LT Ty Sambrailo traded to Falcons for 2018 5th, Christmas comes early

Broncofan

We got a higher pick for Sambrailo than we gave up for Barbre.   Now PHI forced their own hand by announcing he was cut, but no matter how you slice it, that's a great result.

And before we think ATL is nuts, just keep in mind ATL runs the ZBS that Sambrailo is built for - we don't anymore.  So it could work out for them, but either way he was a sunk cost, so to get anything for him, and to negate the price we paid for Barbre, yeah, I'm a happy camper.  

Elway Day 2 history is his Achilles, but props to maximize what little return potential there was.   It also shows how valuable OL is seen, for a borderline talent (starter-wise) to get this return.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

The other implication - guess this keeps Schofield on the roster, unless it's Billy Turner.  I'd guess it's Schofield, only because he has G/T versatility.

That immediately came to mind when I saw this trade. I like Schofield for the mere fact he has versatility and experience. He's very limited but he's give you good effort.

1 minute ago, iLikeDefense said:

That immediately came to mind when I saw this trade. I like Schofield for the mere fact he has versatility and experience. He's very limited but he's give you good effort.

FWIW, keeping Schofield costs us 2M vs. a low-wage Sambrailo - so that's about a 1.2M difference.   Totally worth it to score a 5th in exchange.

But with us keeping JC for 1.7M more (1.45M salary & 250K roster bonus for making team) and now 1.2M more - that's 2.9M more in cost.

Which when you look at TJ Ward's salary of 4.5M vs. a rookie 500K (instead of PS) - just saying. 

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The other implication - guess this keeps Schofield on the roster, unless it's Billy Turner.  I'd guess it's Schofield, only because he has G/T versatility.

Schofield hasn't even taken many snaps with the second team offensive line in camp/preseason. I think it's Turner.

I obviously have a soft spot for Ty Sambrailo since he's a Ram like I am, but he just couldn't get it done. Frankly, I'm a little surprised he flamed out as badly as he did as he was a good player at CSU in a pro-style system. Oh well. A 5th is good, better than just cutting him and getting nothing. I wish him nothing but the best in Atlanta. 

Archived