Hometown Discounts

LETSGOBROWNIES

Vote ya schmucks  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a less than market value contract to have a better chance at a ring/multiple rings?

• I’m not taking a penny less
    • Maybe a bit, but not much.
    • I’d take substantially less to stay in a good situation.
  2. 2. Would you expect teammates to do the same? (Provided they were also elite players who will be earning and have earned substantial money already. For example, guys like Garrett, Ward, OBJ)

• Nope, that’s their choice.
    • Yep, everyone should sacrifice a bit for the betterment of the group.

We have a couple of years before we have to pay the tab on Garrett, Baker, etc, and in that time we need to make consistent deep playoff runs. I don't think a team/winning oriented guy like Brady would have taken a "home team" discount if he already didn't have a taste of winning big and confidence that his organization could get back there again and again. If we become a model winning organization like that, we'll have a good chance to get some guys who take the home team discount (and others who will be more about ego or paycheck who won't). For me, I'd like to think I'd go the Brady route in his situation...and if I had a hot wife like his who was going to out-earn me no matter what, I definitely would!

Edited by dawgdish
  • Like 1

We don't have a "couple" of years.  We have this year.  They will enact Garrett's 5th year option and hopefully have a long term deal worked out before training camp next year, but in all likelihood sometime early in the fall.

Tom Brady doesn't take a hometown discount without a super model for a wife who is worth half a billion dollars.   He would do just as every other QB has done, and agree to rework his contracts with more guaranteed money long term, while reducing the current year's cap hit.   Usually this is done by restructuring the contract and giving them a huge signing bonus, which is split up between 5 years of cap space. 

We aren't getting a home team discount from anyone next year, and likely not the year after when Baker, Ward, and Chubb all come due.  

With that said, if we do end up making it to a few AFC title games, and/or SuperBowls we will likely have top end veterans seeking out our team in FA and willing to take less money for the chance at a SB.

Edited by Tomahawk

I definitely would. I have worked for bosses I hate and bosses I love, in places that love me and places that tolerate me. And (when we're talking the difference between being financially set forever and... being financially set forever...) I would absolutely be willing to take less to be in a place I love and feel comfortable (and feel like I have the best chance to fulfill my potential and "win").

We should probably rephrase this question to "Harken back to the memory of your youth you were still a wet behind the ears know nothing early 20 something year old punk.  Are you going to take $3-10 million less a year with the chance of injury looming at any moment, and no guaranteed money after that, just to play for your hometown team?

Yes.  At 41 years old I can tell you that I would absolutely take less money to be a part of something special involving my hometown Browns.   20 years ago I would absolutely have preferred to play for my Browns than anyone else.  However if I got drafted by the Steelers, I wouldn't sit out a year and re-enter the draft because I refused to play for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Idk if it's just me, but I think caring about the cap is the lamest thing in the world. I get that it's used to justify different moves, but it's not your money. Just win baby!

53 players with a cap. Yeah it’s not my money but if you can’t recognize there’s only so much money to divvy up you’re already in trouble. Pay 4 guys 25 mil and you have to pay 49 guys the rest of the cap. 

Im honestly shocked not more people realize it’s so much more complex than “it’s not my money”. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

53 players with a cap. Yeah it’s not my money but if you can’t recognize there’s only so much money to divvy up you’re already in trouble. Pay 4 guys 25 mil and you have to pay 49 guys the rest of the cap. 

Im honestly shocked not more people realize it’s so much more complex than “it’s not my money”. 

Well the last several years the "it's not my money" made sense because we didn't have to worry about the cap and needed more talent. Things are certainly different now and there will be obstacles down the road that hopefully will be worked out with good draft picks. It is certainly better as a fan to worry about a few roster spots that you may have to downgrade due to the cap than hope to sign a few overpriced free agents to get talent to come to the team.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well the last several years the "it's not my money" made sense because we didn't have to worry about the cap and needed more talent. Things are certainly different now and there will be obstacles down the road that hopefully will be worked out with good draft picks. It is certainly better as a fan to worry about a few roster spots that you may have to downgrade due to the cap than hope to sign a few overpriced free agents to get talent to come to the team.

Yep for now on it gets serious. I’ve said this a ton in here, I want to be the Patriots or the Steelers or even the Ravens. I want long term stability which is extremely hard. Hopefully I don’t get in as much trouble as Odell did saying that 😂