Indianapolis Colts aren't SB Contenders

Activated10

I think they have a bright future.

I think they are one of the best teams in the AFC. I see them as possibly slightly better than last year but that's very likely not enough for a SB.

I also have Pats, Chiefs and Chargers as better. The Browns we have to see.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, Activated10 said:

Secondary not good enough, Ty Hilton only playmaker on offense. I want to see more than 1 good year from Ebron before I call him a legit player

You do realize we added Funchess in FA and Parris Campbell through the draft right? Not to mention if Cain comes back successfully from his injury, this WR corp has the potential to be dangerous in the league.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, Nightime said:

Yeah that receiving corp isn’t scary

Your receiving corp isn't scary either lol.

Edited by ManningGM
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:30 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Elite is a word I don't throw around lightly. You don't get to 10,000 plus posts on this site (over the last 7 years) without having your fair share of disagreements. I tend to err on the side of veteran posters when I say that elite is a term reserved for the very best in the NFL and no more than that.

Luck by no means is an elite qb, nor has he ever been an elite qb.

I can make an exceedingly strong argument that he's padded his stats for years against a poor division. He has a postseason passer rating of 73, which is brutally bad. He laid down and died vs KC last year, a team that I may add can still be considered very talented.

As to your analogy to New England. New England is a powerhouse and they lost 1 game to the Titans in the regular season. The postseason is a different animal and they dominate it consistently.  Never put the Colts in the same sentence as the Patriots (and this sickens me, as I'm a freakin Raiders fan). By your logic, the Raiders last year (with a laughably bad roster) played the Chiefs far closer in one of our regular season games than the Colts did in the playoffs and therefore the Raiders should be considered better than the Colts? See how this goes both ways?

As much as the colts "should" (your words, not mine) own the AFC south, it's actually poised to be a competitive division AGAIN and the Colts I may add haven't won it since 2014 by virtue of the competitiveness of these teams. I can make excellent arguments as to why all of those teams are poised to be better this year.

Looking at the AFC:

Teams I'd take over the Colts today:

Patriots, Chiefs, Chargers. All without blinking.

IMO, the colts are in that next tier with teams like the Browns, Steelers, Texans, and Titans.  All good teams with potential, but haven't proven enough, or have enough on the roster yet to be in that top tier.

As for their offseason, I actually wasn't a big fan of their draft this year. I didn't particularly like Ya Sin, Banogu, Okereke or Campbell (preferred McLaurin to him).

Regarding FA, I like Houston. That was a good signing. As for Funchess, not really. Ware is also a good signing. But again, not anything HUGE, unless you think Houston will be transformative to the defense.

So while it may be a clear answer to you,  it isn't to me.

Chiefs just took a dip this offseason. Besides the Clark acquisition, nothing they've done so far has convinced me they have what it takes to make it back to the AFC Championship Game. Possibly losing Hill is a BIG blow.

Edited by ManningGM

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:05 AM, Daniel said:

And the Patriots, who won the Super Bowl, got annihilated by the Titans.  I guess pencil in the Titans for the Super Bowl.

I still don't really understand why you think they're not contenders.  They should own their conference with Luck healthy, as they've dominated in the past when he was healthy, they had a great draft, you seem to agree they have a great roster.  What is it you don't like, exactly?  Their secondary, which they addressed with three picks in the draft, isn't elite?  Is that it?

They were better in the last half of 2018 than the first half, they are elite at QB, OL, and above average at LB and WR, and added a ton of talent this offseason.

I think the biggest thing about the Colts' rise to prominence is their front office/coaching staff. Night and day difference from the previous regime. Irsay did God's work with the Ballard and Reich hires, the franchise is going to go really far with this group. Even Howard Mudd came out of retirement for this O-line....my goodness.

When you got people like Ballard, Ed Dodds, Rex Hogan behind the scenes, things are gonna be alright.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, Blackstar12 said:

They were a Top 10 Offense last year. The additions of Campbell , Funchess and Cain return is definitely going to improve the passing game. The addition of Spencer ware will also help the run game. It’s the defense that’s going to be a question this season.

11th ranked defense last season, just a well balanced machine really. I think our defense will actually be one of our main strengths. I'm vibing with our past draft.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:19 PM, Danger said:

They ARE Super Bowl Contenders

They ARE NOT Super Bowl Favorites/Top Contenders at this point in time.

If were being real, you can say this with 31 other teams Not name the Patriots as Well.

When was the last time a "Favorite" going into the season Won the SB? 08' Steelers? I guess the 15' Broncos would count? Broken Manning and all?

Teams like the Panthers, Falcons, Eagles, Rams come out of the wood works all the time. Only the Patriots are stopping the Colts or any AFC team TBH from doing the same.

To much Parity and Injury in the NFL occurs to Predetermin who will be there  in February.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

If were being real, you can say this with 31 other teams Not name the Patriots as Well.

When was the last time a "Favorite" going into the season Won the SB? 08' Steelers? I guess the 15' Broncos would count? Broken Manning and all?

Teams like the Panthers, Falcons, Eagles, Rams come out of the wood works all the time. Only the Patriots are stopping the Colts or any AFC team TBH from doing the same.

To much Parity and Injury in the NFL occurs to Predetermin who will be there  in February.

"Favorites" In my opinion comes down to the top 4-5 teams in the league. usually there's a sort of clear line that those teams are above everyone else.