Mark Murphy must go!!

Slinky

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

1. That's silly. There's a real budget.

2. Or maybe Rizzi asked for more?

Why? They're ******* printing money. The money doesn't have anywhere to go. It's just falling into a laughably huge Scrooge McDuck vault.

Who cares if Rizzi asked for more, pay him more. According to the reports he took the exact same contract from New Orleans that he requested here.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why? They're ******* printing money. The money doesn't have anywhere to go. It's just falling into a laughably huge Scrooge McDuck vault.

Who cares if Rizzi asked for more, pay him more. According to the reports he took the exact same contract from New Orleans that he requested here.

It makes as much sense to me that he chose New Orleans so he didn’t have to drive two hours to get a 9 hour flight home to see his family in Miami.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Murphy knew what it was going to take to get this done. He tried to play this old school sitting across the table from a new school cat. He started with a low ball offer trying to save a few bucks. And got burned.

Got it. Fine. It happens all the time. An offer gets made and is either accepted or "No thanks I'll pass"

Dont see how that speaks some institutional / organizational instability.

Is there an "operational budget?" - I would sure hope so.

We missed out on a ST guy that honestly - I never thought wanted to come to Green Bay to begin with.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, deathstar said:

It makes as much sense to me that he chose New Orleans so he didn’t have to drive two hours to get a 9 hour flight home to see his family in Miami.

It's not nearly as long as that. It much closer to 3 hours gate to gate.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Every team is printing money. Yet every team has a finite staff budget. 

I don't believe any report that claims to say he took an EXACT offer somewhere else. No offers are exact, especially in the NFL.

Milwaukee does which is what I figured he meant by the 2 hour drive to get to the flight.

You're simply not flying 9 hours from anywhere to anywhere in the continental US. 

It might take 9 hours to get from GB to Miami but the "flight" isn't taking anywhere near that.

A 9 hour flight from the Midwest is getting you to somewhere in Europe or Hawaii.

• Like 1

Missed the 2hr drive mention. Takes a day of travel to get from GB to Miami. Would guess NOLA to Miami is a half day.

Wouldnt be a surprise at all to find out he would want some leniency on schedule or salary to offset distance from family if his is staying out in Miami.

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't believe any report that claims to say he took an EXACT offer somewhere else. No offers are exact, especially in the NFL.

All 31 other teams have an owner who has a likely objective to make money from his NFL franchise.  GB does not have that.  

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The difference is that every other team is taking that profit and putting it into an owner's pocket. There's a reason for them not to have an infinite coaching staff budget. Ownership is looking to get paid.

What the hell are the Packers going to do with that money? Upgrade the lobby of the Sheraton hotel? That's putting outside interests over on field products. 

And that is my issue with Mark Murphy jumping in on anything to do with the on-field product. He should be the keeper of the checkbook, and that's it. And he should be real loose on those purse strings. If Gute or LaFleur wants something, he needs to be writing that check for it. Unless the amount is pants on head retarded expensive, which Rizzi's contract was not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The difference is that every other team is taking that profit and putting it into an owner's pocket. There's a reason for them not to have an infinite coaching staff budget. Ownership is looking to get paid.

What the hell are the Packers going to do with that money? Upgrade the lobby of the Sheraton hotel? That's putting outside interests over on field products. 

And that is my issue with Mark Murphy jumping in on anything to do with the on-field product. He should be the keeper of the checkbook, and that's it. And he should be real loose on those purse strings. If Gute or LaFleur wants something, he needs to be writing that check for it. Unless the amount is pants on head retarded expensive, which Rizzi's contract was not.

What would we have paid Rizzi compared to our other coaches currently here. That could be a huge factor. How much did that play into this. 

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I dunno. It's a zero-sum game. I know Murphy has significantly more experience than either of us running athletic programs. Every dollar spent on a ST coach is one that won't expand the stadium, stadium district, build better practice and training facilities that attract future and present free agents and staff to the team.

Do you think Murphy has an arbitrary budget?

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So GB should be run like a non-profit?

Exactly GB is only the Packers other owners have other interests and income. The Pack need a large bankroll no one knows when it will be needed. Prudent planning and saving is huge for the Pack. No big deep pocket to bail everything out.