Indianapolis Colts aren't SB Contenders

Activated10

If I were the OP and I wanted to defend my statement I would say that the biggest reason the Colts aren’t SB contenders is that they overachieved last year, they are going to come back down to earth a little and the improvements they made are going to help them stabilize their roster to be bigger threats down the road, but not now.

There is also the threat of the Chiefs becoming their playoff roadblock for years to come. Jaguars having an average to above average QB could be another issue in the division if the Texans and Titans aren’t enough. 

But New England(Brady) is a year older, the Chiefs lost some good pieces (potential Hill loss could cost them) and the Texans OL might be a year away from being real solid. Mariota’s year 5 “make or break” season could spell the end of that relationship. 

With all that said, the Colts are going to start out slow this season because of their early schedule and they are going to need to have a good 4-5 game winning streak in the middle of the season to make sure they don’t fall too far off the division leader.

They should contend for the division title.

They should contend for the wild card.

They will not be hoisting any participation banners anymore. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 4:56 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

The only reason they aren't is that they'll have to go through one or both of KC and NE in their place, probably. Luck may have to wait a few years before taking NE down, finally. 

I do think they have the pieces though - I think you may be being harsh. They're the favorites for the 'next Patriots' model, for a lot of people.

So, agreed, but for different reasons.

I like the Colts, I just think their a year too early and need to go through a little bit more growing pains. I have them as very early favorites for SB in the 2020 season

8 hours ago, ManningGM said:

You do realize we added Funchess in FA and Parris Campbell through the draft right? Not to mention if Cain comes back successfully from his injury, this WR corp has the potential to be dangerous in the league.

Your receiving corp isn't scary either lol.

Your right about Funchess as I do like him as a big sized WR and rezone target. Also loved the selection of Campbell as he's going to be dangerous in the open field.

Maybe my statement was too strong about saying Colts aren't SB contenders, I just don't think their ready to take the next step to be in the SB. I could easily see them going to the AFCCG but I would be extremely shocked if they were in the SB, even though they got the talent and coaching staff to do it.

3 hours ago, Nightime said:

They do benefit from a weak division.

Personally I’d pump the breaks. A few months ago they were the most “complete team in the NFL” and (for some reason) were expected by many to waltz over KC in the playoffs

AFC south isn’t a bottom tier division anymore. It isn’t the best but it’s definitely improving.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

AFC south isn’t a bottom tier division anymore. It isn’t the best but it’s definitely improving.

If I'm being honest, the only thing holding that division back from being top tier is Mariota.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

If were being real, you can say this with 31 other teams Not name the Patriots as Well.

When was the last time a "Favorite" going into the season Won the SB? 08' Steelers? I guess the 15' Broncos would count? Broken Manning and all?

Teams like the Panthers, Falcons, Eagles, Rams come out of the wood works all the time. Only the Patriots are stopping the Colts or any AFC team TBH from doing the same.

To much Parity and Injury in the NFL occurs to Predetermin who will be there  in February.

Yeah I would say most of the time the team that won the SB was at least considered a top 4-5 team going into the season.

The only real exceptions I can think of this decade are the Eagles last year and the Giants in 2011.

3 hours ago, KellChippy said:

Any team that can control the LOS is a contender

2018 Offense:

20th in total rushing yards

22nd in YPA

20th in rushing yards / game

13th in rushing DVOA offense

2018 Defense:

4th in rushing DVOA defense

8th in total rushing yards allowed

6th in yards / attempt

7th in yards / game

Looks like they've got the pieces on defense, but not offense. Not to mention I don't see any reason to believe Luck can lead that team to a Superbowl against good competition.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Yeah I would say most of the time the team that won the SB was at least considered a top 4-5 team going into the season.

The only real exceptions I can think of this decade are the Eagles last year and the Giants in 2011.

Eagles were 7-9 the year before their SB

Panthers  7-8-1 

Falcons 8-8 

Giants 8-8

Saints 8-8, 7-9

Cards 8-8

Happens more often then you might think.

52 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

2018 Offense:

20th in total rushing yards

22nd in YPA

20th in rushing yards / game

13th in rushing DVOA offense

2018 Defense:

4th in rushing DVOA defense

8th in total rushing yards allowed

6th in yards / attempt

7th in yards / game

Looks like they've got the pieces on defense, but not offense. Not to mention I don't see any reason to believe Luck can lead that team to a Superbowl against good competition.

I’m with you on Luck but at least he had great pass pro last year.

Do you have those numbers for the second half of the season? I thought they’d be better

As I suspected, their weighted offensive DVOA was top 5.  Weighted DVOA gives more value to recent play.  They had an atrocious start, Marlon Mack was banged up, new coaching staff etc.  This is total offensive DVOA, not just rushing.

I don’t think looking at season totals is the most accurate way to evaluate their potential.