Doc Draper

Patrick Ryan Kerrigan

Should Patrick Ryan Kerrigan be in the Hall of Fame  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Kerrigan a future Hall of Famer

• Yes
    • No

I don’t believe there is a more accomplished and least talked about redskins player in the history of our franchise. His accomplishments kind of sneak up on you as a dingo does stalking a koala. Lol

seriously though let me hit you with some reality

- all time leader for consecutive starts by an nfl outside linebacker 

- will probably break the all time redskins sack record of Dexter later this year that appropriately happens to be 91 for you numerology followers

-  25 forced fumbles

- has never once been involved in a scandal during his career and seems like the kind of guy you’d want your daughter to marry. 

While he’s not finished yet and I hope he’s got another 3-4 years in him, we’ve been extremely fortunate to have a player of his character, toughness, professionalism and success on our team. He’s approaching Hall of Fame territory but like Jacoby probably won’t make it because he’s not a self promoting big mouth that’s always in the news. And unlike Jacoby, he’s had the bad luck to play Redskins . DS- ( the Daniel Snyder era )He’s just the kind of player the Redskins PR machine should work to highlight nationally to give him a better chance. 

56 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I don’t believe there is a more accomplished and least talked about redskins player in the history of our franchise. His accomplishments kind of sneak up on you as a dingo does stalking a koala. Lol

seriously though let me hit you with some reality

- all time leader for consecutive starts by an nfl outside linebacker 

- will probably break the all time redskins sack record of Dexter later this year that appropriately happens to be 91 for you numerology followers

-  25 forced fumbles

- has never once been involved in a scandal during his career and seems like the kind of guy you’d want your daughter to marry. 

While he’s not finished yet and I hope he’s got another 3-4 years in him, we’ve been extremely fortunate to have a player of his character, toughness, professionalism and success on our team. He’s approaching Hall of Fame territory but like Jacoby probably won’t make it because he’s not a self promoting big mouth that’s always in the news. And unlike Jacoby, he’s had the bad luck to play Redskins . DS- ( the Daniel Snyder era )He’s just the kind of player the Redskins PR machine should work to highlight nationally to give him a better chance. 

I think if he can just keep doing what he’s averaged it’s close. If Sweat and this defense can be what the talent and type of effort guys we have around him then he can actually produce closer to 15 sacks then his normal 10

I don’t think his numbers should be off of the big guys around him from his class. That said they all have had years with excellent defenses!!!! Let’s give Ryan 3 years of good defense and see what he can put up

Dont think he's a HOF player but definitely a Franchise Player who should be honored by His Team. He should go in the Redskins Players of All Time Greats.

He's as good as other players in the hall of fame. His numbers are as good as ANY pass rusher in the NFL and he is an iron man. So yeah,he's very underrated by the Skins fanbase. Not a clue how Demarcus Lawrence was voted as the best pass rusher in the division.  He will be lucky to have a career like Kerrigan😋😋😋

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Hall of Very Good. 

Agree with this. Amazing career, but for me was never a guy that was transcendent at his position. Certainly have been happy to have him on the team all these years though.

Great points all around. I tend to agree with themes  that he’s not a totally dominant game changing but he’s a very special player with similar traits and performance of another an iron man up the road a bit who had a similar style, unbelievable steak of playing and a lifetime batting average 276 who was a unanimous HOF player  

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

Great points all around. I tend to agree with themes  that he’s not a totally dominant game changing but he’s a very special player with similar traits and performance of another an iron man up the road a bit who had a similar style, unbelievable steak of playing and a lifetime batting average 276 who was a unanimous HOF player  

Also, the lack of team success will hurt guys like him, Chris Samuels’ and Clinton Portis’ cases for the Hall of Fame. Imo Chris Samuels and Brian Mitchell should be in the Hall, but I doubt it happens.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:53 PM, turtle28 said:

Hall of Very Good. 

On 5/11/2019 at 5:41 PM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Agree with this. Amazing career, but for me was never a guy that was transcendent at his position. Certainly have been happy to have him on the team all these years though.

My first inclination was to go with this. I have loved having him on the team, but he's just been a lunch pail kind of guy: he does his job but doesn't get a lot of splash for it.

As a point against him, I went looking up active sack leaders:

1. Julius Peppers = 159.5 (4th all time)
  2. Terrell Suggs = 132.5 (tied 13th all time)
  3. Von Miller = 98.0 (tied 33rd all time)
  4. Cameron Wake = 98.0 (tied 33rd all time)
  5. J.J. Watt = 92.0 (44th all time)
  6. Ryan Kerrigan = 84.5 (tied 54th all time)
  7. Clay Matthews = 83.5 (tied 58th all time)
  8. Calais Campbell = 81.5 (tied 61st all time)
  9. Justin Houston = 78.5 (73rd all time)
  10. Chandler Jones = 77.0 (75th all time)

Then, I noticed something.

1. Julius Peppers = 159.5 across 17 seasons = 9.38 sacks per season
  2. Terrell Suggs = 132.5 across 16 seasons = 8.28 sacks per season
  3. Von Miller = 98.0 across 8 seasons = 12.25 sacks per season
  4. Cameron Wake = 98.0 across 10 seasons = 9.80 sacks per season
  5. J.J. Watt = 92.0 across 8 seasons = 11.50 sacks per season
  6. Ryan Kerrigan = 84.5 across 8 seasons = 10.56 sacks per season
  7. Clay Matthews = 83.5 across 10 seasons = 8.35 sacks per season
  8. Calais Campbell = 81.5 across 11 seasons = 7.41 sacks per season
  9. Justin Houston = 78.5 across 8 seasons = 9.81 sacks per season
  10. Chandler Jones = 77.0 across 7 seasons = 11.00 sacks per season

So, on a time basis, Kerrigan is one of only four of these guys who is averaging 10+ sacks per season. So, maybe?

The problem is this list:

• Leslie O'Neal - 132.5 sacks
  • Simeon Rice - 122.0 sacks
  • Clyde Simmons - 121.5 sacks
  • Sean Jones - 113.0 sacks
  • Greg Townsend - 109.5 sacks
  • Pat Swilling - 107.5 sacks
  • Trace Armstrong - 106.0 sacks
  • Kevin Carter - 104.5 sacks
  • Neil Smith -  104.5 sacks
  • Jim Jeffcoat - 102.5 sacks
  • William Fuller - 100.5 sacks

That is a list of all of the 100+ sack crowd that is not in the Hall of Fame. Correction, that is the list of the currently eligible members of the 100+ sack crowd who are not in the Hall of Fame. DeMarcus Ware (138.5), Jared Allen (136.0), John Abraham (133.5), Dwight Freeney (125.5), Robert Mathis (123.0), and Elvis Dumervil (105.5) will all become eligible in the next 1-4 years.

So, for Kerrigan to get in, he's got to do three things:

1. Keep up the 10+ sacks/season trend for three or four more years.
  2. Make multiple Pro Bowls, and at least one first team All Pro team.
  3. Stay with Washington over that time (it helps if you stick with one team, when you need the votes ... you have an active partisan in the room pounding the table for you).

Wouldn't hurt if Washington actually was competitive during that span either.