Activated10

Tony Dungy an elite HC  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Was Tony Dungy an elite HC

• Yes, there's a reason he made it to HOF as HC
    • Only on the Bucs, average on the Colts
    • No, he was always overrated

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2019 at 09:14 PM

On 6/2/2019 at 9:34 AM, coltstrong said:

that defense got smoke by brady in the afc championship .     in the regular season in 2006 they had the worst defense in the league gave up 200 yards rushing so many times .    peyton played against the ravens in baltimore and bears elite defense .    you really think with average QB   colts win in 06 .    the bears would walk threw them . 

when brady puts up the same stats in the superbowl last year  that peyton did in 2015   do you say brady was carried to that win? or in 01  when brady put up horrible numbers ? 

The 2006 Colts defense gave up an average of 14.5 PPG during that playoff run. I don’t care what they did in the regular season. They carried that team to a title. Peyton had the lowest passer rating of any Super Bowl winning qb over the course of an entire playoff run

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

HELL NO.

When looking back over his career with Indy and Peyton, they underachieved like crazy.

If he was even a *good/great* coach they would have won multiple titles.

You do realize that no coach won more games from 02-08?

21 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

With a top 3 all time QB that isn't surprising. What was surprising was continually fielding poor defenses year after year for this "great" defensive coach.

Dungy was winning with the Bucs, who were by far the biggest joke in the league when he was hired, and he built the defense that won the Super Bowl. He was a bad call away from going to the Super Bowl with Shaun freaking King as his QB.

It's also a myth that the Colts "continually" fielded poor defenses under Dungy. Here are their rankings during Dungy's tenure:

2002: 7th (Dungy inherited the worst defense from last year)

2003: 20th

2004: 19th

2005: 2nd

2006: 23rd (defense completely turned around in the postseason)

2007: 1st

2008: 7th

Edited by Elky

On 5/19/2019 at 9:49 AM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Especially Rypien. Theismann was the best of the three, but I wouldn't have him in any HOVG discussion let alone HOF.

Rypien was AMAZING in '91. Of course, if you want to credit that to Gibbs and the high-caliber supporting cast, I wouldn't dispute it. Rypien was a legit NFL starter for several years, so he wasn't an absolute turd or anything. 

Parcells gets similar consideration - he won with a HOVG QB in Simms, with a Rypien-like guy in Hostetler, and turned around the fortunes of 3 separate franchises. That's some damn good coaching. 

On 5/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, Buc Ball said:

As for Grossman, he was never a superstar, but how bad he was in 2006 gets exaggerated as the years pass. During that season, he was a decent game manager who could keep an offence ticking over and force a defence to at least consider the passing game. He had a few terrible games that year though, which are the ones which tend to get brought up.

I feel like Grossman was an example of "if Brett Favre's development had stalled in '93" - a QB who was inconsistent, turnover prone, and would more often throw you out of a game as much as throw you back into one. Of course, the flip side of that is you have a player with a great arm and fearlessness; but if it isn't harnessed, the guy won't be a long-term answer.

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Rypien was AMAZING in '91. Of course, if you want to credit that to Gibbs and the high-caliber supporting cast, I wouldn't dispute it. Rypien was a legit NFL starter for several years, so he wasn't an absolute turd or anything. 

Parcells gets similar consideration - he won with a HOVG QB in Simms, with a Rypien-like guy in Hostetler, and turned around the fortunes of 3 separate franchises. That's some damn good coaching. 

Rypien did play amazing that year, but so did the rest of his supporting cast. They all played over their head (I am not as high on the 91 Skins as a lot of people). And, I wouldn't consider Hoss as a Rypien-like guy. He was a better QB than Mark was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kramxel said:

Honestly, I don't understand why he gets such a bad rep.

He doesn't get a bad rep, in fact, it's just the opposite; Talking heads still gush over Dungy, and always have.  Probably why this thread was started.  He's a good coach, no doubt about it, but I certainly think it's fair to question his eliteness...

One SB, and lets be honest, he had almost nothing to do with the offense, which carried the Colts for most of his time there.  And no, his defenses were not as good as the ones he had in Tampa, and the reason why is PLAYERS...

Everyone goes on and on about the defense he 'built' in Tampa.  How could he not be successful?? He had 5 Hall of Fame caliber players on that unit, not to mention a number of solid role players like Booger, Shelton Quarles, and Dexter Jackson.  I give more credit to Rich McKay for bringing in those players than I do Dungy being some guru...

The year after Dungy was fired, the Bucs defense led the league in points and yards, something never accomplished under Dungy.  Tampa of course won the superbowl that year, and for some reason, people still to this day try to swing credit to Dungy, even though he was never able to get it done with virtually the same roster Gruden 'inherited'...  The Bucs were a very good team under Dungy, but when Playoff time rolled around, they never seemed to be prepared, and that trait followed him to Indy, as they routinely dominated during the regular season only to be kicked in the gut, when it mattered.

He has his ring; he changed the losing culture in Tampa and Indy, turning those franchises into perennial playoff teams; and has a pretty solid winning percentage, so for that, all due credit, but NOT elite.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:06 PM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Rypien did play amazing that year, but so did the rest of his supporting cast. They all played over their head (I am not as high on the 91 Skins as a lot of people). And, I wouldn't consider Hoss as a Rypien-like guy. He was a better QB than Mark was.

Sure, they may have played above their heads, but when you look at the metrics and not the pedigree, that '91 Washington team was one of the most dominant of the SB era.