rank the roster: 2019 edition (#9) (complete)

FinneasGage

who's the 9th best player on the packers?   

29 members have voted

1. 1. who's the 9th best player on the packers?

Is it positional value? Is it replacement depth on roster? Is it perception? Other players are viewed just that highly? Why is Corey Linsley so low for some people?

not just anyone can step in and play center. Denver had McGovern who’s been a decent starter at guard the last few years just bomb when he tried filling in at center and how Elflein did in Minnesota or Price in Cincinnati. Linsley should at least be in the discussion after Frederick, Kelce and Hudson.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Is it positional value? Is it replacement depth on roster? Is it perception? Other players are viewed just that highly? Why is Corey Linsley so low for some people?

not just anyone can step in and play center. Denver had McGovern who’s been a decent starter at guard the last few years just bomb when he tried filling in at center and how Elflein did in Minnesota or Price in Cincinnati. Linsley should at least be in the discussion after Frederick, Kelce and Hudson.

I attribute it to positional value and understand that sentiment, even though I appreciate Linsley’s reliability. I think plenty of NFL players of any position would bomb if switched to another position, especially if they were merely a “decent” starter at the other one, so don’t really see the appeal of that arguement. 

And I don’t really see it as a disrespect to Linsley that he has not won a poll yet. The players listed above him are also very good and accomplished.

I also see it as a numerical thing. If a guy is, say, a top-5 or top-7 center, that’s like top-16-22% since there are 32 of those starting slots in the league. Meanwhile, a position that has 2 or 3 starting slots has more competition for that numerical ranking, and could match the percentage ranking being a top 10-14 player at a 2-slot position or a top15-21 player at a 3-slot position. And that’s before you factor positional value from a scheme perspective.