Ravens 2017 Roster Cutdown

coordinator0

Current roster:

QB: Joe Flacco / Ryan Mallett / Josh Woodrum

RB: Terrance West / Danny Woodhead / Javorius Allen / Taquan Mizzell

FB: Ricky Ortiz

WR: Jeremy Maclin / Mike Wallace / Breshad Perriman / Chris Moore / Michael Campanaro / Chris Matthews / Quincy Adeboyejo

TE: Nick Boyle / Maxx Williams / Benjamin Watson / Vince Mayle / Ryan Malleck

OT: Ronnie Stanley / Austin Howard / Stephane Nembot

OG: Marshal Yanda / James Hurst / Jermaine Eluemunor / Maurquice Shakir

C: Ryan Jensen / Tony Bergstrom / Matt Skura 

DL: Brandon Williams / Michael Pierce / Brent Urban / Chris Wormley / Bronson Kaufusi / Carl Davis / Willie Henry / Patrick Ricard

OLB: Terrell Suggs / Matt Judon / Tyus Bowser / Tim Williams / Za'Darius Smith / Brennen Beyer

ILB: C.J. Mosley / Kamalei Correa / Patrick Onwuasor / Donald Payne / Bam Bradley / Boseko Lokombo

CB: Jimmy Smith / Brandon Carr / Marlon Humphrey / Maurice Canady / Brandon Boykin / Sheldon Price / Robertson Daniel / Jaylen Hill / Reggie Porter

S: Eric Weddle / Tony Jefferson / Lardarius Webb / Anthony Levine / Chuck Clark

K: Justin Tucker

P: Sam Koch

LS: Morgan Cox

Apparently Beyer hasn't been cut yet like Hensley mentioned in his blog post, so 14 more moves need to be made. I'm sure he will be one of them though.

That would make the depth at tackle funky. Hurst is probably starting at left guard, but he would be the only backup tackle on the roster is Nembot got cut. Bergstrom might be able to slide out there but I think he's being looked at as an interior player. I think there's a decent chance of the Ravens bringing in another tackle and cutting Nembot, but he's the right tackle depth needed right now. Yanda could slide out there I guess but like I said before it would be a strange depth chart with a lot of maneuvering needed if/when injuries hit. 

9 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah, he's fighting with Payne for a roster spot. Woodrum, Mizzell, Matthews, Adeboyejo, and maybe Skura are competing at their position groups too. I think the rest are fairly easy to expect though. So of course there will be a big surprise or two. xD

I think Bam Bradley might be in that group as well.

9 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I think Bam Bradley might be in that group as well.

That's who I was referring to at the beginning fighting with Payne for a roster spot. The latter is somewhat similar to Onwuasor so Bradley might have an advantage for defensive purposes, but I think I might prefer the former for special teams. I'm good either way.

Mizzell gets cut in favor of Allen. I'm not particularly surprised, both backs look like they're only useful as receivers and Javorius is a better one. He also has some special teams value. But Allen could get cut soon in favor of another back being brought in.

Ortiz is gone which means no true fullback. Sounds good to me. I think the Ravens have gotten themselves in trouble trying to line up in the traditional I-form too much. Makes them fairly predictable and easy to cover whether it's a run, pass, or play-action. Doesn't cut it in this era of offense. It will be interested to see Ricard's snaps there though.

Five receivers it is. I'm glad they kept Moore over Matthews. Zrebiec was hinting that it might have been the other way around. I'm not a huge fan of Moore but at least he has upside.

Mayle makes it as the fourth tight end... or more likely as a special teams player. Not sure what his role on offense would be especially so soon after transitioning there from wide receiver.

Lets not talk about the offensive line.

All eight defensive linemen made the team which is nice. Ricard isn't purely a defensive lineman though so that probably helped.

Bradley over Payne it is. Not a big surprise, although I hope they get the latter back on the practice squad. He might be one of the first signed from it during the season to cover for an injured special teams guy.

Hill and Price made the roster. Canady will likely go on IR soon so he's eligible to return during the season. Should be room for at least one addition.

I think the Ravens will bring in another back. Right now West is the only guy on the roster who can run the ball. Woodhead and Allen are both receiving options. That could be the move made with the roster spot opened up by putting anady on IR. Not sure there's another obvious cut unless it involves some more OL shuffling. 

Archived