Predict the Week 1 Roster

sp6488

A tradition unlike any other... Trying to predict the Final 53.  This may be one of the deepest rosters we've had in a while in that it seems like we have 60 or so guys who should have a roster spot.  Assuming no additional signings at this point.  If we do sign anyone additional, that will obviously change things in subsequent updates to my prediction.  Interested to see what everyone thinks we do with the roster headed into week 1.  Projected starters are bolded, rookies are italicized.

Offense (24)

QB - Lamar Jackson, RG3, Trace McSorley (3)
RB - Mark Ingram, Kenneth Dixon, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill (4)
WR - Hollywood Brown, Willie Snead, Chris Moore, Miles Boykin, Seth Roberts, Jordan Lasley (6)
TE - Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews, Nick Boyle (3)
OL - Ronnie Stanley, Jermaine Eluemunor, Matt Skura, Marshall Yanda, Orlando Brown, Ben Powers, Greg Senat, Alex Lewis, Bradley Bozeman (9)

Defense (25)

DL - Michael Pierce, Brandon Williams, Chris Wormley, Willie Henry, Zach Sieler, Daylon Mack, Gerald Willis (7)
Edge - Matthew Judon, Tyus Bowser, Tim Williams, Jaylon Ferguson (4)
ILB - Patrick Onwuasor, Kenny Young, Chris Board (3)
DB/LB - Anthony Levine (1)
CB - Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, Brandon Carr, Tavon Young, Anthony Averett, Iman Lewis-Marshall (6)
S - Earl Thomas, Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark, DeShon Elliott (4)

Special Teams (3)

K - Justin Tucker
P - Sam Koch
LS - Morgan Cox

Most difficult cuts: James Hurst, Jaleel Scott, Maurice Canady, Cyrus Jones, Justin Bethel

Trace McSorley and Chris Board have the most vulnerable spots based on the depth chart above, IMO

Offense (23)

QB: Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin III, Trace McSorley
RB: Mark Ingram II, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill
TE: Nick Boyle, Mark Andrews, Hayden Hurst
WR: Miles Boykin, Chris Moore
WR: Marquise Brown, Seth Roberts
WR: Willie Snead IV
LT: Ronnie Stanley, Jermaine Eluemunor
LG: Ben Powers, Patrick Mekari
C: Matt Skura, Bradley Bozeman
RG: Marshal Yanda
RT: Orlando Brown Jr., James Hurst

Defense (27)

DT: Michael Pierce, Willie Henry
NT: Brandon Williams, Daylon Mack
DE: Patrick Ricard, Chris Wormley, Zach Sieler
RLB: Pernell McPhee, Tim Williams, Jaylon Ferguson
MLB: Patrick Onwuasor, Kenny Young
WLB: Chris Board, Anthony Levine
SLB: Matthew Judon, Tyus Bowser
LCB: Marlon Humphrey, Brandon Carr, Iman Marshall
RCB: Jimmy Smith, Anthony Averett, Cyrus Jones, Justin Bethel
FS: Earl Thomas III, DeShon Elliott
SS: Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark

Special Teams (3)

K: Justin Tucker
P: Sam Koch
LS: Morgan Cox

IR: Gerald Willis, Tavon Young

Practice Squad: Antoine Wesley
Edited by BareYourTeeth

4 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

$1 million in dead money.

Not sure if that's the worst thing in the world if it comes to that.  Basically I would view that as an insurance policy in case we weren't able to get a receiver (or two) that we wanted in the draft.  He allowed us to some degree to not reach if the board didn't fall in our favor.

45 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

James Hurst

Hurst/Lewis was one of the tougher decisions IMO.  Ultimately, I determined that carrying 9 OL minimizes his value from versatility somewhat (even though you can carry less linemen on game day, I guess).  Additionally, cutting him would save $1MM on the cap this year (and help future years).  Finally, if Alex Lewis contributes at all or shows some value at guard or as a fill-in, then he may help us with the 2021 draft comp pick formula as this is his walk year.

Hopefully, if we aren't facing injuries ourselves, some team will value his versatility and send us something of value (even a conditional 7th rounder) for Hurst.  With his guarantees cleared out, his contract would actually be pretty good if a team views him as a 6th linemen/starter out of necessity.

Offense (24)

QB: Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin III, Trace McSorley

RB: Mark Ingram II, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill

XWR: Marquise Brown, Seth Roberts

ZWR: Chris Moore, Jordan Lasley, Jaleel Scott

SLWR: Willie Snead IV

TE: Nicks Boyle, Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews

LT: Ronnie Stanley, Jermaine Eluemunor

LG: James HurstBen Powers

C: Bradley Bozeman, Matt Skura

RG: Marshal Yanda, Alex Lewis

RT: Orlando Brown

Defense (26)

DE: Chris Wormley, Willie Henry, Zach Sieler

NT: Brandon WilliamsDaylon Mack

DT: Michael PierceGerald Willis

RUSH: Tyus Bowser, Jaylon Ferguson

MIKE: Patrick Onwuasor, Chris Board

WILL: Kenny Young, Anthony Levine

SAM: Matthew Judon, Tim Williams

RCB: Jimmy Smith, Tavon Young, Justin Bethel, Iman Marshall 

LCB: Marlon Humphrey, Brandon Carr, Anthony Averett

FS: Earl Thomas III, DeShon Elliott

SS: Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark

Special Teams (3)

K: Justin Tucker

P: Sam Koch

LS: Morgan Cox

It wouldn’t be an offseason without a proper redshirt. This year my candidate for that would be Mike Boykin. Talented and explosive player that seemingly adjusted slowly in college, perhaps the same will be true of the NFL level. He has redshirt candidate written all over him.

I can’t see us retaining Kenneth Dixon over much more valuable options. Dixon would be our 4th runner, he’s had a history, and only has one more year left on his deal. He does elsewhere after preseason.

As I noted in the post-draft Ravens roster thread, I don't see the Ravens only carrying 3 ILB or 3 TEs. If you need 2 starting players for each position, you can't go into a season with 1 backup, that would be extremely negligent. Plus, TEs and ILBs are the best special teams players (especially for punts). 

13 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

As I noted in the post-draft Ravens roster thread, I don't see the Ravens only carrying 3 ILB or 3 TEs. If you need 2 starting players for each position, you can't go into a season with 1 backup, that would be extremely negligent. Plus, TEs and ILBs are the best special teams players (especially for punts). 

Bro im so sure we've carried 3 tight ends and 3 inside linebackers for many years now. Especially since 2 of our tight ends are 2nd year players and we just resigned Boyle. The same can mostly be said for ILB. Kenny is in year 2 and Pnut is on his rookie deal. You dont see us carrying a 3rd? Also why are you saying TE's are so great on special teams? If anything our corners and recievers have been big dogs on ST, Chris Moore, Tavon, Bethel, and in the past we had Webb and Reed, torrey smith, idk about tight ends.

6 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I’m sure we’ll have a talented TE on the practice squad that we utilize as our 4th TE. Our offense is flexible enough that if two TEs were to go down in game we could revert to a spread system with only 1 TE. Then we’d have a backup TE on the practice squad that we could bump up. Same with ILB. No reason to have more than 3 when there’s limited snaps to go around. Lastly, Levine is essentially our 4th ILB and in the event of emergency would surely use him there.

15 hours ago, aDandyGuyInSpace said:

Bro im so sure we've carried 3 tight ends and 3 inside linebackers for many years now. Especially since 2 of our tight ends are 2nd year players and we just resigned Boyle. The same can mostly be said for ILB. Kenny is in year 2 and Pnut is on his rookie deal. You dont see us carrying a 3rd? Also why are you saying TE's are so great on special teams? If anything our corners and recievers have been big dogs on ST, Chris Moore, Tavon, Bethel, and in the past we had Webb and Reed, torrey smith, idk about tight ends.

Bro the offense with Lamar Jackson at QB will be using different personnel than in previous years. 

Regarding special teams, yes the gunners are usually WR, but the rest of the punt team needs to be able to 1) block, 2) run, and 3) tackle. 

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m sure we’ll have a talented TE on the practice squad that we utilize as our 4th TE. Our offense is flexible enough that if two TEs were to go down in game we could revert to a spread system with only 1 TE. Then we’d have a backup TE on the practice squad that we could bump up. Same with ILB. No reason to have more than 3 when there’s limited snaps to go around. Lastly, Levine is essentially our 4th ILB and in the event of emergency would surely use him there.

I don't really agree that Levine is a LB. When you put a DB in place of a LB, its called nickel. He weighs 207 lbs. There's no way he can be expected to shed OL blocks.