Mini-Camp Notes

AKRNA

37 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Maybe Sam Jones can start at C with McGovern back at RG? Will Leary be ready by the first game? Even if he is, is he better than McGovern or Risner?

Interesting thought. I keep forgetting about Jones. I know he was listed behind Matt last year at center but was seen as needing a year in a weight room. That could go a long way in explaining why the Bronco's were so lackluster in re-signing Matt. 

I've been trying to figure out how Leary fits in what will be primarily a ZBS. Maybe he doesn't as a starter.

So maybe : Bolles- LT Risner-LG, Jones-C, McGovern-RG and James at RT. That could be a pretty talented and nasty "kiddie corp" for Kuper and Munchak to work with. Also a group under contract for the next two+ seasons.

• Like 2

Risner playing LG is ominous on Leary’s progress.  TBH if his 2019 salary wasn’t guaranteed for injury you have to wonder if he’d even be on the roster.   Seems like Jones at C or Wilkinson at RG would be plan B’s if Leary isn’t ready (or worse doesn’t return to starter-level play with his mileage / age / injury recovery). 

• Like 1

Nothing surprising on the QB front planned for OTA’s - Flacco gets all the 1st team work while Lock / Rypien / Hogan split all the 2nd / 3rd team reps.   Let the rookies earn their time.  

The more notable info comes with Butt / Leary.  At Month 9 to be limited doesn’t seal a poor outcome by itself   But the age / Achilles injury for Leary and Butt suffering a 3rd ACL being limited for late May it’s hard to count on a 2019 impact (and in Butt’s case the track record is awful when you haven’t even established a baseline of pro level success).  For Lindsay the news is not nearly as surprising or ominous - a bad fracture that needs time and nothing to prove for him only risk.   

Edited by Broncofan

51 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It kinda sounds like they're looking for the first opportunity to bail on Leary's guaranteed money and dump him for a late round pick. Sam Jones/Elijah Wilkinson battle for the RG spot I'm guessing. Good player but just can't stay healthy.

I think thats a good take. We've really crammed the roster with OL guys with a few years of experience. Our depth should be much better. Lots more talent vying for starting spots also. 

Leary looks to me like the odd man out.

• 3 weeks later...

For me so far the most interesting storyline is the use of Hollins.  He reportedly was playing as an edge player on early downs and kicking to cover ILB in passing situations.  I love the attempt at some creativity whether it works out or not.  It just makes me appreciate the Hollins pick in the 5th round even more.  Whether it pans out or not, Hollins at worst is a solid depth player as a rotational rusher/depth, but the fact they had bigger aspirations for a 5th round pick is what excites me about this new staff.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

For me so far the most interesting storyline is the use of Hollins.  He reportedly was playing as an edge player on early downs and kicking to cover ILB in passing situations.  I love the attempt at some creativity whether it works out or not.  It just makes me appreciate the Hollins pick in the 5th round even more.  Whether it pans out or not, Hollins at worst is a solid depth player as a rotational rusher/depth, but the fact they had bigger aspirations for a 5th round pick is what excites me about this new staff.

It's obviously too early to judge but I have a great feeling about our coaching staff. Actually, more than I have had since they hired Shanahan and his staff 23 years ago.

These guys may be better as a group. Lots of proven talent and teachers on both sides of the ball. Kind of exciting.;

It's one of my favourite times of the year when camp rolls around and a buzz starts to be created about an unknown guy, and you can focus on them in the preseason games. Everyone loves an underdog, especially given our UDFA success in Denver.

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's one of my favourite times of the year when camp rolls around and a buzz starts to be created about an unknown guy, and you can focus on them in the preseason games. Everyone loves an underdog, especially given our UDFA success in Denver.

You got it! We're undefeated, UDFA's look like all-pros and the SB is just around the corner.

Plenty of time for reality to set in this fall. I love the stretch between now and then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I try not to get attached to any UDFA until they prove something in the preseason and regular season. The odds are that most of them won’t even be in football after preseason is over.