Hometown Discounts

LETSGOBROWNIES

Vote ya schmucks  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a less than market value contract to have a better chance at a ring/multiple rings?

• I’m not taking a penny less
    • Maybe a bit, but not much.
    • I’d take substantially less to stay in a good situation.
  2. 2. Would you expect teammates to do the same? (Provided they were also elite players who will be earning and have earned substantial money already. For example, guys like Garrett, Ward, OBJ)

• Nope, that’s their choice.
    • Yep, everyone should sacrifice a bit for the betterment of the group.

23 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Most guys are football players and they are cool with that. They will hire an agent to take care of the business side. Agents aren't going to negotiate a hometown discount. It is easy to talk a player into more money (or their worth)  by having them weigh what owners make and be shown the average career span of players and injury possibilities and show them many examples of owners just cutting a player because it is business so get as much as you can up front and get every possible cent you can get.

Hard to argue with all of that, especially coming from an agent whose business is that. That said, I'm taking a discount because I don't really have any greed, give me enough to take care of me and my family without having money troubles (all of the other troubles will remain) in the future and all those extra zeroes at the end doesn't matter to me. I am aware that it does matter to a great deal of people so I wouldn't judge or even ever ask a teammate to take anything less than the most that they can get.

Yeah I wouldn’t press a guy like Higgins (for example) to take a huge discount as he’s never really seen a huge payday, but for the guys who are already set, I’d want them to consider it.

As far as the owner, it is what it is, they always make the most and that isn’t changing.  My only stipulation in taking less is that money is actually spent on other players or rolled over and spent, not just pocketed by ownership.  I’d probably stay on shorter deals if I was Baker to keep ownership honest, and if they don’t then I’d push for every penny. If they do their part I keep reupping on team friendly deals that are completely guaranteed. Everyone wins.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I wouldn’t press a guy like Higgins (for example) to take a huge discount as he’s never really seen a huge payday, but for the guys who are already set, I’d want them to consider it.

As far as the owner, it is what it is, they always make the most and that isn’t changing.  My only stipulation in taking less is that money is actually spent on other players or rolled over and spent, not just pocketed by ownership.  I’d probably stay on shorter deals if I was Baker to keep ownership honest, and if they don’t then I’d push for every penny. If they do their part I keep reupping on team friendly deals that are completely guaranteed. Everyone wins.

Yeah, you really may eventually go through multiple agents because they are going to fight for you to get every penny they can even if it is against you. That is an easy sell to most but if you are LGB; the Browns franchise QB and you want to take a discount they are fighting you I'm sure. Obviously they won't quit you but there may come a time you fire them because you don't have the same interests.

It's almost only going to be your QB, LT and pass rusher who will consider discounts because they seem to have the longest careers along with making the most money. A CB may do it but they are looking at less time in the league in general so it would be a tougher sell if you are selling. Now as far as last contracts for a CB, WR or whoever, if they have already made plenty and want to win then yeah they may do it but they are often cap casualties anyway and replaced with a  younger player who is much cheaper than the discounted price anyway.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, you really may eventually go through multiple agents because they are going to fight for you to get every penny they can even if it is against you. That is an easy sell to most but if you are LGB; the Browns franchise QB and you want to take a discount they are fighting you I'm sure. Obviously they won't quit you but there may come a time you fire them because you don't have the same interests.

That’s ok, I’m sure there’s some arsehole out there who can draw up a contract for 3% or whatever they get.

Don Yee does ok with Brady’s.

It's almost only going to be your QB, LT and pass rusher who will consider discounts because they seem to have the longest careers along with making the most money. A CB may do it but they are looking at less time in the league in general so it would be a tougher sell if you are selling. Now as far as last contracts for a CB, WR or whoever, if they have already made plenty and want to win then yeah they may do it but they are often cap casualties anyway and replaced with a  younger player who is much cheaper than the discounted price anyway.

I think CB can work if they’re a high pick, like Ward.  He’ll likely have earned 40 million before his second deal, so getting to a 9 figure career earnings mark should be pretty easy if he plays a “normal” career for a top player.

I realize it’s easy to turn down money that’s not actually being offered, but I don’t see what I can do with 120-150 million I can’t with 100 million.  I don’t need pet tigers, private planes or 25k square foot homes.

• Like 1

People shouldnt over look the value of winning. If you win it will add years to your career if you are somewhat healthy. 

Legacy is also important for future earnings. For Joe Thomas it has done him a tremendous service by being loyal and a good guy.   

For someone like Baker or Myles sticking to the browns for their career could serve them well in the future. 

I agree for the guys drafting in the later rounds you dont make the type of money that makes the nfl truly worth it until your 2nd contract or until you get the 50% snaps pay boost thing. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s ok, I’m sure there’s some arsehole out there who can draw up a contract for 3% or whatever they get.

Don Yee does ok with Brady’s.

I think CB can work if they’re a high pick, like Ward.  He’ll likely have earned 40 million before his second deal, so getting to a 9 figure career earnings mark should be pretty easy if he plays a “normal” career for a top player.

I realize it’s easy to turn down money that’s not actually being offered, but I don’t see what I can do with 120-150 million I can’t with 100 million.  I don’t need pet tigers, private planes or 25k square foot homes.

Evidently agents can't take more than 3% of NFL players' playing contract, something that I did not know. That just means that have to make that 3% as much as possible. Still, of course you can find an agent to take 3% of less than you can earn but there is also a chance that during that conversation there could be some ill feelings depending on how much they push.

As far as 100 million or 150 million yeah, there is no difference. It should last generations unless you or someone else really screws up and then it probably doesn't matter which number it is anyway a screw up can delete either account.

• Like 1

Evidently agents can't take more than 3% of NFL players' playing contract, something that I did not know. That just means that have to make that 3% as much as possible. Still, of course you can find an agent to take 3% of less than you can earn but there is also a chance that during that conversation there could be some ill feelings depending on how much they push.

I guess if I was an agent I’d rather have a guy like Brady who takes less money but also isn’t the type to nuke every situation, every relationship, etc and make your job stupid hard.  Think Drew Rosenhaus with TO.

To be able to make 3 percent to essentially do what any attorney could for a few billable hours ain’t bad work if you can get it.

As far as 100 million or 150 million yeah, there is no difference. It should last generations unless you or someone else really screws up and then it probably doesn't matter which number it is anyway a screw up can delete either account.

Very true.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess if I was an agent I’d rather have a guy like Brady who takes less money but also isn’t the type to nuke every situation, every relationship, etc and make your job stupid hard.  Think Drew Rosenhaus with TO.

To be able to make 3 percent to essentially do what any attorney could for a few billable hours ain’t bad work if you can get it.

Rookies should use lawyers not agents with the rookie wage scale. 

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Very true.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

No such thing. Player empowerment era. 

What’s a better display of empowerment than to recognize you’re well paid either way and get to play where you want on your terms with a better supporting cast?

You say there’s no such thing, but the goat has been doing it for most of his career.

It most definitely can, and has been done.  It just takes a person who has enough self confidence they don’t need the ego stroking that accompanies being the highest paid.

• Like 1

Discounts happen a lot. 

Duke may have got more on the open market. 

Tony Jefferson took less to go to balt over us. 

Wr didnt go to balt this year, taking less to go literally anywhere else. 

Davante parker took a discount in gb to stay with Roger's