Minicamp/OTA/TC Thread

53 minutes ago, grizzans3222 said:

Shape isnt good, he also isnt terrible. hes just there. If he was on a team with other weapons, he could be decent, Like the saints or something. hes fine if you need a 4 or 5 that you can trust to make the right play. T

That’s all been saying serviceable can put up 400-700 yards 

30 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

You said he could be a #2wr. Dont backtrack now.

Naw you need to go back & read my post I’m not back tracking anything, if you read & stop skimming through, I’ve said from the jump he’s a #3 WR that’s a 4th  option on this team, that you hope can develop into a #2. Which still make him a 4th option after Davis, Delanie & Humphries. I said he can easily be a #2 on NewOrleans because they have nothing after Michael Thomas. ✌🏽Thank you good day now go back & do your homework 

5 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

That’s yo opinion again y’all not being realistic, first of all it’s not that many #3 WR in the league that are putting up 500-1000 yards receiving unless they’re a highly productive slot, 2nd of all he plays in a offense that is a run 1st offense run 1st, the same people saying he sucks are the same people that were saying Matt Lafleur play calling is predictable & he always have Marcus in 3rd & long situations. 2nd you can’t say a person sucks or can’t get open, when he doesn’t have a QB that consistently get him the ball to begin with, due to health, OL, or him not being able to go through his progression. Good QB’s can throw WR open. Tajae played on a bad ankle pretty much all last season & as I keep saying I like him as a 4th option 3rd receiver. With Corey, Humphries & Delanie coming back he can thrive in that role & is solid depth. Nobody talking facts, talking bout catch % & targets & he can separate, mane you run the same damn routes & playing for Idiot as a OC let’s see how it works 

Damn what do you know the same guy that put words in my mouth saying I call him a #2 WR is the same guy I addressed earlier today 🤦🏽‍♂️ & people say stop back tracking 😩🤣🤣

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

😩🤣 so you hope news flash last I check the Titans aren’t so great at developing WR can anyone list a bunch of WR the Titans have drafted that didn’t develop. Just because the Titans spent a 2nd round pick on A.J. Brown doesn’t make him a lock to be starting. Hell were still trying to find out was Mr Davis top 5 pick worthy. Again Robinson signed Humphries & drafted AJ because he’s a man that believes in competing, for the better of the team. Again Taylor hasn’t developed Tajae hasn’t been healthy the past 2 seasons & Mariota has questions. Robinson is doing his Job just how he drafted hooker when we gave Vaccaro an extension & have Byard a top 5 safety 🤷🏽‍♂️ add more talent, depth is key 

The era and coaching staff’s of Fisher, Munchak, Whisenhunt, and Mularkey have nothing to do with Vrabel’s era and staff, so bringing up our franchises past when talking about WR development literally means nothing. AJ was drafted to replace Sharpe and Taywan because they proved they weren’t good last year. Whether he does or not is a different story, but the point remains - they are not good - so Robinson spent resources to upgrade the position. Also, Sharpe not being healthy is part of the game so I don’t want to hear that excuse anymore. If you can’t perform hurt you aren’t contributing and that needs to start counting against him.

10 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

The era and coaching staff’s of Fisher, Munchak, Whisenhunt, and Mularkey have nothing to do with Vrabel’s era and staff, so bringing up our franchises past when talking about WR development literally means nothing. AJ was drafted to replace Sharpe and Taywan because they proved they weren’t good last year. Whether he does or not is a different story, but the point remains - they are not good - so Robinson spent resources to upgrade the position. Also, Sharpe not being healthy is part of the game so I don’t want to hear that excuse anymore. If you can’t perform hurt you aren’t contributing and that needs to start counting against him.

Somewhat agree availability is the best accountability, but for you to still keep saying that Brown was drafted to replace Tajae & Taylor man listen in the NFL people are drafted for competition as well, just like the Steelers they draft a WR pretty much every year. There’s no guarantee that because AJ was drafted he was going to start, if I were to use your logic you can say AJ was also brought in to take Corey Davis jobs, yes Corey has potential & is the best WR on the team but guess what, he’s underachieved for 5th overall pick & it’s time to see can he put it together before we pick up his option. Robinson went & got Weapons for mariota because it’s a make or break year for him & he’s trying to see can Marcus get us over the hump. AJ could’ve been drafted because the Titans had him high on their board & he was the best player available at the time just like how we drafted hooker, when you could argue we don’t need another safety we drafted Crushaink last yr & gave Vaccaro an extension 🗣competition my friend 

Edited by TitanRedd

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Somewhat agree availability is the best accountability, but for you to still keep saying that Brown was drafted to replace Tajae & Taylor man listen in the NFL people are drafted for competition as well, just like the Steelers they draft a WR pretty much every year. There’s no guarantee that because AJ was drafted he was going to start, if I were to use your logic you can say AJ was also brought in to take Corey Davis jobs, yes Corey has potential & is the best WR on the team but guess what, he’s underachieved for 5th overall pick & it’s time to see can he put it together before we pick up his option. Robinson went & got Weapons for mariota because it’s a make or break year for him & he’s trying to see can Marcus get us over the hump. AJ could’ve been drafted because the Titans had him high on their board & he was the best player available at the time just like how we drafted hooker, when you could argue we don’t need another safety we drafted Crushaink last yr & have Vaccaro an extension 🗣competition my friend 

That’s comparing apples to oranges. Cruikshank was drafted for special teams depth, he wasn’t drafted to compete against Byard and Cyprien (and what eventually turned into Vacarro) to try take their jobs. Same with Hooker. He was drafted for depth and 3 safety packages, not to try and take Byard/Vacarro’s job which is evidenced by Vacarro’s re-signing and Byard’s extension.

AJ Brown was drafted to compete against Sharpe and Taylor to try and take their jobs because they have proven they aren’t good.

6 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

That’s comparing apples to oranges. Cruikshank was drafted for special teams depth, he wasn’t drafted to compete against Byard and Cyprien (and what eventually turned into Vacarro) to try take their jobs. Same with Hooker. He was drafted for depth and 3 safety packages, not to try and take Byard/Vacarro’s job which is evidenced by Vacarro’s re-signing and Byard’s extension.

AJ Brown was drafted to compete against Sharpe and Taylor to try and take their jobs because they have proven they aren’t good.

Crushaink wasn’t drafted just for special teams we had Branden Tawrick at the time & vrabel said when we drafted him, they like his versatility he can play corner & safety, now granted he must have shown in practice that he’s raw & not that good therefore they went & drafted another safety, but back to what you’re saying I believe brown was drafted to push every WR, I said Day 1 this will be good for Davis because Brown is going to make Davis work harder, because brown has an alpha attitude They’ll feed off each other 

6 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Crushaink wasn’t drafted just for special teams we had Branden Tawrick at the time & vrabel said when we drafted him, they like his versatility he can play corner & safety, now granted he must have shown in practice that he’s raw & not that good therefore they went & drafted another safety, but back to what you’re saying I believe brown was drafted to push every WR, I said Day 1 this will be good for Davis because Brown is going to make Davis work harder, because brown has an alpha attitude They’ll feed off each other 

Yes there are things they liked about him which is why they drafted him, but my point is that they didn’t draft Cruikshank to come out of the gates and compete against Byard and Cyprien to try and take their jobs. They did draft Brown to come out of the gates to try and take Taywan and Tajae’s jobs and to also yes push Corey.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yes there are things they liked about him which is why they drafted him, but my point is that they didn’t draft Cruikshank to come out of the gates and compete against Byard and Cyprien to try and take their jobs. They did draft Brown to come out of the gates to try and take Taywan and Tajae’s jobs and to also yes push Corey.

💪🏽💯

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'll start by pointing out that arguing that any player is not an abysmally bad player without being able to talk about production is near impossible, but as it so happens, your argument is so bad that I actually can.

Talking about a single bulk stat isn't talking about production, it's relying on a near meaningless stat to dismiss an argument.

To start, let's get stats out of the way.  You keep talking about a 50% catch rate as if that's an unforgivably horrible figure, but it's first of all a raw stat that you give no explanation of.  Second, it's also where you're getting the YPT stat you're also using to make the argument.  The thing is, it doesn't account for balls thrown off target, throwaways, or anything else.  You act like it has anything to do with hands, but for comparison, Andre Johnson (a possible HOF receiver with undoubtedly great hands) that same year had an even worse catch percentage.  Way worse.  39.1%  Andre was past his prime, but I doubt too many people will argue that he suddenly had unreliable hands, which is one way to show that that's a garbage stat.

I will grant you that yes, Tajae was better than a receiver so bad that he retired midway through the season. Granted, using a 22 target sample size of a 35-year old receiver is funny in and of itself. And no, I don't act like it has a lot to do with hands (that would've been his drop percentage), I act like it has a lot to do with his inability to separate, his lack of strength at the point of attack and the tiny passing window that he gives his quarterback due to having zero positive traits. 

6 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Now just to nip the argument that Andre was past his prime (and he was), I'll compare it to Delanie Walker.  He caught only 63.7% of his targeted passes, and Matthews, that year's top receiver, caught 60.1.  Not a huge difference.

Wait..what? 63.7 and 60.1 aren't a huge difference from 49.3? Seriously? I mean, it's only the difference between a league-average completion percentage and being last in the league.

Now to positive stats.  Sharpe caught 27 first down passes in 2016, good for third on the team, and second among receivers (percentage of overall catches was also comparable to Walker there).  He averaged 12.7 yards per catch as well, which isn't world beating, but it is a solid number (Walker's was 12.3 that year).

The guy with the third most targets on the team ranking third in firsts downs is good. I guess? 12.7 yards per catch for a possession outside receiver is a bad number. He's not an underneath guy, he's not a tight end. He was last among WR's on the team (excluding AJ) so that's fun I suppose.

Last, before you go on an on about that catch rate, as if that somehow validates the objectively bad argument that Tajae Sharpe had a bad rookie season (much less abysmal), I'll share some other rookie receivers' catch rates for you:

Corey Davis: 52.3%

Will Fuller: 51%

Sterling Shepard: 61.9%

Amari Cooper: 55.4%

DeVante Parker: 50.9%

So, even when making your point, you still couldn't actually find a rookie receiver that was worse than him?

Next, there's the fact that, as a rookie, he managed to essentially become a starter.  That by itself, even on a team with bad receivers, puts him as an above average rookie player for the position, as you typically get very little in the way of production from receivers as rookies, unless they're one of the top performers in their class.

And really, in the end, this is always what the argument boiled down to. That he can't be terrible because he started as a rookie. Look at our 2016 receivers for a second. Rishard Matthews. Kendall Wright. Harry Douglas. Andre Johnson. Do you notice a theme? In three years, none of them are in the league anymore. That's the hurdle Sharpe had to clear, to beat out a bunch of other No. 4s and 5s for a starting job. He went on to average 32 yards per game. That's what we're calling real production. A receiver finishes a game with three catches for 32 yards and you really think to yourself that they were productive today? He wasn't productive. On a mediocre offense, the team was significantly worse off for throwing to him. On a team with terrible receivers, the option least likely to gain yards was Tajae. Because he was bad. And he's still bad.

• Like 2