Minicamp/OTA/TC Thread

1 minute ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Tajae isn't good. Anyone who thinks hes anything more than a #4 WR has to be trolling. The fact that this is being argued baffles me.

That’s yo opinion again y’all not being realistic, first of all it’s not that many #3 WR in the league that are putting up 500-1000 yards receiving unless they’re a highly productive slot, 2nd of all he plays in a offense that is a run 1st offense run 1st, the same people saying he sucks are the same people that were saying Matt Lafleur play calling is predictable & he always have Marcus in 3rd & long situations. 2nd you can’t say a person sucks or can’t get open, when he doesn’t have a QB that consistently get him the ball to begin with, due to health, OL, or him not being able to go through his progression. Good QB’s can throw WR open. Tajae played on a bad ankle pretty much all last season & as I keep saying I like him as a 4th option 3rd receiver. With Corey, Humphries & Delanie coming back he can thrive in that role & is solid depth. Nobody talking facts, talking bout catch % & targets & he can separate, mane you run the same damn routes & playing for Idiot as a OC let’s see how it works 

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

Nobody talking facts, talking bout catch % & targets & he can separate, mane you run the same damn routes & playing for Idiot as a OC let’s see how it works 

The thing is, this argument would work a lot better if any of the other receivers were near his level of incompetence in the efficiency stats. They all played in the same offense, he was just the only one, out of a bad group, to catch less than 50% of his targets and average a full yard and a half per attempt less than Mariota’s season average.

7 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Jon Robinson has already made it abundantly clear that Sharpe isn’t good enough to be WR3 with the additions of AJ Brown and Humphries.

No he’s doing his so call job, creating competition, if anything Taywan isn’t good enough & using your logic of thinking Marcus isn’t good enough by adding Tannehill 🤔. It’s like Sharpe is a FA I believe after this season & Taywan has yet to develop into anything & Mariota is basically playing for an extension, & the past 3 seasons the Titans have finished 9-7. I’m no Genius but I think Robinson brought in Humphries & Brown to hell get his team over the hump in what is a make or break yr for the franchise QB. Mariota needs weapons 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The thing is, this argument would work a lot better if any of the other receivers were near his level of incompetence in the efficiency stats. They all played in the same offense, he was just the only one, out of a bad group, to catch less than 50% of his targets and average a full yard and a half per attempt less than Mariota’s season average.

Right so I’m sure you believe Taywan is better than Sharpe & 1 route Cameron Batson or Jennings or Mr drops Nick Williams. 

Just now, TitanRedd said:

Right so I’m sure you believe Taywan is better than Sharpe & 1 route Cameron Batson or Jennings or Mr drops Nick Williams. 

Taywan has at least one trait that differentiates himself. He’s bad, but at least he brings something to the table that we couldn’t just get by moving Firkser to WR.

11 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

No he’s doing his so call job, creating competition, if anything Taywan isn’t good enough & using your logic of thinking Marcus isn’t good enough by adding Tannehill 🤔. It’s like Sharpe is a FA I believe after this season & Taywan has yet to develop into anything & Mariota is basically playing for an extension, & the past 3 seasons the Titans have finished 9-7. I’m no Genius but I think Robinson brought in Humphries & Brown to hell get his team over the hump in what is a make or break yr for the franchise QB. Mariota needs weapons 🤷🏽‍♂️

Well...

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Lol Taywan and Tajae can’t even come close to competing with Humphries and if AJ wasn’t injured he would be ****ting on them both. You don’t spend 36 million and a 2nd round pick just for the sake of competing against 2 guys who had every chance to step up last year and failed to. You spend that to replace the guys who aren’t good enough.

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

What’s your argument without using the words “500 yards?”

I'll start by pointing out that arguing that any player is not an abysmally bad player without being able to talk about production is near impossible, but as it so happens, your argument is so bad that I actually can.

To start, let's get stats out of the way.  You keep talking about a 50% catch rate as if that's an unforgivably horrible figure, but it's first of all a raw stat that you give no explanation of.  Second, it's also where you're getting the YPT stat you're also using to make the argument.  The thing is, it doesn't account for balls thrown off target, throwaways, or anything else.  You act like it has anything to do with hands, but for comparison, Andre Johnson (a possible HOF receiver with undoubtedly great hands) that same year had an even worse catch percentage.  Way worse.  39.1%  Andre was past his prime, but I doubt too many people will argue that he suddenly had unreliable hands, which is one way to show that that's a garbage stat.

Now just to nip the argument that Andre was past his prime (and he was), I'll compare it to Delanie Walker.  He caught only 63.7% of his targeted passes, and Matthews, that year's top receiver, caught 60.1.  Not a huge difference.

Now to positive stats.  Sharpe caught 27 first down passes in 2016, good for third on the team, and second among receivers (percentage of overall catches was also comparable to Walker there).  He averaged 12.7 yards per catch as well, which isn't world beating, but it is a solid number (Walker's was 12.3 that year).

Next, there's the fact that, as a rookie, he managed to essentially become a starter.  That by itself, even on a team with bad receivers, puts him as an above average rookie player for the position, as you typically get very little in the way of production from receivers as rookies, unless they're one of the top performers in their class.

Thirdly, I'll rest on the laurels of others.  After the 2016 season, multiple redrafts put Sharpe in the first round.  Here's one, and I'm sure I could find more if I looked.

Last, before you go on an on about that catch rate, as if that somehow validates the objectively bad argument that Tajae Sharpe had a bad rookie season (much less abysmal), I'll share some other rookie receivers' catch rates for you:

Corey Davis: 52.3%

Will Fuller: 51%

Sterling Shepard: 61.9%

Amari Cooper: 55.4%

DeVante Parker: 50.9%

There.  And as per requirements, that's not even getting into the fact that he posted 522 yards as a rookie receiver, putting him fifth among rookies in production.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Lol Taywan and Tajae can’t even come close to competing with Humphries and if AJ wasn’t injured he would be ****ting on them both. You don’t spend 36 million and a 2nd round pick just for the sake of competing against 2 guys who had every chance to step up last year and failed to. You spend that to replace the guys who aren’t good enough.

😩🤣 so you hope news flash last I check the Titans aren’t so great at developing WR can anyone list a bunch of WR the Titans have drafted that didn’t develop. Just because the Titans spent a 2nd round pick on A.J. Brown doesn’t make him a lock to be starting. Hell were still trying to find out was Mr Davis top 5 pick worthy. Again Robinson signed Humphries & drafted AJ because he’s a man that believes in competing, for the better of the team. Again Taylor hasn’t developed Tajae hasn’t been healthy the past 2 seasons & Mariota has questions. Robinson is doing his Job just how he drafted hooker when we gave Vaccaro an extension & have Byard a top 5 safety 🤷🏽‍♂️ add more talent, depth is key 

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'll start by pointing out that arguing that any player is not an abysmally bad player without being able to talk about production is near impossible, but as it so happens, your argument is so bad that I actually can.

To start, let's get stats out of the way.  You keep talking about a 50% catch rate as if that's an unforgivably horrible figure, but it's first of all a raw stat that you give no explanation of.  Second, it's also where you're getting the YPT stat you're also using to make the argument.  The thing is, it doesn't account for balls thrown off target, throwaways, or anything else.  You act like it has anything to do with hands, but for comparison, Andre Johnson (a possible HOF receiver with undoubtedly great hands) that same year had an even worse catch percentage.  Way worse.  39.1%  Andre was past his prime, but I doubt too many people will argue that he suddenly had unreliable hands, which is one way to show that that's a garbage stat.

Now just to nip the argument that Andre was past his prime (and he was), I'll compare it to Delanie Walker.  He caught only 63.7% of his targeted passes, and Matthews, that year's top receiver, caught 60.1.  Not a huge difference.

Now to positive stats.  Sharpe caught 27 first down passes in 2016, good for third on the team, and second among receivers (percentage of overall catches was also comparable to Walker there).  He averaged 12.7 yards per catch as well, which isn't world beating, but it is a solid number (Walker's was 12.3 that year).

Next, there's the fact that, as a rookie, he managed to essentially become a starter.  That by itself, even on a team with bad receivers, puts him as an above average rookie player for the position, as you typically get very little in the way of production from receivers as rookies, unless they're one of the top performers in their class.

Thirdly, I'll rest on the laurels of others.  After the 2016 season, multiple redrafts put Sharpe in the first round.  Here's one, and I'm sure I could find more if I looked.

Last, before you go on an on about that catch rate, as if that somehow validates the objectively bad argument that Tajae Sharpe had a bad rookie season (much less abysmal), I'll share some other rookie receivers' catch rates for you:

Corey Davis: 52.3%

Will Fuller: 51%

Sterling Shepard: 61.9%

Amari Cooper: 55.4%

DeVante Parker: 50.9%

There.  And as per requirements, that's not even getting into the fact that he posted 522 yards as a rookie receiver, putting him fifth among rookies in production.

Aye not to mention his HC & QB have nothing but positive things to say how good he’s been & his versatility & how comfortable him & Marcus are & he’s reliable 🤷🏽‍♂️ vrabel doesn’t sugarcoat nothing