FF Vikings Dynasty League - Discussion

Klomp

The league has been created and most everyone has joined. This thread will be the league hub here on FootballsFuture.

Have people gotten a chance to look over the league scoring settings on the site? Is there anything glaring that needs to be addressed/put to a vote?

Once the settings are all good, I guess next on the list is to set up a draft. Since this is a dynasty league, we'll probably start out with a rookie draft (though that's up for discussion as well). That could probably start at any time, so just be on the lookout for updates. I'll try to tag everyone when we have major announcements or things that need to be addressed, but otherwise it'll be up to you guys to be active and paying attention to this league, both here and on Sleeper. Remember, this will be a year-round league. 

Start-up draft: https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/432294690700660736

2019 Draft: https://sleeper.app/draft/nfl/443874107990208512

Edited by Klomp

I'm here. Ready to draft.

Although, we should 100% start with the start-up draft with non-rookies then do a rookie draft after the start-up draft. I'd rather draft rookies to supplement a roster than to start one. 

First year would probably need to be randomized rookie draft order and moving forward, it'd be like the NFL draft with the worst teams picking first.

3 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Although, we should 100% start with the start-up draft with non-rookies then do a rookie draft after the start-up draft. I'd rather draft rookies to supplement a roster than to start one. 

First year would probably need to be randomized rookie draft order and moving forward, it'd be like the NFL draft with the worst teams picking first.

I've never been involved in the beginning stages of a startup dynasty, so I don't really know what the norm is. The other option is that we just do one draft with both vets and rookies this year to get us started.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

I've never been involved in the beginning stages of a startup dynasty, so I don't really know what the norm is. The other option is that we just do one draft with both vets and rookies this year to get us started.

There's a few different ways to do it.

1. Start-up draft then separate rookie draft. Rookie draft order decided by randomizing (my choice)

2. Start-up draft then separate rookie draft. Rookie draft picks are selected in the start-up draft (a little more work)

3. Start-up draft where vets & rookies are to be drafted. (my #2 choice)

The upside about #1 is that you get to do two drafts during the boring time of the NFL off-season and can trade draft picks for a week or two before the rookie draft.

Downside about #2 is that you have to keep track of the draft picks (A team would have to select a random player out of the league and declare he represents pick 1.6)

Upside about #3 is you'll have a slightly better FA pool and you get things done quicker.

Based on experience of doing off-line drafts, we're looking at 3-5 days to do 24 rounds. About 2-3 days to do a 5 round rookie draft.

Im sooo new to this. How many years does a dynasty league last (apologies if a dumb question). I’m sure I’ll have many more questions as we get going. Anywho, this sounds fun and should add some excitement this year and many (?) years to come. Good luck everyone!

29 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Im sooo new to this. How many years does a dynasty league last (apologies if a dumb question). I’m sure I’ll have many more questions as we get going. Anywho, this sounds fun and should add some excitement this year and many (?) years to come. Good luck everyone!

You're certainly not the only one.  I'm fine with doing any of the methods, but #1 does sound like the best option.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

I've been in a dynasty league dating back to 2009.

I've been in a dynasty league that made it one season.

They go on as long as the league lasts. If an owners quits/becomes inactive, you replace him and find someone to take over the team

Empire leagues are leagues operated exactly like dynasty leagues but in Empire, if a team wins back-to-back championships, the league begins anew and there's a total re-draft of rosters. Say the entry fee per season is $50....$25 of that goes into the yearly pot and $25 goes into the Empire pot. The yearly pot goes to that years winner. If a team goes back-to-back, they get the empire pot which has been building up.

When our empire pot hit, the winner got $600 from the season pot & $3,600 from the empire pot (6 years worth of $100 buy-in's.)

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1

✔'ed  in.

I'm good with option 1...how ever why would the rookie draft be randomized and not in the reverse order of the start up draft? In theory, a team(s) could get the top pick(s) in both drafts.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

✔'ed  in.

I'm good with option 1...how ever why would the rookie draft be randomized and not in the reverse order of the start up draft? In theory, a team(s) could get the top pick(s) in both drafts.

Because some think the #1 pick in fantasy sucks to have. If you're picking 1st, sure you get the best player but you have to wait 23 picks until their second pick while the #12 team gets two of the top 13 players.

So the #12 team not only gets two top-13 players in the main draft but also two top-13 players in the rookie draft since they get the 1st pick in ALL rounds which puts them at a huge advantage right from the get go.That's not even considering trade value of the 1st overall pick in the rookie draft. If they package the #1 with another player or pick, then they have a dynasty on their hands and they're laughing their way to titles.

Then with the #1 pick in the main and #12 in the rookie, you get the #12 pick and have to wait 12 more picks to select again which screws them because it's not a snake draft. It's linear like the NFL draft. Also, teams in the middle are kinda boned as well. If you get the 6th pick....you're kinda screwed out of the top-5 players in both drafts.

If you randomize, it gives everyone a chance at the #1 pick in the rookie draft. Sure, you can repeat #1's but at least it gives everyone a fair shot at the top pick. You don't want one roll of the dice giving a team a massive advantage or disadvantage. It's not like we do this all over again next year. You're potentially setting a team or two up for success and failure for years to come.

If you wanted to reverse order, then you'd have to also do a snake rookie draft which is fine as well.

I just like the thought of giving people equal chances at a good pick in both drafts. It's the 2nd most fair way to do it outside of drafting picks.

@HeydudemanG and @KingVi,

One of you hasn't yet joined the league on Sleeper and one hasn't really checked in yet past showing your initial interest. In order to keep this league active and going at a decent pace, I'll give you one more week maximum to join the league as an active member, otherwise I'll move on to the next interested party. I get back from vacation next Tuesday, and would send out the invite(s) to the next person(s) at that time.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

@HeydudemanG and @KingVi,

One of you hasn't yet joined the league on Sleeper and one hasn't really checked in yet past showing your initial interest. In order to keep this league active and going at a decent pace, I'll give you one more week maximum to join the league as an active member, otherwise I'll move on to the next interested party. I get back from vacation next Tuesday, and would send out the invite(s) to the next person(s) at that time.

I'm in, thanks for the nudge. 

So I think the consensus seems to be two separate drafts, but how/when do we want to do them? Do we want to get it done at once and set up one night for each draft, or should we slow play it and do an offline-style draft with less-stringent time limits? I think it'd be tough to coordinate our schedules to pick one night everyone can agree on, so I wouldn't mind doing offline style, but that will require starting much earlier and would add some injury risk. But does that matter as much in dynasty?

4 hours ago, Klomp said:

So I think the consensus seems to be two separate drafts, but how/when do we want to do them? Do we want to get it done at once and set up one night for each draft, or should we slow play it and do an offline-style draft with less-stringent time limits? I think it'd be tough to coordinate our schedules to pick one night everyone can agree on, so I wouldn't mind doing offline style, but that will require starting much earlier and would add some injury risk. But does that matter as much in dynasty?

I vote offline.

24 rounds is going to be an absolute chore to finish in one sitting and getting everyone together for 3-4 hours will be a pain.

An offline start-up draft will take around 5 days to finish....7 days MAX if we impose an 8 hour time limit (clock doesn't run from 11pm-8am so people can sleep and not have to worry). If everyone is prepared and has a list of a few players to draft if their pick is coming up, 8 hours should be PLENTY of time throughout the day to pick someone during a poop break or during lunch at work.

Like I said in an earlier post, my league's 25 round start-up took 3.5 days. The app we're using makes drafting so utterly simple that you can log-in on your phone, look at your queue, and make your pick within a minute. The longest time between picks (besides non-sleeping hours) was 4.75 hours. We had periods where we finished 2-3 rounds in a couple hours (usually a weekday night from like 6-9pm)

There's no making your pick on the message board then waiting for Klomp to read it then him having to input it into the league. Sleeper is built to handle off-line drafts where you can make the pick yourself and you have a list of 2,000 players right in front of you.

The rookie draft (5 rounds) will take a couple days at most. 

As for when we start, leagues have been drafting since the Super Bowl ended. It's fun to do it during the doldrums of the off-season. Injuries are going to happen regardless if it's in August or September so they really don't worry me. Just gotta draft the best players you can and hope for the best.

I'd also vote on seeing the rookie draft be held a week after the main draft to allow trading of draft picks (which is very fun).

Say we start the draft on Mon. June 3rd (random date).....if you randomize the draft on June 1(or sooner), that gives teams 2-3 days to prepare for the draft which makes for quicker drafting. It'll take 30 mins to an hour to set up your queue before the draft with 20+ players and it pays to have 5 or more players on it at all times to make quick picks.