Predict the Week 1 Roster

sp6488

Nickel is the base defense these days and is used upwards of 60% of the time by all NFL teams.  In fact we had 4 CBs that basically received at least 60% of defensive snaps.  I don't think using the 4th ILB spot on a DB/LB hybrid is that big of a deal

• Like 2

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

Nickel is the base defense these days and is used upwards of 60% of the time by all NFL teams.  In fact we had 4 CBs that basically received at least 60% of defensive snaps.  I don't think using the 4th ILB spot on a DB/LB hybrid is that big of a deal

Fair enough. It wouldn't surprise me if the Ravens add another TE and ILB to the roster once other teams start cutting players during training camp, but we shall see what transpires. 

12 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Bro the offense with Lamar Jackson at QB will be using different personnel than in previous years. 

Regarding special teams, yes the gunners are usually WR, but the rest of the punt team needs to be able to 1) block, 2) run, and 3) tackle. 

Yea our offense is gonna have a strong running element, which will likely involve tight ends right? Do you think Romans offense will be built with just 2 players at that position? Especially considering Lamar's connection with Andrews last season. It just seems like likely to me they carry 3 when you factor in 2 rookie deals, 2 high round rookie deals at that, and Boyles contract.

5 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Fair enough. It wouldn't surprise me if the Ravens add another TE and ILB to the roster once other teams start cutting players during training camp, but we shall see what transpires. 

Me either but I don't think it's a given we keep 4 TEs on the 53 because we did it last year or because of what our offense looked like last year

Yeah. The Ravens kept four tight ends on the roster last season because those four tight ends were Nick Boyle, Mark Andrews, Hayden Hurst, and Maxx Williams. No 4th tight end on the roster currently has anywhere near the investment made by the team nor upside of the latter guy who's no longer in Baltimore. You can't just keep a guy at the position just to keep a guy at the position when we're talking about that spot on the depth chart. They actually have to be good. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I don't really agree that Levine is a LB. When you put a DB in place of a LB, its called nickel. He weighs 207 lbs. There's no way he can be expected to shed OL blocks. 

We utilized that many tight ends because of:

1) Investment in the position with Hurst (1st), Williams (2nd), Andrews (3rd), and Boyle (5th).

2) The talent of the position as Boyle was highly regarded around the league, Hurst was a 1st round pick, and Andrews just set the Ravens rookie receiving record by a TE. Maxx was also a quality H-back when healthy.

3. Lack of talent at other key offensive skills positions kept spots from the TE slot from fulfilling them.

So as alluded to these factors are no longer the case. The investment portion favors 3 TEs as that’s what our draft capital has supplied for that position.

What’s more the receiver position received so much attention the past two drafts, no way we add a scrub TE to our class over giving a receiver the proper time to develop.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

We utilized that many tight ends because of:

1) Investment in the position with Hurst (1st), Williams (2nd), Andrews (3rd), and Boyle (5th).

2) The talent of the position as Boyle was highly regarded around the league, Hurst was a 1st round pick, and Andrews just set the Ravens rookie receiving record by a TE. Maxx was also a quality H-back when healthy.

3. Lack of talent at other key offensive skills positions kept spots from the TE slot from fulfilling them.

So as alluded to these factors are no longer the case. The investment portion favors 3 TEs as that’s what our draft capital has supplied for that position.

What’s more the receiver position received so much attention the past two drafts, no way we add a scrub TE to our class over giving a receiver the proper time to develop.

Like I said, when other teams make their cuts, we shall see. I never advocated adding a scrub TE, don't know why you are bringing that up. Sometimes a solid vet gets cut due to salary/depth. 

13 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah. The Ravens kept four tight ends on the roster last season because those four tight ends were Nick Boyle, Mark Andrews, Hayden Hurst, and Maxx Williams. No 4th tight end on the roster currently has anywhere near the investment made by the team nor upside of the latter guy who's no longer in Baltimore. You can't just keep a guy at the position just to keep a guy at the position when we're talking about that spot on the depth chart. They actually have to be good. 

Uh Maxx signed a 1-year $800,000 dollar contract. Some upside. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Uh Maxx signed a 1-year $800,000 dollar contract. Some upside. 

I think he was referring to our tight end group as a whole. We don't have anyone with high upside stashed away on IR or PS. Maxx was utilized because of special teams, blocking skills and overall versatility. That they didn't sign him to that contract would to me indicate that they are certainly not trying to force a 4th tight end on the roster, as what Maxx brings is exactly what you want in a 4th on the depth chart tight end.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I think he was referring to our tight end group as a whole. We don't have anyone with high upside stashed away on IR or PS. Maxx was utilized because of special teams, blocking skills and overall versatility. That they didn't sign him to that contract would to me indicate that they are certainly not trying to force a 4th tight end on the roster, as what Maxx brings is exactly what you want in a 4th on the depth chart tight end.

Okay, we shall see. I think one of the most effective personnel groupings the Ravens could run is 1 RB, 3 TEs, and 1 WR (Hollywood Brown). I would like to see them playing 3 TEs on the field quite often, but you can't really plan on doing that with only 3 TEs on the roster because what are the odds that all 3 stay healthy all year?  

7 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Okay, we shall see. I think one of the most effective personnel groupings the Ravens could run is 1 RB, 3 TEs, and 1 WR (Hollywood Brown). I would like to see them playing 3 TEs on the field quite often, but you can't really plan on doing that with only 3 TEs on the roster because what are the odds that all 3 stay healthy all year?  

With the 3 tight ends we have I agree that would be a nice combination to employ on the field. I was in the "draft Hockenson if he is there" camp, because I think we could use 3 tight ends on the field often, where both Hurst and Andrews can work as the big slot options with a big catch radius which many thought we should draft.

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

what_year_is_it.jpg

• Like 1

I can't see the ravens keeping Jermaine Eluemenor over James Hurst like some of you have predicted...James has proven he can play at a good level and has positional diversity.

Eluemenor has been a disaster every time he's been on the field, and was even cut at some point last year iirc

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I can't see the ravens keeping Jermaine Eluemenor over James Hurst like some of you have predicted...James has proven he can play at a good level and has positional diversity.

Eluemenor has been a disaster every time he's been on the field, and was even cut at some point last year iirc

he played well when he took over from Stanley last year, he is also a cheaper option

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

37 minutes ago, Danand said:

he played well when he took over from Stanley last year, he is also a cheaper option

Yea, as Dan said Eluemunor's stock went way up last year. He proved he could be a competent/capable backup LT. The team is high on him, stating as much in interviews.