Mini-Camp Notes

AKRNA

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Any news on when Jake Butt might be back? I thought he was playing really well before he went down last year. I think a TE group of him, Fant & Heuerman would be a really solid group (albeit with health concerns).

Troy Fumagalli will have a real job on his hands to make this team. If he does, you'd have to imagine it is because of ability on Special Teams.

Based on camp notes, it looks like Fumagalli is playing lights out.  And, the UDFA TEs seem to be playing well.  It may turn out that Butt is the odd man out.  

51 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Based on camp notes, it looks like Fumagalli is playing lights out.  And, the UDFA TEs seem to be playing well.  It may turn out that Butt is the odd man out.  

I just can't put much stock into mini camps I am afraid. It's always good to hear players doing well, but TE is a position that requires physical contact to have any determination on how well said player is looking.

They're going to have show me something in Training Camp and most of all, preseason before I start buying the idea of them beating out Butt.

It's certainly not impossible though, given Jake's injury past and lack of experience on Special Teams.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just can't put much stock into mini camps I am afraid. It's always good to hear players doing well, but TE is a position that requires physical contact to have any determination on how well said player is looking.

They're going to have show me something in Training Camp and most of all, preseason before I start buying the idea of them beating out Butt.

It's certainly not impossible though, given Jake's injury past and lack of experience on Special Teams.

They do need to put on the pads, especially in the trenches before you really know what you've got. That said, reports are that Fumagali has added 10 pounds of muscle and has been working on his blocking all offseason. Also, catching everything thrown his way and becoming adept at finding soft spots in zone. He and Fant in a two TE set would make a lot of DC's cringe. 

• Like 1