Hometown Discounts

LETSGOBROWNIES

Vote ya schmucks  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a less than market value contract to have a better chance at a ring/multiple rings?

• I’m not taking a penny less
    • Maybe a bit, but not much.
    • I’d take substantially less to stay in a good situation.
  2. 2. Would you expect teammates to do the same? (Provided they were also elite players who will be earning and have earned substantial money already. For example, guys like Garrett, Ward, OBJ)

• Nope, that’s their choice.
    • Yep, everyone should sacrifice a bit for the betterment of the group.

So much has, and will continue to be made of the looming extensions for our core players, Baker, Ward, Garrett, etc.  When you look around the league and see guys like Brady and Ben (for a while) playing for significantly less than market value, I often wonder if I would do the same.

I personally believe I would.  I can’t see a situation where 15-18 million per year, 20 tops, wouldn’t be satisfactory.  If I’m Baker I’d rather be Tom Brady who’s surrounded by talent than a guy like Flacco who was the reason a lot of the talent around him left.

Obviously I’d expect the team to use that money to keep talent in place, but I do think it would be a better situation overall.

So, what would you do?  How much of a discount would you take, if any?

• Like 1

I think there is a middle ground for everybody want to be paid their value while not boning the entire team and its growth. Im not a multi-millionaire athlete, but even as a normal human being I just dont see how making 14m per year compared to 17m per year really alters how you live your life. If the teams top 5 players just took 5-10% less it could open up cap space to sign 2+ difference makers.

For instance If Myles Garrett takes a contract like Chandler Jones of 16m per year over demanding to be paid the highest DE in the league at 22m per year---that savings could really help the team, Myles would still be paid in the top 5 of his position and Im sure he would be just fine making 16m over 6 years for a total of 100m w/ signing bonus. In his case, I truethfully dont see how a persons life alters if makes 100m in 6 years or 120m in 6 years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think there is a middle ground for everybody want to be paid their value while not boning the entire team and its growth. Im not a multi-millionaire athlete, but even as a normal human being I just dont see how making 14m per year compared to 17m per year really alters how you live your life. If the teams top 5 players just took 5-10% less it could open up cap space to sign 2+ difference makers.

For instance If Myles Garrett takes a contract like Chandler Jones of 16m per year over demanding to be paid the highest DE in the league at 22m per year---that savings could really help the team, Myles would still be paid in the top 5 of his position and Im sure he would be just fine making 16m over 6 years for a total of 100m w/ signing bonus. In his case, I truethfully dont see how a persons life alters if makes 100m in 6 years or 120m in 6 years. 

This is where I’m at entirely.

To add to this, there’s also endorsement money that will have to be accounted for.  These top tier guys aren’t living on their salaries alone.  Baker is gonna be one of the faces of the league if he continues to progress which could tack another 5-15 million on to his annual income.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is where I’m at entirely.

To add to this, there’s also endorsement money that will have to be accounted for.  These top tier guys aren’t living on their salaries alone.  Baker is gonna be one of the faces of the league if he continues to progress which could tack another 5-15 million on to his annual income.

Right, like Gronk he has lived off his endorsement money his entire career. Do you really think there is something on this planet Gronk wants to do or buy that hes not able to because of money---and he hasnt even touched his contract money.

I just think its smart if the top 5 guys on each team took a little haircut off the top to open up an additional 20-30m per year in cap flexibility. Your still filthy rich, making top 5 money for your position and it allows the team to retain talent or go out and get more. 

This team is absolutly going to regret it if they make both Myles/Baker the highest paid players at their position and wrap up 250m+ in contracts in 2 guys.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

This team is absolutly going to regret it if they make both Myles/Baker the highest paid players at their position and wrap up 250m+ in contracts in 2 guys.

Provided they both continue to develop and they want those types of deals, the team doesn’t really have much of a choice unfortunately.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Provided they both continue to develop and they want those types of deals, the team doesn’t really have much of a choice unfortunately.

No they wont, but Im just saying I hope Baker/Myles maybe have a bit of a team first stance in negotiations and they both take top 3-5 money and not demand to be the highest

• Like 1

I the only way I would consider taking a pay cut is if I’m the QB. They are as they should be the highest paid position group and the most protected. It seems like every year they change how you can and can’t hit the QB. If I’m playing any other position I want to maximize my value while I can because at any point my opportunity to get paid could be gone. There are countless examples of guys who were poised to have a big payday but suffered a terrible injury and never got paid.

I also think that the QB position is the only position where you’re legacy is primarily judged on winning. Winning definitely enhances the legacies of star players that win but when people talk about guys like Moss, Berry, or Champ they only mention their greatness vs when you talk about how Dan Marino was it’s always mentioned that he never won a super bowl, people even knock Aaron Rogers for only Winning 1 so far

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

I the only way I would consider taking a pay cut is if I’m the QB. They are as they should be the highest paid position group and the most protected. It seems like every year they change how you can and can’t hit the QB. If I’m playing any other position I want to maximize my value while I can because at any point my opportunity to get paid could be gone. There are countless examples of guys who were poised to have a big payday but suffered a terrible injury and never got paid.

I also think that the QB position is the only position where you’re legacy is primarily judged on winning. Winning definitely enhances the legacies of star players that win but when people talk about guys like Moss, Berry, or Champ they only mention their greatness vs when you talk about how Dan Marino was it’s always mentioned that he never won a super bowl, people even knock Aaron Rogers for only Winning 1 so far

source.gif

6 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

By the time Garrett hits his second contract he’ll have made about 45 million dollars, not including endorsements.  That also doesn’t include any guarantees on his second deal.

Assuming he takes half of what Mack just got, he’ll be guaranteed 90 million dollars.

6 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Eh, it’s not just about legacy but also enjoyment while playing.

I mean, would you rather make a ton of money and be Joe Thomas or a bit less and be part of a successful team and get to experience consistently winning and being in the playoffs?

If we win this year, both Landry and Vernon should be asked to consider a home town discount as they are relatively over payed for their production. Or they can play for another team.

For extensions. 

Myles hopefully at the mack and donald level not exceeding it to slightly below

Njoku at market for te,  which is affordable unless someone blows it's up. 

Baker should take a discount, he relies on so many other players to be successful. I could see him getting a 5 year deal fully guaranteed 1st 4 years at kirk cousins money. That would allow us to get or keep an olinmen.

Ward, After ramsey gets extended or paid we will need a discount or a new corner.

I definitely would. But then I can read good.

A lot of these guys can't count to 10 without counting their fingers.

Jason Pierre Paul is so stupid he can't even do that.

I would though. For the team I love I'd be able to cope with a few million less.

• Like 2

Hunt will be an interesting one for a of  reasons, he comes up in two years time. 

His market will be weak from a perspective not all teams will be interested due to his past.  

We may be able to get him cheaper than market for his 3rd contract 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

If we win this year, both Landry and Vernon should be asked to consider a home town discount as they are relatively over payed for their production. Or they can play for another team.

For extensions. 

Myles hopefully at the mack and donald level not exceeding it to slightly below

Njoku at market for te,  which is affordable unless someone blows it's up. 

Baker should take a discount, he relies on so many other players to be successful. I could see him getting a 5 year deal fully guaranteed 1st 4 years at kirk cousins money. That would allow us to get or keep an olinmen.

Ward, After ramsey gets extended or paid we will need a discount or a new corner.

I feel like we’re going to do all we can to keep Vernon and Landry. We need success first. If we win 11 or 12 games this year it’ll be a lot easier to keep the band together.

• Like 1

We’re going to be parting with a few players that’s for sure so just be ready for that...

Tretter

Hubbard

Randall

Duke

TJ Carrie

Higgins

could all be gone next year. Some may take hometown discount. We’ll see. Need to keep the locker room happy.

• Like 1

Most guys are football players and they are cool with that. They will hire an agent to take care of the business side. Agents aren't going to negotiate a hometown discount. It is easy to talk a player into more money (or their worth)  by having them weigh what owners make and be shown the average career span of players and injury possibilities and show them many examples of owners just cutting a player because it is business so get as much as you can up front and get every possible cent you can get.

Hard to argue with all of that, especially coming from an agent whose business is that. That said, I'm taking a discount because I don't really have any greed, give me enough to take care of me and my family without having money troubles (all of the other troubles will remain) in the future and all those extra zeroes at the end doesn't matter to me. I am aware that it does matter to a great deal of people so I wouldn't judge or even ever ask a teammate to take anything less than the most that they can get.

• Like 2