RCB: Jimmy Smith, Tavon Young, Justin Bethel, Iman Marshall 

LCB: Marlon Humphrey, Brandon Carr, Anthony Averett

FS: Earl Thomas III, DeShon Elliott

SS: Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark

Special Teams (3)

K: Justin Tucker

P: Sam Koch

LS: Morgan Cox

* Miles Boykin gets the redshirt injury, the writing is on the wall.

* Kenneth Dixon is either released or traded for a conditional 7th.

* Pernell McPhee gets cut, but stays near the team as the veteran that if an injury occurs to our depth, he’s the first call, first sign.

* Daylon Mack starts off the season on the IR as a potential redshirt. This allows Baltimore to keep Gerald Willis on the roster and keep our UDFA streak alive.

Updated.

The team keeps Willie Henry to see if he doesn’t have a crazy year and raise his return value into a 3rd/4th round comp.

Edited by diamondbull424

I like it. I wonder if we are overevaluating the potential of Greg Senat, but I could somehow see a Jermaine Eluemunor being dangled out there as a potential trade option to a team who needs a backup LT, like the Redskins for instance.

Do we usually keep 9 offensive linemen, or are you hoping Alex Lewis can take over for Yanda at some point?

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I wonder if we are overevaluating the potential of Greg Senat,

It's hard to know at this point. Definitely one of the more interesting preseason figures on the team. 3 years left of Rookie contract control gives him a strong chip in his corner. Eluemanor has been running with the 1s at LG, splitting time with Hurst. Joe D is trying to drag everything out of him he can I guess.

Every year we seem to have more NFL roster caliber guys than we can fit on the 53-man, but this year seems more extreme than ever (IMHO, of course). A lot of this will likely be sorted out by injuries in camp/preseason, but we definitely have a few guys who could be dealt to other teams for late round picks or other roster pieces.  Let me be clear, I don't think we will be able to get compensation for all of our potential cuts, nor do I think it will be particularly eye-popping, but I would love to see EDC pick up some draft ammo for at least one or two guys who won't make the team. Listing top-5 most likely candidates below (order is not specific):

1. Kaare Vedvik, PK/P - There was speculation last year that a team could deal for him before his unfortunate, bizarre injury situation.  I could definitely see a team parting with a day-3 pick to solidify their ST if he balls out again this preseason.  Teams like the Cowboys or Bears (who aren't particularly high on the waiver order) could definitely be interested in such a trade.

2. Kenneth Dixon, RB - I like Dixon, but the signing of Ingram, the drafting of Hill and the presence of Gus Edwards put his roster spot in danger, particularly in the final year of his rookie deal.  I don't think the team will cut him, but I think he could be pried away via trade if another team has early injuries.  DeLance Turner could slide into the 4th RB spot should they wish to carry another.

3. Seth Roberts, WR - As I mentioned in another thread, I see Roberts as an insurance policy.  If we jettison him now, we would still be on the hook for $1MM of his $2MM deal.  That's a small price to pay for a bit of peace of mind at the position before we knew Hollywood and Boykin would be Ravens.  A team that loses a #2 or #3 could definitely be interested, particularly since his cap number will easily fit for just about any team.  I would seriously doubt he'd garner more than a conditional pick, but still someone who could garner interest. That said, there are likely street options at the position that are better than the two positions above.

4. Maurice Canady, CB - We seems to have an embarrassment of riches at the CB position.  Canady has played some very competent corner when given the shot (definitely outplaying his 6th round pedigree), but injuries and great options in front of him have largely kept him off the field.  Being in the final year of rookie control is what may do him in (behind Averett, Bethel and Iman Marshall-who I think will be IR stash), but I definitely think there might be teams out there who would be interested in a 6-1, 200lb 25 y.o. corner with decent NFL tape. 

5. James Hurst, OT/OG - Yes, I know... why would anyone trade for James Hurst? Well, The Baltimore Ravens traded a conditional 2018 seventh-round draft pick to the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for freakin' G/C Tony Bergstrom in early 2017 in an attempt to bolster their line depth.  Hurst has experience and ability to play all over the line and seems to be a good team guy.  Honestly, he's not the worst player to carry for depth as he can play 4/5 spots in a pinch (thus reducing the amount of OL you may need active on gameday).  His salaries are reasonable for a fringe starter ($3.5MM in 2019 and $4MM in 2020/21) and the Ravens would save $1MM by moving on from him this year (less than that effectively because he would be replaced on the roster). The biggest inhibitor to a deal here is that he's not the type of guy a competitive team is necessarily looking to add.  He'd probably be a good fit for a team like Arizona, but I'm sure they would prefer to see what's available on the waiver wire rather than trade future assets.

Dark Horse: Brandon Carr, CB - I seriously doubt this happens as it would seem silly to weaken our CB core, BUT his salary numbers are very cheap for 2019 and 2020 (4.5MM base in each) relative to other starting-caliber corners and he would fit nicely into the salary structure of a team that thinks they are a competitor should they lose a significant piece in the secondary.  Again, I doubt this would happen nor do I really want it to, but his ability to fit into a team's cap sans extension could lure a desperate team into making a very nice draft pick offer.

Edited by sp6488

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Seth Roberts, WR 

Brandon Carr, CB

Right now I'm assuming the only WRs who will definitely make the team are Hollywood Brown, Chris Moore, and Boykin (who could go on IR). Everyone else (including Willie Snead) are competing for a roster spot. 

There's just no way the Ravens get rid of Carr, I can't fathom why the Ravens would be willing to give up such a valuable and cheap player. 

Actually I think Anthony Levine could be traded or possibly. He's not a crucial defensive player (on played in 1/4 of defensive snaps), and can fill in on special teams. He obviously knows the defense, but his limited tools mean other DBs may be able to overtake him on the depth chart if they play well. I know Harbaugh likes guys like Levine, but if Belichick or another smart coach needs a DB, Levine is both useful and expendable to the Ravens.   

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Right now I'm assuming the only WRs who will definitely make the team are Hollywood Brown, Chris Moore, and Boykin (who could go on IR). Everyone else (including Willie Snead) are competing for a roster spot. 

There's just no way the Ravens get rid of Carr, I can't fathom why the Ravens would be willing to give up such a valuable and cheap player. 

Actually I think Anthony Levine could be traded or possibly. He's not a crucial defensive player (on played in 1/4 of defensive snaps), and can fill in on special teams. He obviously knows the defense, but his limited tools mean other DBs may be able to overtake him on the depth chart if they play well. I know Harbaugh likes guys like Levine, but if Belichick or another smart coach needs a DB, Levine is both useful and expendable to the Ravens.   

Why is Willie Snead competing for a roster spot? He was clearly the WR on the roster last year Lamar had best chemistry with, and was the receiver who played his best late last season. He is cheap as well and the most obvious veteran in that receiving room.

9 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think Levine is completely safe.  Also, I'm pretty sure that Ken McKusick would quit his Raven fandom if that happened.

20 hours ago, Danand said:

Why is Willie Snead competing for a roster spot? He was clearly the WR on the roster last year Lamar had best chemistry with, and was the receiver who played his best late last season. He is cheap as well and the most obvious veteran in that receiving room.

He's just so slow. We have 2 good TEs who are about as fast as Snead, but much better blockers. I think Seth Roberts could be a more useful player because he can play inside and outside. Snead can only play inside, but he isn't quick like most slot players. 

I think he had chemistry with Lamar because he ran routes over the middle, and that's pretty much the only area Lamar was throwing the ball with much accuracy last year. 

I think it's a good thing for guys having to compete for a roster spot. We have some young WRs, if they outperform Snead I would consider giving them the roster spot. 

8 hours ago, berlin calling said:

i'm really wondering why so many on here see Boykin as an IR candidate when Brown is the biggest unknown yet. If he aggravates his injury he easily could (should) be shut down for the season to rehab and bulk up reasonably. 

I think because Hollywood Brown will be an integral part of the Ravens offense if healthy, whereas Boykin is more of a project who is a physical specimen but needs refinement. 

Brown's elite speed will be immediately useful. It remains to be seen how ready Boykin is to contribute to an NFL offense. 

13 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I think Levine is completely safe.  Also, I'm pretty sure that Ken McKusick would quit his Raven fandom if that happened.

Okay, I'm not aware of other opinions of Levine. My observation is the Ravens have 4 good safeties (2 vets and 2 rising young players), and a glut of CB talent (4 studs plus young talent). Plus Bethel. If one of the UDFA ILBs flashes, I don't really see the point of keeping Levine given his age. 

On 6/15/2019 at 3:43 PM, Danand said:

I like it. I wonder if we are overevaluating the potential of Greg Senat, but I could somehow see a Jermaine Eluemunor being dangled out there as a potential trade option to a team who needs a backup LT, like the Redskins for instance.

Do we usually keep 9 offensive linemen, or are you hoping Alex Lewis can take over for Yanda at some point?

I think our OL has been decimated by injuries a little too much for my liking the past couple seasons. We’ve had some durability concerns there and so I could see the team carrying 9 for that reason. To insulate us from those injury concerns.

If we did get rid of a lineman, I think it would be trying to find a trade partner for someone that would take on Alex Lewis for a conditional late round pick. But all the other lineman either have proven too much to get rid of or are too young to not move forward with. Trading Lewis however would still leave me with creating space for Senat instead. If he can develop some it would also give us contract leverage against Stanley come time for negotiations.