ended up one of the best Centers in the League and is still playing.  While those OTs were essentially busts...

I wouldn't say less important but just like RB it's that you typically have more success finding a RB or OG in the later rounds then say a QB/pass rusher/CB.

I'd say success rate of a position like RB/OG is more likely to stick then a 4th round pass rusher or CB.  

And no I don't have any numbers to back that up.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I wouldn't say less important but just like RB it's that you typically have more success finding a RB or OG in the later rounds then say a QB/pass rusher/CB.

Doesn't this also apply to WRs?  Sure, there are some real good WRs who were first round picks (and high ones at that) but there are a lot of really good WRs who were 2nd round or later picks.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

Doesn't this also apply to WRs?  Sure, there are some real good WRs who were first round picks (and high ones at that) but there are a lot of really good WRs who were 2nd round or later picks.

I would say so yes.  2nd and 3rd round are prime WR rounds IMO.

11 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

That's the point. When you nail an All-Pro guard with a high first selection, it can justify the pick. When the high pick doesn't pan out, however, you get a lot more criticism for the selection.

Only from those who are less informed on how important any good O-lineman can be.  I value every piece of the OL as highly important  C, G, and OT are all on the same level to me and honestly im starting to lean C and OG as more important because of dominating DT's are starting to become.  I can usually throw a RB or TE at something to help the OT's but when a nasty DT is coming right up the middle theirs very little you can do with no pocket to step up into and the running game is pretty much screwed with a elite run stuffing DT most the time lol. 

I think one issue as to why college guards and right tackles are valued less in the draft may be because college teams seem to play their most athletic OL at left tackle and their smartest (or next smartest if the left tackle is a sharp cookie)  OL at the center, then fill in the rest of the positions as needed.  Like you can take a college left tackle and make him a guard or a right tackle, but if you're taking a college left guard you have to wonder why they didn't have him playing one spot to the right or left.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

On 11/05/2019 at 10:43 AM, FinSting said:

I always say never take a Guard in the 1st rd then the Colts took a Guard in the 1st rd last year and proceeded to lay waste to the enemy. I love being wrong! 

He was the best guard prospect since larry allen.

On 5/12/2019 at 1:15 PM, Nastradamus said:

Positional value goes like this

QB

CB WR OT EDGE 

All players that basically play on an island with little to no help.

OGs are generally undervalued in the draft because they will have help to either side.  OCs that can move are valued higher

Everyone on the field is a chess piece that either is part of creating a TD on offense or preventing one on defense. I understand in some schemes certain positions are more valuable but everyone gets too hung up on positional value. People are great at adding unnecessary levels of difficulty to simple things.