Mark Murphy must go!!

Slinky

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Disagree on the assessment of Free Agency. It wasn't that we were desperate, it was that for the first time in a long *** time, we actually had some cap space free. 

Additionally: draft classes not worth resigning.

Well, not additionally I suppose, but due to.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:02 PM, Slinky said:

And no trolling here. How am I trolling? Murphy is a meddler who doesn't let others do their jobs. Huge power tripper. Don't be so blind, people. 

Citing a clickbait article isn't the proof.  I believe it was Demovsky who said that during the interview process that LaFleur gave a list of potential coaches INCLUDING Mike Pettine. Not that he was dictated that he had to have Pettine as his DC.

11 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I’ve never been that bothered about the way Mark Murphy runs things, and I’ve never considered him a power-grabber. the only minor gripe i had with him was the sudden way he fired MM, right after a game, leaving McCarthy no time to say goodbye or anything. Too abrupt imo, for a guy who had been head coach for 13 years.

That's a sentimental feeling.  Nothing more.  The Packers laid an EGG.  And I honestly don't feel that's accurate description.  Arizona won 3 games last year, two of which came against San Francisco who won 4 games themselves.  Arizona was garbage this year, and the Packers lost.  Heads absolutely needed to roll.  The Packers did what was best for them.

Gute is a scout and talent evaluator. He’s experienced, trusted and proven at it. He has the absolute final decision on who he drafts or signs. 

He doesn’t have as many side responsibilities as Thompson had. 

If anything, this sets Gute up for success because he has all of his time dedicated to the draft and to the roster overall. He gets more time with his scouting team, more time to travel and see players and more time to watch tape. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's a sentimental feeling.  Nothing more.  The Packers laid an EGG.  And I honestly don't feel that's accurate description.  Arizona won 3 games last year, two of which came against San Francisco who won 4 games themselves.  Arizona was garbage this year, and the Packers lost.  Heads absolutely needed to roll.  The Packers did what was best for them.

Did you even read the next paragraph of my piece, where I said I had no problem with Murphy firing McCarthy the next day ?   Same result, but handled a little more sensitively. You CAN be  businesslike while showing a little empathy.

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Agree. If it ain't broke, quite bitching about fixing it. So where's the evidence that it's broken? We didnt get some ST guy?

Meanwhile.....back at the office........

We've changed the roster over.....changed the tactics of player acquisition......changed almost the entire coaching staff over.......and are poised to get back into things after a short downturn. Not some "wandering and losing aimlessly period..." No. We're back.

It ain't broke that I can see. So quit the bitching.

Ain't broke?  This year we will see if it Ain't broke.  Would you agree?  We are in the situation we are at because we held on to a GM that wasn't fit to perform his duties at the end.  Murphy is the person responsible for that.  This team has been regressed for 4 years straight.  Success in Green Bay is measured by championships. I hope I am wrong about Mark but I am not willing to give him 4 years to make this work.  

Silverstein seems to fancy himself a sort of “investigative journalist” these days. Mostly I gleaned from skimming his way-too-wordy-story, and during the 5-minute interview clip that accompanies the article, is vague generalities. There’s very little substance to support what he’s suggesting COULD happen.

Here’s an excerpt from Silverstein’s LONG, rambling narrative that describes his “sources” for the story:

Speaking with current and former members of the organization, agents and friends for some of those employees and people who do business with the Packers, nearly 20 in total, there are concerns that the organization is headed down a faulty path.

Really? These are your sources?  “...people who do business with the Packers” "...agents and friends of employees”  “...current and former members of the organization”

Nothing to see here folks...

Edited by JQ1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Disagree on the assessment of Free Agency. It wasn't that we were desperate, it was that for the first time in a long *** time, we actually had some cap space free. 

We'll agree to disagree.  Zadarius Smith, who had a contract year that almost out-produced his entire NFL career before it, is the 9th highest paid edge rusher in the NFL.  I understand you've got to over-pay in free Agency but we just paid a guy who wasn’t much better than a JAG over his career like he's a pro bowler.  It's always dangerous handing out huge contracts out of out of the ordinary contract year performances.  For that deal to be good, we're going to have to see a substantial amout of improvement out of Z Smith who is likely going to encounter substantially more attention from opposing offenses than he saw in Baltimore.  

I'm fine with having him in Green Bay because he’s a serviceable player but that sort of egregious overpay has the look of desperation.  IMO, the contract is almost unprecedented among edge rushers.  Having trouble finding an edge rusher who got that sort of contract after 4 years of that sort of production. 

Don’t mind the Amos deal though that’s a ton of money for a safety with no ball skills.  Preston Smith was probably a steal given the contract we handed out to Zadarius Smith. 

I may sound like I’m being overly critical but I don’t mind the offseason.  Given the state of the team, they needed to approach with offseason with some desperation.  Whether that works out and whether Gute is the right hire is a TBD in my eyes.

16 hours ago, Scoremore said:

It is premature but I'm smart so...ha ha ha.   Can't blame last year on Gute please.  That was a disaster in the making over years.  Really liking his drafts.  As for FA yes he overpaid but essentially swapped these guys for Perry/Matthews.  Again put into a situation not of his making. As far as MLF none of us have any idea what he'll be.  Gute was charged with turning this team around quickly.  He's making all the necessary moves.  Rome wasn't' built in a day.  With as depleted as the roster was looking at a 3 year project.  This is year 2.  I would expect a wild card birth this year if everything goes well.  First year coach and a lot of new players it takes time.  In 2021 we'll be back in contention.  

I'm not blaming last year all on Gute but you are fooling yourself if you don't think he deserves any blame. 

-Picking Randall Cobb over Jordy Nelson was a significant mistake.  He picked youth and the offense paid the price all year because of it.  

- Making Jimmy Graham the highest paid TE in NFL history, another significant mistake.  In a year where our WR depth and talent sucked, he was extreamly underwhelming given the amount of snaps he received.

- Ignoring both Safety and edge rusher last offseason which had a snow ball effect that resulted in us having to massively overpay for the positions this year in UFA.  

- We didn't get all that significant of an impact from his first draft IMO.  Alexander was pretty good and MVS had moments early in the season but we got nothing from the rest of the class.  Obviously its too early to tell one way or the other but IMO it's premature to call that his first draft a win or a loss.  

Rome wasn't built in a day but the idea that he took over a dumpster heap is greatly exagerated.  The GBP looked like a legit Super Bowl contender prior to the Aaron Rodgers injury in week 6 of 2017.  They were 5-1 and had faced 3 teams that were in the playoffs the year prior.  The offense has went down hill drastically since then.  

21 minutes ago, SSG said:

We'll agree to disagree.  Zadarius Smith, who had a contract year that almost out-produced his entire NFL career before it, is the 9th highest paid edge rusher in the NFL.  I understand you've got to over-pay in free Agency but we just paid a guy who wasn’t much better than a JAG over his career like he's a pro bowler.  It's always dangerous handing out huge contracts out of out of the ordinary contract year performances.  For that deal to be good, we're going to have to see a substantial amout of improvement out of Z Smith who is likely going to encounter substantially more attention from opposing offenses than he saw in Baltimore.  

I'm fine with having him in Green Bay because he’s a serviceable player but that sort of egregious overpay has the look of desperation.  IMO, the contract is almost unprecedented among edge rushers.  Having trouble finding an edge rusher who got that sort of contract after 4 years of that sort of production. 

Don’t mind the Amos deal though that’s a ton of money for a safety with no ball skills.  Preston Smith was probably a steal given the contract we handed out to Zadarius Smith. 

I may sound like I’m being overly critical but I don’t mind the offseason.  Given the state of the team, they needed to approach with offseason with some desperation.  Whether that works out and whether Gute is the right hire is a TBD in my eyes.

If a player has the 9th highest salary the year he signs the deal, that's about what you would expect the 20th best guy at his position to sign for when you take into account contract inflation and rookie deals. That's life in Free Agency.

I swear to God if this fanbase goes from screaming about how we never sign free agents to screaming about how free agents are bad value, in going to lose my mind.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SSG said:

We'll agree to disagree.  Zadarius Smith, who had a contract year that almost out-produced his entire NFL career before it, is the 9th highest paid edge rusher in the NFL.  I understand you've got to over-pay in free Agency but we just paid a guy who wasn’t much better than a JAG over his career like he's a pro bowler.  It's always dangerous handing out huge contracts out of out of the ordinary contract year performances. 

Yeah, and that is the team's bet...that Z is an ascending player just figuring things out and ready to take another step in a system that has identified and will make good use of his skillset. If that doesn't happen then your warning is prescient.

Speaking of, year's back Reggie McKenzie was our pro guy and we all knew who was tracking NFL talent for FA and waiver additions.

Do we know who has that responsibility now, or has the FO restructuring just put Gute in charge of that?

56 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

Silverstein seems to fancy himself a sort of “investigative journalist” these days. Mostly I gleaned from skimming his way-too-wordy-story, and during the 5-minute interview clip that accompanies the article, is vague generalities. There’s very little substance to support what he’s suggesting COULD happen.

Here’s an excerpt from Silverstein’s LONG, rambling narrative that describes his “sources” for the story:

Speaking with current and former members of the organization, agents and friends for some of those employees and people who do business with the Packers, nearly 20 in total, there are concerns that the organization is headed down a faulty path.

Really? These are your sources?  “...people who do business with the Packers” "...agents and friends of employees”  “...current and former members of the organization”

Nothing to see here folks...

If "Current and former members of the organization" do not count as sources, then the only source that will pass your burden of proof is what one of the top 4 guys says in a press conference.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If a player has the 9th highest salary the year he signs the deal, that's about what you would expect the 20th best guy at his position to sign for when you take into account contract inflation and rookie deals. That's life in Free Agency.

I swear to God if this fanbase goes from screaming about how we never sign free agents to screaming about how free agents are bad value, in going to lose my mind.

I'm not screaming about anything as I stated that I don't mind the desperation.  Just pointing out that we paid Zadarius Smith like he's a star despite never playing at that star level.  His production as an edge rusher over his 4 year career isn't impressive in anyway.  

You can spend in free agency without acting like the Redskins and that's how I feel our free agency went.  

22 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'm not screaming about anything as I stated that I don't mind the desperation.  Just pointing out that we paid Zadarius Smith like he's a star despite never playing at that star level.  His production as an edge rusher over his 4 year career isn't impressive in anyway.  

You can spend in free agency without acting like the Redskins and that's how I feel our free agency went.  

We paid Z like "a young ascending player coming off of a star year." That's free agency for you. If we hadn't drafted like **** the last 5 years and addressed the EDGE position better, maybe we wouldn't have needed the Smiths. That's life in the NFL. 

Also, people need to stop sleeping on Z. Guy posted 60 pressures on 691 snaps last year. His stats were right on part with Flowers, who played in BB's system, and people were having wet dreams over him possibly landing in GB on this forum. Z always has been one of the top EDGE prospects in the 2019 class. With the caveat that any free agent acquisition always has room to bust, landing Z was a home run for Gute. 

Edited by packfanfb

I think this topic is a distraction to the organization written up by a bunch of people hurting for a story; but I will say this: If there's any truth to MLF being forced to keep Pettine, who's to say that MLF actually had a problem with it? Pettine can be trusted IMHO and if I'm MLF, that's less stress on me to solve that side of the ball while trying to install a brand new offense...